DJI 450 - Beginner Questions

ryanbe15

Hi all,

I've been flying gas aerobatic plans for 2 years now. I have a DX18 and now looking to get into some filming of friends while they are flying and possibly down the road doing some FPV. I have never flown a quad and know little about them.

As i fly Pilot-RC airplanes i saw the DIJI 450 with naza m-lite for 399 on chief's website (i have found some other sites where they are cheaper).

So few question....

In generic terms, what is the difference between naza m-lite and naza M v2. Will i need the V2 for what i want to do?
What RX will i need...i have a few spektrum RX's lying around (4-6channel)?
Will the DIJI 450 be stable enough for me to learn on and is it durable enough to sustain a few crashes?
What size LIPO are folks running and how long can you fly?

Thanks,
Ryan

bensid54

I have a DJI450 with a Naza light with GPS my radio is a Futaba FG12 and I have a 14 channel receiver. Two 2250 3 cell 35c batteries in parallel power everything I get about 12 minutes flight time on this setup. I use six of the receivers channels to operate the controller and run a two axis FPV camera so I would get a receiver that is capable of more than six channels. I just love this machine and it can take a beating unlike a plane or helicopter for example yesterday when I contacted some tree branches at about 20 feet up I dropped the throttle it fell into the bushes and received no damage. Now if that was an RC heli I would be rebuilding it and tuning it for the next two days. There's a lot of info out there on these and a lot of help here good luck.

FlyGirl

Hi all,

I've been flying gas aerobatic plans for 2 years now. I have a DX18 and now looking to get into some filming of friends while they are flying and possibly down the road doing some FPV. I have never flown a quad and know little about them.

As i fly Pilot-RC airplanes i saw the DIJI 450 with naza m-lite for 399 on chief's website (i have found some other sites where they are cheaper).

So few question....

In generic terms, what is the difference between naza m-lite and naza M v2. Will i need the V2 for what i want to do?
What RX will i need...i have a few spektrum RX's lying around (4-6channel)?
Will the DIJI 450 be stable enough for me to learn on and is it durable enough to sustain a few crashes?
What size LIPO are folks running and how long can you fly?

Thanks,
Ryan

Hi Ryan :) I have the same set up as Ben does but I use Spektrum.... You want to use the ar8000 8 channel receiver so that you can set your switches up for a quad and it also has true failsafe in that it remembers all channel positions unlike receivers with SmartSafe that only remember the throttle position. Using the ar8000 the quad will go into return to home mode in case you lose signal. And you will have no problems flying the 450 with your experience. I am running a 5000mAh 4s 14.8v battery and get about 8 minutes but that is with on screen display being powered off the flight pack. If I bypass the OSD I get about 12 minutes. I also have FPV set up on it but I power that on a separate battery. Anyways, I think you would have a ball with the quad as you have outlined it... :)

ryanbe15

Hi all,

Sorry for asking probably redundant questions that's probably answered else where.

OSD? Does this mean the NAZA M Lite has the capabilities to send video signal back to some sort of screen?

What does NAZA 2 with LED and PMU get me?

For now i'm just trying to learn to fly a quad and make some video with a gopro or the likes once i learn how to fly.

COMike93yj

Still Building!
Ryan,

I have similar ???'s to you. I am going to be building a 450 in the future but I run a Spektrum DX8 transmitter like FlyGirl does. I am using a NanoQX as a simple BNF "trainer" in the house right now. It is a fun little quad and can help if you have problems with learning nose in....You said you fly RC airplanes and that will help but have you flown RC Helis? The reason I ask is because I have flown RC planes but the learning curve for heli's is much harder (at least for me). Quads are similar in various aspects.

Mike :)

FlyGirl

Hi all,

Sorry for asking probably redundant questions that's probably answered else where.

OSD? Does this mean the NAZA M Lite has the capabilities to send video signal back to some sort of screen?

What does NAZA 2 with LED and PMU get me?

For now i'm just trying to learn to fly a quad and make some video with a gopro or the likes once i learn how to fly.

No prob Ryan... That's why everyone is here, to help! :)

OSD is independent of the flight controller and is part of the FPV system so yes, it will work with just about any flight controller if not all of them. The flight controller has no part in sending back video signals. That is a function of the video transmitter (VTx), camera, video receiver (VRx), and display, whether it is goggles or a monitor. The OSD is a separate electronic board that manages sensor input and then sends the info to the VTx which then sends it to the VRx and is displayed on the goggles or monitor. My EzOSD samples the flight battery power and also has a GPS chip and barometer to calculate altitude, speed, heading, etc..

NAZA 2 is more precise than the Lite and also can be upgraded via firmware. The Lite is stuck at version 1.

COMike93yj

Still Building!
No prob Ryan... That's why everyone is here, to help! :)

OSD is independent of the flight controller and is part of the FPV system so yes, it will work with just about any flight controller if not all of them. The flight controller has no part in sending back video signals. That is a function of the video transmitter (VTx), camera, video receiver (VRx), and display, whether it is goggles or a monitor. The OSD is a separate electronic board that manages sensor input and then sends the info to the VTx which then sends it to the VRx and is displayed on the goggles or monitor. My EzOSD samples the flight battery power and also has a GPS chip and barometer to calculate altitude, speed, heading, etc..

NAZA 2 is more precise than the Lite and also can be upgraded via firmware. The Lite is stuck at version 1.

FlyGirl....

Thanks for answering everyone's questions. I have one for you about the DX8.....being new to the realm of multirotor RC would you be able to let me know just why folks would need a 4 chan vs 6 chan vs 8 chan as far as Transmitters go? I am still trying to figure out why more channels are better.

Thanks!

FlyGirl

FlyGirl....

Thanks for answering everyone's questions. I have one for you about the DX8.....being new to the realm of multirotor RC would you be able to let me know just why folks would need a 4 chan vs 6 chan vs 8 chan as far as Transmitters go? I am still trying to figure out why more channels are better.

Thanks!

Hi Mike! The more channels you have then the more gizmos you can operate by switch! It will come in handy when you get a gimbal!

COMike93yj

Still Building!
Hi Mike! The more channels you have then the more gizmos you can operate by switch! It will come in handy when you get a gimbal!

FlyGirl....Got it....so I could potentially figure out a way to have different devices turn on and off with the switches. Gimbal as you stated or even turning off lights and such.

bensid54

A gimbal can require up to two channels on your receiver on it's own then if you want other stuff like folding landing gear then you need another channel or you may want to control your camera while in the air then more channels are needed. I think you see where this is going.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
On my Discovery Pro I use eight channels, aileron, rudder, elevator and throttle, these are the basics that everyone will use, then I have flight mode and Intelligent Orientation Control (IOC), gimbal pitch and then camera switch to switch from flight camera to GoPro and back again. Currently using a 7008SB Rx so have the Naza connected via one cable, I then only need the cameras switch plugged through with a second cable.

It is possible but not recommended to use a channel for gimbal roll.

I could use a second receiver to add another six channels if I wanted to control other things like lights, landing gear, etc.

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:

FlyGirl

On my Discovery Pro I use eight channels, aileron, rudder, elevator and throttle, these are the basics that everyone will use, then I have flight mode and Intelligent Orientation Control (IOC), gimbal pitch and then camera switch to switch from flight camera to GoPro and back again. Currently using a 7008SB Rx so have the Naza connected via one cable, I then only need the cameras switch plugged through with a second cable.

It is possible but not recommended to use a channel for gimbal roll.

I could use a second receiver to add another six channels if I wanted to control other things like lights, landing gear, etc.

Pete

Nice cuts on the vid Pete!

So anyways, there are plenty of uses for extra channels...!

COMike93yj

Still Building!
Wow Folks!

Thanks a TON for the information!!!! Now I am beginning to see the utility of having many channels! The information is, to be honest, overwhelming! More homework for me!!!!

Pete....cool video!!!! Thanks for putting it up here!

bensid54

Cool video Pete! I am still totally terrified to fly my stuff over water something about flying RC helicopters for a few years does that to you.

FlyGirl

Cool video Pete! I am still totally terrified to fly my stuff over water something about flying RC helicopters for a few years does that to you.

Me too Ben....! I plunked one of the V959 quads into a lake... Blub blub blub.... It sunk to the bottom....

bensid54

I would be choked if that happened to me Flygirl I'd have to go find a good shrink at that point. Is that your beast in the avitar? That is one very cool machine do you have a better picture?

FlyGirl

I would be choked if that happened to me Flygirl I'd have to go find a good shrink at that point. Is that your beast in the avitar? That is one very cool machine do you have a better picture?

I was shocked Ben.... My fault though. I ran the battery down too far on a previous flight and damaged the cell... DOH! And yep, that's my 450 in the avatar. Here's the original pic and one other. Nothin' special but I'm sure having fun!

View attachment 14834View attachment 14835

Attachments

• Drone Large.jpg
    Drone Large.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 276
  • quad 1.jpg
    quad 1.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 314