CCW Motors getting hot

Aviator

I think I remembeer reading something about this before? but didn`t pay attention as I didn`t have this problem until now...
After flying my CCW motors are fairly hot whilst the CW motors are cool, any ideas?

jes1111

Logically, it is indicating that they are doing more work. If it's all the CCW motors, then maybe they are working hard to resist a constant CW yaw produced by...?... misaligned CW motor(s), misaligned arms, off-centre CoG?

snurre

Hi aviator.
One would suspect a misaligned arm/ motor mount. I suspect my octa suffers from same problem. I think this is something we should bring to the attention of the designer :cool:
Considering we use the similar frame...

Aviator

Hi aviator.
One would suspect a misaligned arm/ motor mount. I suspect my octa suffers from same problem. I think this is something we should bring to the attention of the designer :cool:
Considering we use the similar frame...
Who knows what the problem is? I have a load of money in the air that doesn`t do what I expect it to do? what with the frame, mount and skyline rsgs, and another prop went on me today.. this time it snapped as I throttled up! could have taken someones eye out! luckily the WKM handled it well yet again.. How is your Octa treating you T?

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
This could be a caused by directional vanes in the motor. Some motors have directional vanes for pumping air through them. The directional vanes work much better in one direction than the reverse. Some motors you can flip the vane section over so that it works properly in the direction you are using it in.

Which motors are you using?

snurre

I sense some frustration here :banghead:
Understandable!
Frankly, my octa has been on ground since the 5.12 release, but mostly due to lack of time. Though very soon I will put more traction into the project.
Exactly what type of prop are you using now? Measured the rpm?
Tip- check each motor mount/ prop disc from the side and check level with hub plane. Likely you might find the reason for unsymmetric power distibution there. One mount off level by one degree would be enough to bring unsymmetry. I'd say the screw hole drilling process in motor arms is critical when motor mounts are not adjustable.
Again, imho a design flaw in a frame that else is manufactured with high finish.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Hmmm... I don't really see much in the way of vanes at all? I see the "spokes", and they appear to be machined in a directional pattern, but they don't really look like vanes. More like just spokes on an alloy wheel. I'm not sure they have much effect on cooling. That being said, if there are *no* vanes in the motor, well that's not so cool.