Camera #8 Panasonic GH2

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
I am well into my camera comparison ordeal and have currently reached camera number eight, the Panasonic GH2.

The first thing is, WOW! Talk about sharp video images. Litterally everything else I have tried pales in comparison.

But ... there is always a BUT.

It has two video outputs (WOW again !!!), composite (or AV) and HDMI but for the life of me I cannt work out how to get live video preview out of it for monitoring. The manual explains that the AV out only works for playback of recorded images - OK ... stupid, but OK - and then it says that the HDMI output, which is for viewing recorded images on your HDMI equipped TV, also outputs video when recording.

Well I really would like to know how, precisely?

With the HDMI convereter set up and the downlink monitor on etc. plugging the mini-HDMI cable into the Sony NEX produces an image. Take out the cable and plug into the GH2 and ... nothing.

Without live preview, all the image sharpness in the world is rendered useless if you can't frame accurately. Yes, yes I know, use a separate FPV camera. No I won't. I don't like it. I want the camera's live output so that I can really see the framing and also know when it has turned itself off or is doing something weird. I thought that Sony were taking liberties when I discovered it only has an HDMI output and no AV out. That was overcome with the awkward HDMI converter. But not having ANY live video out at all is plain bloody ridiculous.

Surely it must have. Can one of you GH2 afficianados please shed some light?

UPDATE:

The next logical step was to connect the GH2 to a pukka HDMI equipped TV/monitor. If ... IF ... you connect and switch on in a very precise order the live video comes up on the HDMI equipped TV or monitor.

Mind you, if you connect the Canon 5D or the Sony NEX to those same TV and monitor the picture comes up regardless of what is switched on or connected first.

So it seems the HDMI converter and the GH2 are somehow incompatible. GREAT! God. Why do these companies do this sort of thing? They produce such great kit and shove it all in the toilet for a small pissy reason.

EDIT #2:

No, it is the GH2 because I had forgotten that playback video is output from both HDMI and AV outs. Feed the playback via HDMI through our clumsy old HDMI converter boards and it pops up without a problem.

Does anyone know if this issue is addressed in any of these famous 'GH2 hacks'?

Last edited by a moderator:

yeehaanow

Yes, the GH2 is awesome for A/V, except the rolling shutter is quite sensitive at 1080p, but at 720 60p it's much much less. If you haven't hacked it yet... it's a must IMO. The detail is incredible, but due to the nature of aerial high-detail everything-in-focus shots, it's very demanding on the memory card. Grab the Sandisk 64gb 95mb/s card and don't look back. It's the only one that will span on a high Q hack. And you will need spanning.

In regards to your HDMI- No hack will output the A/V while recording. I think they said it wasn't possible, or they're not working on it. Check personal-view.com for the latest there. ALSO- if you want to record at 60p you cannot use the HDMI out. It will revert to 60i 1080! And with no warning, as it will still say 720 60p. So you will most likely need an fpv cam for 60p shots. I tried one through the viewfinder but my camera op hated it. I will go external and match the field of view with the right lens and some marks on the monitor.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
$hit!

For all the grumbles I have had with the NEX-5n at least it is operationally very friendly. After getting to know the menu system and sorting out user-shortcuts it is now very quick to work with and a photo job yesterday produced extremely adequate results. Rather surprisingly.

051.Radisson-Peugeot-2.jpg

However, I have serious misgivings about its raw video capabilities so I embarked on a dangerous buy, test and return mission.

First I bought a Panasonic X800 camcorder. Markedly better video resolution than the NEX and with a very filmic feel to the colours but operationally a bit 'challenged' because of the silly Touch Screen and the video outs which are all behind the screen - although with some judicious scalpel work on the plastic of the connector, the AV output would probably just be accessible. A nice touch is the 1080p50 instant button and the hybrid OIS is good but I didn't like the omission of an IR remote port to remotely activate Record, PhotoShot and Zoom so it went back in favour of an X900.

The X900 went back this morning. A dedicated Camera Functions button brings up all the required manual settings and the lens ring makes for quick and intuitive focus/iris adjustments. But the huge screen completely covers the connector bay requiring it to be open where there is insufficient space on the MR camera mounts. And the video did not appear as crisp as the X800 for some reason. Both the X800 and X900 do not have a separate battery charger. They both have a charge socket on the camera requiring the battery to be in the camera and thereby removing the camera from use. TOTALLY IDIOTIC.

The GH2 arrived yesterday. Separate charger - good, dedicated buttons for menu navigation is certainly quicker and more precise than idiot Touch Screens and of course the fantastic video clarity - even without hacking - is really appealing but the lack of built-in live preview out is a huge failing - in my book. I absolutely detest workarounds, which is what a second separate camera is, and I am just so surprised to even have to consider it. Especially from Panasonic who have always been the more serious user's choice. All of their pro cameras still feature a composite out, along with HDMI and/or Component and/or SDI. But pro cameras are too big and heavy for daily use with MR's.

This is now going to be a tricky decision with the GH2. I do not like 'operationally challenged' gear. With all the other stuff going on the f**kabout aspect is just not needed when you are working.