Can someone explain what these 2 boards do?

Kilby

Probably the better question would be what doesn't it do.

I know that board was very recently updated and you can now buy a RTF version for $299. It handles stabilization, gps mapping (way points), return to home functionality and can also share some GPS data with some of the OSD cards out there. It's used on tricopters, quads, hexa & oktocopters. If i'm not mistaken, it can also be used in some fixed wing configurations as well.

I'm keeping an eye on it and think I might try to add one to my set up towards the end of summer, if all looks well from the early adopters.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Ross,
Multi-rotor helicopters don't have natural flying tendencies like an airplane or (to a much lesser extent) a helicopter. They get flight stability and control from a circuit board with a computer chip and software that can interpret your flight commands and give motor control outputs so the whole thing has flight behavior that you can understand and control.
In the kit you referenced, the red board is the controller with the brain and the blue board is the navigation (GPS) and stability module. Some FLight controls will have the stability built in but in this case it looks like the stability stuff (gyro's and accelerometers) resides with the navigation stuff.
There's some assembly required which is mostly tedious soldering of plugs and stuff to the boards but it's an easy skill to learn and there are loads and loads of videos on the internet about how to solder. We can dig some up for you if you don't find any good ones.
Is it starting to make sense at all?
Bart

Bartman

Kilby posted while I was typing (doh!). He's right about what it does and doesn't do. If it's any good at what it does then it'll be a huge competitor for Mikrokopter to deal with who charge $460 just for the flight control board that requires other modules/accessories to get it's full capabilities.
Bart

Macsgrafs

Thanks Kilby & Bart. So the board is the fly by wire board, the interface between the receiver & the ESC's, that's if I have that part right of course ;)
What I really need is a block diagram something like this:-

RECEIVER - ESC - MOTOR well thats the most basic form, but with what boards are needed for a octocoper set up. The hoverfly board has it all, you just connect the ESC's then the motors...just 3 parts in the chain as such, but when I see so many add on's Im completely lost to be honest. Im fine with soldiering, I was a radio tech in the british army many years ago & then went to work in a factory soldering coils & components for the aero industry.
It's like your tagline Bart...I'm sure its funny but what the hell is a PID :)

Thanks again guys
Ross

Attachments

• OCTO-BLOCK.jpg
    OCTO-BLOCK.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 277
Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Ross,
If you've determined you want to go the Oktokoper route then it is necessary to find a board that supports that. Some do and some don't although maybe they all do but I don't know as much as some others about the different boards that are available.
What you said is basically right though, RECEIVER-FC-ESC'S-MOTORS. They all vary slightly in how they accomplish the flow but it's basically the same throughout. With the kit you referenced you would need to buy the individual ESC's and there would be a little research involved to make sure you get what is appropriate for the motors/weights/controller that you end up with.
It helps early on if you can determine just how big the camera might be that you'd like to carry and what mount will accommodate it since the mounts alone can weigh a pound. When you have an accurate guess as to what weight you need to carry, it helps in the selection of motors and ESC's.
Being able to solder removes a major hurdle for a lot of people when they're selecting their gear.
Moving right along :)
Bart

Macsgrafs

Sorry Bart, I was editing my previous posting with a bloc diagram, please take a look as I'm not sure what "?" is meant to be!!!
I want to use this motor:- http://robotbirds.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=56_272_420&products_id=5453 its 140g in weight & has 2.3kg of thrust on a 12" prop.
I need to be able to carry between 1kg & 1.5kg in gear which includes camera gimbal & retractable landing gear, check out my trex 600e photo (MG-9394) which shows you what I will be using. I do hope I havent confused you all any further :)

Ross

Macsgrafs

The Full ArduPilot Mega kit does NOT support octos, only hex's...thats straight from Cindy ay DIYdrones...now I'm gutted. But I have heard from Rob at Droidworx & I've put my name down for a CS8 with retractable gear....just waiting to hear back again on motors & esc's for this new camera octocopter...which will be $1950 (Aus).

Ross

matwelli

the APM standard dosent support octo, there are two outputs on the board that need to be soldered, and changes to the code, the ardupirate guys have cracked it.

Problem now is the new version of code has been released (ACM 2 - check out my news blog http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?356-ACMV2-Released-!-(Almost) ) and the octo configuration will need to be re-coded, wouldnt take much, i have worked out how to do a H8 setup for two guys over here in NZ (I have 4 Ardupilot builds in progress)

the $299 option from www.jdrones.com is an option, pre soldered and tested, add $54 for a magnetometer (compas) which is required for proper position and heading hold.

Openpilot looks promising www.openpilot.org , they have octo and H8 setups already done, just waiting for the release date :)

Bartman

Openpilot looks promising www.openpilot.org , they have octo and H8 setups already done, just waiting for the release date :)

waiting for a release date, me too. i'm on the cusp of buying another MK board set but the openpilot program sounds so promising it's hard not to want to wait for it. on the other hand, many of the long awaited product releases have been disappointing so MK again becomes the old-reliable of FC's.
hmm, what to do

matwelli

i am in the same boat, sold 3 Ardupilots so far, while waiting for openpilot (my prefered option) - the new V2 ACM code looks very promising !

Macsgrafs

All I want is a basic setup at this moment in time to be honest & the new CS8 is our chosen octo. I still cant find a FC board other than hoverfly pro :(
Some great input from you kind gents & some new websites that I hadnt found, thanks guys...that will keep me reading for the rest of the day.
Considering I was going to stick the heli route & go for a maxi joker 3, now look how you've all corrupted poor little me :)

Ross

CopterCam

All I want is a basic setup at this moment in time to be honest & the new CS8 is our chosen octo. I still cant find a FC board other than hoverfly pro :(
Some great input from you kind gents & some new websites that I hadnt found, thanks guys...that will keep me reading for the rest of the day.
Considering I was going to stick the heli route & go for a maxi joker 3, now look how you've all corrupted poor little me :)

Ross

While Multicopters are free of the mechanical complexities of the Heli's swashplate, they have their own challenges. The FCB has to be tuned to the individual platform to deliver the optimum flight performance. Then there is the matter of the board stabilizing the camera mount. Undoubtedly, they are a superb platform for most Aerial applications but they require an equal care and attention to the flight performance characteristics............ hence the land of PID's

The Hoverfly board are claiming a plug 'n fly........... but it still requires some tuning ? You state that you only need something basic, but believe me, the world of Multicopters and their FCB's, not to mention their motors and props on different frame configurations is highly addictive and your choice of board might need to be able to accomodate the alluring extra features presently available and those in Beta form ?

Sid

matwelli

That CS8 sure looks like a nice frame , i dont understand the retractable landing gear however - as in whats the point ?

Ross

I'm glad you said that about the retracts Mat, maybe its to get any legs out of the shot. I did'nt understand the requirement either.

Macsgrafs

Some valid points Sid, will take that on board. The retracts allow you to have a 360 degree cam mount & swing it without the gear getting in the shot. My original trex 600 had an underslung mount, but every time my mrs moved the cam I became disorientated? I really dont want to shove £3000 in the deck, so retracts it has to be....& they look more cool ;)

Ross

But why don't you yaw the platform rather? Plug and play boards are at least two main chips away. By 2013 I reckon things will be easy ;-)