DJI F450 "batwing" camera bracket

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
It seems the best way to get steady video from the Gopro is by using 720 60p. The problem is that the camera has only one field of view option at 170 deg. There really isnt anywhere on the F450 to stick the camera without seeing props or legs. So I have created the "BatWing." The battery seems to fit pretty well on the bottom and still balance out. But you can get a second one to put battery on rear arms as well.

2"x10"x3/32" carbon fiber.
27.8 grams

fits the GoPro sticky pads perfectly in the middle.

Attaches via zip ties and still allows ESC's to be placed in their normal locations.

Video is nice and smooth, perhaps assisted by the stiffening of the arms. Platform is surprisingly rigid using just the zipties.

$12/each.

$5 shipping continental USA. $10 international shipping.

Paypal (or questions) to YuriReiter@gmail.com

thanks

View attachment 2532View attachment 2533View attachment 2534View attachment 2535

Attachments

• DSC00447.jpg
    DSC00447.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 606
  • DSC00450.jpg
    DSC00450.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 492
  • DSC00452.jpg
    DSC00452.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 469
  • DSC00454.jpg
    DSC00454.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 490
Last edited by a moderator:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
video coming up. I did consider bolting but it adds weight and requires additional hardware. There is no reason you cant bolt it on with whats there.

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Very nice. You could also very easily put some gel pads between the frame and wing to reduce vibes.

Regards,

Gunter.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Gunter, I was thinking the same. If one of you tried it before me, let me know how it works. When hard mounting a gopro it is so hard to get that resonating frequency out of the image. I am not claiming that this is the miracle solution for this. It's main purpose is to get the legs and props out of the image.

gadgetkeith

likes gadgets
nice one Yuri

if you had one front and another rear then as you got it gopro under fpv cam ontop

fpv tx etc on the rear also help ballance things out

also more $ selling in pairs

great stuff

keith

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
There are definitely benefits to having one on the rear for reasons you just mentioned. Here's a quick video of 720 60p. I have tried every prop in my arsenal and multiple resolutions, inside and outside all with different gains. Took me forever. but i can say that this bracket doesn't seem to make a hell of a lot of difference with vibrations compared to slapping it under the frame. I was hoping it would stiffen up the whole thing and get rid of some vibes but I am coming to the conclusion that this has to with the fact you are hard mounting a gopro! The props really need to be dialed into a specific speed that does not have interfering harmonics with the video. My video outside was definitely more shaky than the indoor video. Just being honest. I have my gains at 150/150/130/100/80/80. Flying 3s 5500 battery and the stock props seem to work best. the 11x5 graupners are way too much for this load. I would love to try the 10x5's. I have 10x4.7 APC's but they are off from drilling them slightly off. APC's kinda suck because they vary from one to the other. The height is different enough that some lock with the nut and others will still spin without a washer. All props were magnetically balanced. I think getting better motors would help as well.

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Gunter, I was thinking the same. If one of you tried it before me, let me know how it works. When hard mounting a gopro it is so hard to get that resonating frequency out of the image. I am not claiming that this is the miracle solution for this. It's main purpose is to get the legs and props out of the image.

If you have well balanced props and decent motors, those vibes should almost disappear...as long as there aren't any other loose mountings!

Here's a video that I did with a gopro hard mounted to the frame. At the time I used cheap props which I balanced myself (they were miles off) and the esc's were loads smaller than they should have been!

Fast forward to 00:30 if time is limited :)

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
thats pretty damn good gopro footage especially flying nose in. I think the large helis do better as well. more mass is always a plus.

Orracle

I am nearly ready start mounting my recently acquired gopro to my quad, and have looked at various possibilities. What I have noticed with the quick release mount is that it has a little bit of play, if this connection was more secure would it not aid the vibration issue mentioned in this thread by eleminating this weak link? I know there are many other to factors to consider, but eliminating one of them would help. I have looked into getting the tripod mount for my go pro as I think that will be more secure than the quick release. With your batwing design you could just add a hole in the centre to utilize the tripod mount? Just my thoughts :)

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
In addition to using the rubber piece they give you, stick a business card in there to get rid of that play. Works fine.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Im sure it would help if you had vibrations that bad. It would have been nice to see what the coin did without the big steel block.

tstrike

pendejo grande
those wire rope isolaters breezemont is selling are dope.... and plastic/cheap.
It's funny how well they work, I haven't done any adjustments to mine since I first built it and never see the slightest hint of jello. I'm ditching my homemade gimbal and am going to try it on a hex with a sony dsc-hx9v, a well known jello box, but I feel success is high.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Can someone who has my legs on the f550 tell me if they show up on the gopro when attached to the batwing? I had a customer ask and I wasn't sure since I don't own one.

dr427

Trying to figure it out!
It was me. I ordered the batwing. But yeah, I'm curious how to keep the legs out of the gopro frame or if they even show up in a hexa while mounted to the batwing. I'm sure the legs would if the gopro was mounted in the center, but being pushed forward I'm hoping it doesn't so I can lose the cheap landing gear in favor of legs.