Dealing With the Public

pj1967

i would like to know if anyone has ever had a bad or good experience with there Rig when dealing with inquisitive people asking questions or insults being thrown at you that your drone is there to spy on them.
So i will start -

Now the majority of people who approach me have been good Natured and are quite interested in what im doing and i take time to explain what i do with my Rig, now i like to get out early mornings or late afternoon's so it cuts down on the amount of Joe Public who are around but on one particular day im taking some photo.s of a Barrage that was built in Cardiff Bay, when i noticed a gentleman heading over to me, so i quickly brought down my Rig and turned it off, when this gent approached me and starting asking questions about what i was doing, now up to this point, i was having a good chat and he was asking me where i worked and so on when this guy started coming over all paranoid, by stating whats stopping me or people like me spying on them thru there open windows and spying on children in schools or parks or even putting a bomb on one and the police should be notified of these things as he called them, he then duly notified me he was reporting me to the local authorities and took a photo with his mobile phone and then walked off to which i said goodbye.

i haven't had the the pleasure of dealing with the police yet, but know doubt it will happen oh well cant please them all.

maxwelltub

Ironic that he is concerned with privacy and then ends the conversation by taking a photo of you without permission. I have had to answer these type of questions on occasion. I usually explain that if you are worried about privacy, you should take a look at the world you live in. Everyone carries around a gps device that can track your location, everyone has a camera on them and snapping photos constantly, everyone willing post too much information about themselves on all forms of social media. So if you are worried about spying and privacy, using a loud cumbersome remote helicopter is not the most effective way to do that. It's not practical.

THE POSITIVE:
I test fly my MRs at a nearby soccer/track field that is in a former army barracks area.... no residential housing close by and often overlooked by most of the nearby neighbourhoods. When there are people using it though, I move to one of the nearby alternate sites. When flying in the former army barrack areas, the local security guards often drop by to watch. They are intrigued and indicate they have no issues with my flying and am welcome back any time. There is also a cinematography studio close by and the local film crew for the TV series - Heartland stops by to watch when they are waiting for their bus to take them to their rural screen set. 99% of the people who watch are very intrigued and ask interesting questions after I land.

THE NEGATIVE: See my next posting.

pj1967

Ironic that he is concerned with privacy and then ends the conversation by taking a photo of you without permission. I have had to answer these type of questions on occasion. I usually explain that if you are worried about privacy, you should take a look at the world you live in. Everyone carries around a gps device that can track your location, everyone has a camera on them and snapping photos constantly, everyone willing post too much information about themselves on all forms of social media. So if you are worried about spying and privacy, using a loud cumbersome remote helicopter is not the most effective way to do that. It's not practical.
Its what i tried to explain, but some people don't want to listen, thats why i would like to see or find out what other Operators like ourselves have to put up with for their passion of flying, me i love it and the positive attitudes by far outnumber the Negatives and i like explain to people, so when they see any in the future they wont have a negative attitude towards anything unmanned.

Many questions are designed to lead directly toward further confrontation and/or an argument. These tend to come from small minded individuals that are very legalistic or specifically trained to ask the following types of questions: leading questions, pointed question and loaded questions...... lawyers, media reporters, salesmen, neighborhood watch dogs etc.

The almost benign "leading" question is likely to be the first one asked but gives the discerning and well prepared pilot the opportunity to deflect the conversation towards a more positive direction.
The pointed question tends to throw the MR pilot a bit off balance...... such that one falls in to a debate leading quickly towards an argument (your last chance to have a deflecting answer ready to avoid conflict).
The loaded question is most often nearly impossible to answer....... e.g., "Are you still beating your wife?" as is assumes you are already guilty.

Except for a flashing red LED on your aerial camera no-one can tell whether you are recording or simply using a live video feed..... indicate the live feed enhances flight safety... pilot is trained in responsible and safe flying skills and redundant safety features are designed in to ensure the highest possible flight safety....... and fly well away from the public where ever possible.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
The police rarely make time for nuisance calls by neighborhood watch dogs!
In any case this is another reason for having an assistant/spotter also prepared to intervene indicating you are on a very busy and tight schedule.
Have the spotter ask the individual to stand clear for reasons of safety, respond with like minded questions as to his name, contact information, authority level, get his vehicle license plate number, take pictures of him etc.

i would like to know if anyone has ever had a bad or good experience with there Rig when dealing with inquisitive people asking questions or insults being thrown at you that your drone is there to spy on them.
So i will start -

Now the majority of people who approach me have been good Natured and are quite interested in what im doing and i take time to explain what i do with my Rig, now i like to get out early mornings or late afternoon's so it cuts down on the amount of Joe Public who are around but on one particular day im taking some photo.s of a Barrage that was built in Cardiff Bay, when i noticed a gentleman heading over to me, so i quickly brought down my Rig and turned it off, when this gent approached me and starting asking questions about what i was doing, now up to this point, i was having a good chat and he was asking me where i worked and so on when this guy started coming over all paranoid, by stating whats stopping me or people like me spying on them thru there open windows and spying on children in schools or parks or even putting a bomb on one and the police should be notified of these things as he called them, he then duly notified me he was reporting me to the local authorities and took a photo with his mobile phone and then walked off to which i said goodbye.

i haven't had the the pleasure of dealing with the police yet, but know doubt it will happen oh well cant please them all.

Tuomas P.

Well, in here general public seems to be mostly interested in our car's parking! Also when we sometimes have to drive on a bicycle/ pedestrian way, we are getting bad eye. I've had to land just because someone having no authority to comment my parking has become aggressive. So welcome to Finland!
TP.

IMHO - An MR pilot should always have at least one designated spotter to keep an eye on the MR while in the air, take photos/video of the MR from the ground, make emergency calls if needed, help to pack and unpack and fend off local mean spirited bullies, e.g., the self-appointed neighborhood watch dog. These mean spirited individuals will automatically assume the roles and responsibilities of the bylaw officers, are most likely to attack those who are alone with their hands full trying to guard themselves and their equipment. Cut them off at the knees!!

Old Man

IMHO - An MR pilot should always have at least one designated spotter to keep an eye on the MR while in the air, take photos/video of the MR from the ground, make emergency calls if needed, help to pack and unpack and fend off local mean spirited bullies, e.g., the self-appointed neighborhood watch dog. These mean spirited individuals will automatically assume the roles and responsibilities of the bylaw officers, are most likely to attack those who are alone with their hands full trying to guard themselves and their equipment. Cut them off at the knees!!

Those "neighborhood watch dogs" are often the political players in the area home owners associations that go looking for violations of the association CC&R's. Plus 1 on your opinion about having an observer/helper.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Or carry a baseball bat inside of a cardboard drawing tube. People behave much differently when they realize it does not contain maps/drawings.... the power of suggestion at work!