Cinestar 8 brushless conversion :)

divertom80

Hey guys, I set to making my 3 axis gimbal with old skool servo's a brushless one. So I set a couple of days aside to work in my workshop and put my 3d printer into overdrive. Anyway I bought two pancake motors that were prewound to 150 for $50 each and a Martinez board with gyro for $50. This was my outgoings for the project as I have a 3d printer and material and various bolts and nuts already. Anyway gimbalzilla is now complete aside from the 3rd axis of which for now will stay using servo control. View attachment 11640
Anyway with some PID tweaking I was amazed at the results, the movement is incredibly smooth and instant. There naturally is no noise either and it looks sweeeet. Anyway hope this all inspires you to do the same. The sad thing is my £130 upgrade makes my Radians worth nothing now :(

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368339306.350922.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368339306.350922.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 624

Bowley

That looks sweet right enough, nice alternative to the MoVI, Neat job!!
Still fine tuning my CS2X/Radian setup and thinking whats the point in servo driven gimbals now!!
Are you considering production of these as kits?

Great work, mate, have you put it in the air? What parts did you have to custom make to get it working? Looking to do the same but no 3D printer here in Dubai.

Where did you source the motors?

cheers, looking forward to seeing it in action!

divertom80

A few people have asked me about selling the kits :p and I would be happy to although dont have various designs, only for the Cinestar gimbal. Anyway before doing this mre testing and a good flight test needs to be put in place. The results on the ground are spectacular but we shall see what its like in the air. I am wanting to test the RC input next too as this is something key to my work. I am also wanting it to be used on the ground to for filming. I have to say I love what Free fly have gone and done with the MOVI but think they have shot themselves in the foot by charging 12,000. I just cant afford this kind of money so wanted to prove that I could make the same thing, and so far I am getting bloody close. I have a friend who is an Arduino Coder also and he can tweak programs for me within the board to make the Martinez do various other external things. Anyway Will post a video on here soon with results.

Also the parts aside from 3d printed bits came from www.buyitonline.com :)

Bowley

Will certainly be following your thread here Tom. wish I had the time to devote to mod'ing my gimbal myself, but with working away at sea half my time I can only rob so much time from my family. I would certainly be interested if you were going to sell kits for the CS gimbal.

Boltzman

Hi!

I am very interested in buying one. What is the maximum payload capability? What engines did you use? I want something for the blackmagic design 4k camera (1,7 kg + 0,6 kg lens).

jrlederer

Very interesting, indeed. I, too, am wondering which parts were necessary to custom-fabricate as I, too, have a CS3X Gimbal and a set of Radians that I'd love to retire in place of something much better, if that exists and is doable.

Thanks, and great job here!

update:

Just looked at the photo up closer and see the custom mounting that is holding he moors to the gimbal, and think that's what you made...is that correct? Great job, once again. Wanna share the stl files for the printing? I'd be happy to pay you, if that's what you wanted.

Last edited by a moderator:

divertom80

Ok so the website I got wrong its www.funtobuyonline.com the motors are the only pancake 150 turn motors in the gimbal category. :) as for the stl files I would be happy to forward you them for a small fee :) got to make some money some how. Although I do warn that some of the holes needed to be drilled slightly large to hold the M3 bolts. As for a price £20 through paypal :) pm me and I could send it in a day or two as I am on a trip for work right now. Anyway anyone who wants either the stl files or to buy the 3d printed parts (rough printed but works :) pm me.

PaNt

Ok so the website I got wrong its www.funtobuyonline.com the motors are the only pancake 150 turn motors in the gimbal category. :) as for the stl files I would be happy to forward you them for a small fee :) got to make some money some how. Although I do warn that some of the holes needed to be drilled slightly large to hold the M3 bolts. As for a price £20 through paypal :) pm me and I could send it in a day or two as I am on a trip for work right now. Anyway anyone who wants either the stl files or to buy the 3d printed parts (rough printed but works :) pm me.

can you show us the parts?? what parts we pay for?? it isnt so easy to check them..

Thank you

divertom80

Ok sorry guys changed my mind and being a pain in the arse :p but what I am going to do is not give away the stl file and instead sell the product through shapeways so you can buy the product on there and it will come to you in high resolution :) and not crap like what my 3d printer does. Anyway to get to this stage I need to recheck all my hole sizes etc and make sure all is good :) I am away till tuesday from home so cant do this until weds but will post link to shapeways link for you to buy the parts needed :) remember this will only fit the 2axis or 3 axis cinestar gimbal.

divertom80

As for parts I need to reconfirm the exact motor when I get back as I notice the website has bought out a few and when I bought it there was only 1 pancake motor :p

divertom80

Is it a bird, is it a plane, is it a MoVi? nope its my converted gimbal. Ok so more ground tests in my "MoVi" frame. Its going well and I am now thinking of converting the third axis to brushless too. Anyway as you can see for the money to convert this from servo ($180) I am one happy bunny!

http://youtu.be/liEYOFxcHik

divertom80

Ok This is a Communal Note. I have just started on the third axis as being brushless and been doing some tests and I will say this, don't throw your radians just yet as its looking like I use the Yaw Radian as a Gyro input for the Martinez board. My Yaw will hopefully be brushless also as I want a MoVi at a 1/10th the cost. The Pitch and Roll Is a beauty with RC controls also. I have to have 2 Martinez boards to pull all this off and maybe a third but will let you know as I want the best results. My deadline to get all this done and put up on Shapeways as a kit is 2 weeks as I leave to go away for 1 month in Italy. I will keep you all posted :D

Brombo

Just a point of view
Ok This is a Communal Note. I have just started on the third axis as being brushless and been doing some tests and I will say this, don't throw your radians just yet as its looking like I use the Yaw Radian as a Gyro input for the Martinez board. My Yaw will hopefully be brushless also as I want a MoVi at a 1/10th the cost. The Pitch and Roll Is a beauty with RC controls also. I have to have 2 Martinez boards to pull all this off and maybe a third but will let you know as I want the best results. My deadline to get all this done and put up on Shapeways as a kit is 2 weeks as I leave to go away for 1 month in Italy. I will keep you all posted :D

Nice work..
Where do you have to go in Italy? I'm from Sardinia B)

divertom80

I am going to work on the Costa concordia on isola del giglio. Anyway Ok so I tried to convert the 3rd axis but alas not easily done. Anyway here are some ground tests and flight tests. Few tweaks and the day I flew was very windy and my graupners are causing vibrations. Anyway kit will hopefully be available end of this week :)
http://youtu.be/lru8mkSInVg