Camera Advice

What is the best value for an AP/AV Camera?

• Sony A6000/Sigma 19mm

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Panasonic GH4/Rokinon 12mm

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

crayfellow

Hi all, I've been a photographer for many years and DSLR's since the first-gen 6.3MP Canons.

Flying one, on the other hand, is completely new to me. Here are requirements:
* Remote shutter (IR? please advise)
* Remote start/stop recording (is this possible?)
* Remote monitoring (HDMI out to FPV transmitter? please advise)

I have narrowed it down to the Sony A6000 and the apparently very popular GH4. I use a Canon 5D mark II so I appreciate the 'filmic' quality. Which of these would be the most suitable for excellent quality aerial video (and stills)? I realize of course the price is vastly different, but these are the choices I have narrowed to (as opposed to something ike FZ1000 which appears to have great video, but a fixed lens).

I do own Canon L lenses so I am also interested in thoughts on the Metabones Speed Booster.

Thank you!

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
Gh4 is fairly popular for cinematography at the moment, it's what we primarily use. I'm not the camera guy in our company though.

I just received a few parts for our setup to simplify it a bit. I haven't tested them, but it's off the shelf stuff that should convert HDMI to a regular AV output (for use with FPV transmitters), and we also have an Amimon Connex and Teradek Bolt 2000 for HD. Also have an off the shelf shutter cable for the GH4 that supposedly allows for both stills and remote starting/stopping of recording.

I know nothing about the Sony, sorry.

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
I fiddled with my cable today and it works great. On my JR, a positive input starts recording video and a negative input takes a still photo. Should be easy to program a quick mix to switch between modes and use a spring switch for the shutter.

crayfellow

I fiddled with my cable today and it works great. On my JR, a positive input starts recording video and a negative input takes a still photo. Should be easy to program a quick mix to switch between modes and use a spring switch for the shutter.
nice! simpler than IR, that's for sure. what do you use for Vtx?

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
nice! simpler than IR, that's for sure. what do you use for Vtx?
Different options depending on the camera and situation. My camera guy really likes our Teradek Bolt 2000, but it's heavy, and requires an HDMI to SDI converter which adds even more weight. We just got in an Amimon Connex for a lighter weight solution (and at a much cheaper price). I also have a Kopterworx HDMI to AV converter to use with a simple ImmersionRC 5.8ghz transmitter for when standard definition is acceptable... it's even lighter than the Connex.

The Teradek is the only one we've used operationally so far, I'm in the process of building the other options into "quick change" setups so they'll be easy to swap as circumstances dictate.

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
I intend to go for the A6000 or the older NEX-5 with Sonys 16 mm f/2.8 pancake lens.

From the start I planned on using my trusty old Nikon J3, but it does not have any IR-trigger port.

crayfellow

I intend to go for the A6000 or the older NEX-5 with Sonys 16 mm f/2.8 pancake lens.

From the start I planned on using my trusty old Nikon J3, but it does not have any IR-trigger port.
It will be fun to see how you get on. Are you doing stills, video, or both?

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
It will be fun to see how you get on. Are you doing stills, video, or both?
Mostly stills.
My gimbal is still broken though. I'm waiting for a new controller from HobbyKing. Just for fun, I did a test flight today with the J3 zip-tied to the frame. The video was quite wobbly, but it would probably be fine for stills.