Considering MRF blastmail system to address FAA regulatory process but need your help

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Currently the petition has been posted on RC Groups, RC Universe, DIY Drones, Team Flying Circus, and posted in a private M/R professional group's discussion forum for review and signature. Those are the postings I'm aware of. Hopefully someone got to Flying Giants since I cannot go there....

FPVlabs and Facebook (various places) as well.

Av8Chuck

I think we need a reel. It would be great if we could edit together a short 3-5 minute reel showing inspirational AP and footage of different applications of sUAV's with a narrative explaining the benefits of commercial AP.

It would also be good to consolidate some of these clips for distribution to news organizations, we need to start at least trying to control the image and messages getting into the public discourse over drones.

If there's an agreement on this I'd be willing to edit, pay for narration and graphics etc.. if anyone is a good writer that can help that would be great.

Curious, how many signatures does it take for you guys to get serious about starting a PAC? I'm not implying the people in this discussion aren't serious but now that the Petition is online and we're getting it out there what next?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I think helping dictate the "image" of the small UAS industry is a great idea. Especially after seeing the few news clips I have already seen - good grief!).

How would we go about creating a PAC????

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I think we need a reel. It would be great if we could edit together a short 3-5 minute reel showing inspirational AP and footage of different applications of sUAV's with a narrative explaining the benefits of commercial AP.

It would also be good to consolidate some of these clips for distribution to news organizations, we need to start at least trying to control the image and messages getting into the public discourse over drones.

If there's an agreement on this I'd be willing to edit, pay for narration and graphics etc.. if anyone is a good writer that can help that would be great.

Curious, how many signatures does it take for you guys to get serious about starting a PAC? I'm not implying the people in this discussion aren't serious but now that the Petition is online and we're getting it out there what next?

Chuck,

A PAC would have been great 12 months ago when we had time to get in on the conversations regarding regulation. It's late now though and the FAA is clearly pushing to get in front of any decision that the appeals court may render in the Pirker case while also trying to cut off FPV flying.

The petition is a good first step and I hope that it will be widely circulated amongst commercial operators AND THE PEOPLE THAT HIRE THEM. The petition holds as much potential for the customers as it does the operators.

In the meantime I'm going to try to get the new website up and running as something of a depository for now. It will be at www.understandingsuas.com. I've got to set up a wordpress theme and direct the nameserver stuff to it as well as configure a few email accounts. Once done I'll begin posting to it and will post updates here.

I'd love to know if Pirker's lawyer is planning a response to the FAA's attempt to get around the court's decision. Maybe someone can email him with a copy of the petition signature request and see what kind of response they get?

Av8Chuck

Its not to late for a PAC. The need for the PAC is to defend our right in court, having one 12 months ago probably wouldn't have had much effect since there's no way to get on the rules committee anyway. The time for the PAC is when you have enough members and after the FAA has made it ruling.

Also, do we have a link for the UK rules? I got an interesting email from the California Association of Realtors and they're asking for it.

Thanks

Bartman

Its not to late for a PAC. The need for the PAC is to defend our right in court, having one 12 months ago probably wouldn't have had much effect since there's no way to get on the rules committee anyway. The time for the PAC is when you have enough members and after the FAA has made it ruling.

Also, do we have a link for the UK rules? I got an interesting email from the California Association of Realtors and they're asking for it.

Thanks

Chuck,

If you have some time and would like something to do we could really use a concise summary of the UK rules and any data that supports their successful implementation. Including enforcement mechanisms would be helpful.

What is your background?

Av8Chuck

Do you have link to what the UK rules are? I don't know what they are, sure hope we're petitioning for the right thing. JK.

People are starting to ask for the link on RCGroups as well. I think we need to link to the UK rules as well as possibly create a more concise summary. People might not trust our interpretation of the law any more than they trust the FAA's interpretation of the recent court ruling.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Do you have link to what the UK rules are? I don't know what they are, sure hope we're petitioning for the right thing. JK.

People are starting to ask for the link on RCGroups as well. I think we need to link to the UK rules as well as possibly create a more concise summary. People might not trust our interpretation of the law any more than they trust the FAA's interpretation of the recent court ruling.

Here's one person's summary, he's a member of the site so he can probably be sought out for questions/answers

http://hexcam.wordpress.com/2013/02/21/bnuc-s-and-registration-for-a-caa-permission-for-aerial-work/

THe BNUC-S standard is the UK regulatory standard for sUAS under 20kg and the candidate's guide can be found here

http://www.eurousc.com/assets/luass-011-bnuc-s-candidate-guide---september-2103---issue-3.0.pdf

Basic operational restrictions include line-of-site operations at altitudes less than 400 ft and within 400m of the operator. Equipment standards include some failsafe features and companies are required to have a variety of quality/safety controls in place as well as procedures for handling relevant emergencies.

Bart