CorrosionX on qav250 for winter/wet flying in Canada

navycut81

Hello everyone I just wanted to do a quick post on my all around love of corrosionx so far. I dunked my whole qav250, everything but the motors and the camera. My 250 is powered by a 1800 mah 90c nanotechs (dunked) controlled by dragonlink v2 the TX was also submerged in corrosionx for my fc I picked my op cc3d (only because it doesn't carry a baro on the board. DO NOT SUBMERGE A FC WITH A BAROMETER) also my 1.3 500mw tx and tmotor 12amp escs.
So now I got this mean little machine that I can slam into a snow bank clear the motors of any packed snow around the props and throw her back up into the sky.

I do however recommend you make sure the escs are clear of as much snow and water as you can just to ensure you don't have an esc cut out mid flight.
Personally it hasnt happened to me yet (5 flights so far after rough snow landings) but I have also been redunking my escs 2 separate times after those days to ensure I had a good barrier from any water.

I know ive seen this video posted in another post in this group but for anyone who hasn't seen the video yet heres a link to the flite test guys waterproofing electronics video on youtube.

TechBill

That an interesting video.

I heard some type of spray or lubricate that companies offer to treat your cellphone with so if you suppose drop it in the toilet then you can quickly rinse it off and it will still work.

Epoxy glue are not waterproof but they are water resistance. That video showing the ESC being dunked in the water and still work but I bet if he leave it in the water overnight, water is going to find it way to the ESC through the epoxy glue.

Epoxy glue will be good enough for keeping rain and snow out of it. I would not recommend dunking it in water unless you accidentally crash your MC into the water and quickly recover it which should be fine for such occurrence. I wouldn't toss my MC into the water and brag to a friend "Look MC will take off directly from underwater!"

I would suggest using disposable syringe to insert the epoxy glue instead of a wood stick for a good seal, the glue will start to harden while your filling it in and using wooden stick will create bubbles inside the glue permanently.

One last thing to remember that epoxy glue may be lightweight but the weight add up quickly if you use a lot.

Thank for sharing the video, it offer some good idea on water restisting your MC.

Bill