Co-Axial naming conventions

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
I get confused with Co-Axial naming. If you have eight motors on a four boom airframe in a co-axial arrangement, i.e. four pointing up and four pointing down, is this an X4 or an X8?

You see, part of the confusion comes out of good ol' Bart referring to his favourite "XY" airframe that combines the X shaped boom layout of a traditional four-motor quad with the Y shaped boom layout of a three-motor. If the Y layout then has another three motors added with the co-axial arrangement it becomes known as a Y6. But if four motors are added in a co-axial arrangement to the quad it is known as an X4, with the 'X' denoting the "co-axial" motor placement. At least according to Droidworx it does. Their four boom eight motor Sky Jib is referred to as an X4.

Taking this naming convention, a co-axial six motor Y boom airframe should be known as a YX3. But it is not. It is referred to as a Y6. Bart's airframe would become an XYX4 !!!

So, does the 'X' refer to the shape of the booms - in the way that 'Y' does - or does it refer to a co-axial motor design?

Last question - what is the MR in the photo? I would refer to it as an X8, with 'X' referring to the shape of the airframe and 8 to the number of motors. Droidworx would call it an X4. What should it be?

079-DX8.jpg

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I've always called a quad with 2 motors per arm an x8 or xy8 if it has 120 degree arm spacing. X4 should be a quad IMHO. A hex with 12 motors wouldn't be a hex6 right? It's a hex12. Seems logical to me this way. It's droidworx' nomenclature that seems to be confusing everyone.

though I have to say I've never seen an x8 like that where there are 2 tubes per arm.

ROVguy

I agree with IrisAerial. X4 for quad, Y3 for tri. X8 for quad coax and Y6 for tri coax. Hex is a hex and I've yet to see a hex12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
quad, tri, hex, etc. is the number of arms......4, 8, 12, whatever is the number of motors...

XY is special.....4 or 8, both work great! (makes a nice cheer at sporting events)

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
er .... well done Bart. Always wondered what a 'Hex' is, even a 'Quad' for that matter! :)

The question was related purely to naming conventions for co-axial motor airframes. But I think we have settled it. Droidworx are the odd ones out for misnaming their Sky Jib X8 as an X4.