Calculating total Flight time.

SSR

I have some problem calculating my total flight time(Quadcopter). The formula i have read is

T(min)=Battery power(AH)*60/Total current drawn by motors.

1 motor=13.5A
4 motors=54A

Battery=4.4AH

Then T=4.89

I want to ask that the formula i am using is right and what is this 4.89. Either 4 min 89 sec or 4 hr 89min?

jes1111

Things about this calculation:

1) you need to allow for some efficiencies losses in the system - so your formula should really be Time(minutes) = BattPower(Ah) * 60 * 0.9 / TotalAmps(A) to factor in 10% losses.
2) you need to land well before the battery gives up!
3) make sure you're using the "hover" current, not the maximum current that the motor will take - i.e. if your motor pulls 13.5A maximum, then you'd have 4.89 minutes flight time at maximum throttle. But if it only pulled, say, 4A at hover, you'd get approximately 18 minutes of hover flight.

See: http://www.mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/MK3538#Thrust_over_current - this shows thrust and current for the MK3538 motor with various props. Divide the total flying weight of your craft by the number of engines to get the thrust you need (from each engine) to hover. Find that figure along the thrust scale on the graph, read off the current (for your chosen propeller). Then you can do the flight time calculation.

matwelli

@SSR - its easy to change the figure in the spread sheet

real world experiance, i have measured one of my quads, running 10 by 3.8 apc props and it took 167 watts per 1kg to hover, i have tested the Lotus RC T580, and seen a number closer to 120 watts

Big, large slow moving props are more efficient, the faster you move the prop and the smaller it is, the lesser the efficiency (more watts) on the flip side smaller props moving faster seem to be less affected by wind

SSR

SO 167/4=42

Therefore each motor should be able to provide approx 42 watts.

Thanks for your help....:D