CBC - The Rise of Drones

The news item appeared tonight on Canada's CBC National News.....
some positive but too much negative, thanks, in part, to our infamous "stultus or Homo incurvatus in se!" from Vancouver BC.
Unfortunately the Aviation lawyer - Lee Mauro makes mention of a imaginary 75 pound carbon fiber drone to drum up the fear level which is in effect..... "misleading information or info not related to the CBC presentation specific to the Multirotors. Too bad lawyers don't take technical awareness courses.

http://www.cbc.ca/thenational/watch/

222GR

It could be my recent GPS failure influencing my disdain but to see that guy at 10:20 talking about licensing and, hovering in GPS Mode 5 feet away from themselves and a cameraman, chatting with the interviewer, focus diverted, Hands off the sticks!!! really leaves me with a nasty feeling.
Yes it can be done but that doesn't make it a good idea.
Not that a modified 550 is going to do any real damage to anybody but that's not the point. Would have changed the whole course of the story in an instant.
"It's not a toy" Mr Reuben, you are correct, however I feel your actions contradict your words in that video.
You're right Scott, too much negative.

haha49

It could be my recent GPS failure influencing my disdain but to see that guy at 10:20 talking about licensing and, hovering in GPS Mode 5 feet away from themselves and a cameraman, chatting with the interviewer, focus diverted, Hands off the sticks!!! really leaves me with a nasty feeling.
Yes it can be done but that doesn't make it a good idea.
Not that a modified 550 is going to do any real damage to anybody but that's not the point. Would have changed the whole course of the story in an instant.
"It's not a toy" Mr Reuben, you are correct, however I feel your actions contradict your words in that video.
You're right Scott, too much negative.

Try flying with trees and rock with 12 ft of flying space in high wind to film someone climbing the rocks. Now that was hard to keep it in the right spot with the wind blowing it away from the climbers (I flew so the wind would push me away from them) Now that was hard and way more risky. I had no gps lock and the wind was around 16-20km/h It would blow really hard in that spot but it's doable... All alitude mode no gps lock.

The climbers knew the risk but wanted to do it anyways so I said ok then lets do it. Allot of crash come down to low power and not knowing how much flight time you actually have if you know you get 10 minutes of flight and limit your self to 9 or 8 of flying time your not going to have any problems.

Last edited by a moderator:

222GR

At least you planned your shot and used the wind to your safety advantage haha49. Sounds good.
I don't want to bash the pilot in the interview - It's easy to trust GPS until you get burned by it.
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that the news crew simply wanted a cool story and he naively went into it with a "look what this can do attitude.
It's easy to get caught up in the "cool"

haha49

At least you planned your shot and used the wind to your safety advantage haha49. Sounds good.
I don't want to bash the pilot in the interview - It's easy to trust GPS until you get burned by it.
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that the news crew simply wanted a cool story and he naively went into it with a "look what this can do attitude.
It's easy to get caught up in the "cool"

3 bad motors and mine flew into the sea it was part of learning about it. Now I know how to flip the switch and recover it out of the fail safe ect so as long as you don't panic your fine. I did crash 1 time on purpose I went well I'm going down might as well pick were I crash I was testing the motors because I didn't know they were bad. So 5 low height crashs 2 run aways filming the motors found out it was them. It's part of testing always test your gear and do basic checks before a risky flight. So far 90 flights 0 crashs. It all comes down to common sense.

This type of flying isn't for beginers and has to be done with you watching fpv just to line the shot up as if you don't fly that way you will hit something because fpv isn't good enough to see what's around you.