CAA Qualifications (UK)

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
OK, and they will accredit a BNUC to an RPQ on the ground side of things as well I gather, so for my next flight tests maybe I should go to resourceUAS. Thanks for the info Ben.

I am getting more and more hcked off with EuroUSE as its all smoke and mirrors. It used to be you could fly two systems at time of your test now its only one. If you want to do another its another fee.

My big question is once you have qualified and have your flight opps in place and have your currency why do you need to go back to eithere for reapplication for permissions?

I am in discussions with RUAS as there requirements seem more reasonable. I have ten certified craft so have to way up the costs both ways. I also have another pilot ready for testing but either way I go it seems so much faff.

I was one of the early candidates that qualified but it was a real pain getting the OM signed off. The only thing I was given to look at was one for a Cessna! I am coming up to re applying for my third year of permissions and there was a comment I would have to re-write my OM using the template.. Not happy. Off to the Urban and congested area workshop next week so hope to get some answers then.

If you do go with EuroUSE what ever you do dont loose your hand book, they want 275 quid for a replacement!

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

Bowley

I am getting more and more hcked off with EuroUSE as its all smoke and mirrors. It used to be you could fly two systems at time of your test now its only one. If you want to do another its another fee.

My big question is once you have qualified and have your flight opps in place and have your currency why do you need to go back to eithere for reapplication for permissions?

I am in discussions with RUAS as there requirements seem more reasonable. I have ten certified craft so have to way up the costs both ways. I also have another pilot ready for testing but either way I go it seems so much faff.

I was one of the early candidates that qualified but it was a real pain getting the OM signed off. The only thing I was given to look at was one for a Cessna! I am coming up to re applying for my third year of permissions and there was a comment I would have to re-write my OM using the template.. Not happy. Off to the Urban and congested area workshop next week so hope to get some answers then.

If you do go with EuroUSE what ever you do dont loose your hand book, they want 275 quid for a replacement!

Dave

Renewal pending....I'm saying nought ;)

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Come over to ResourceUAS Dave, you won't regret it! Just give Craig Lippett a call, I'm sure he'll do you a good deal on 10 aircraft :nevreness:.

And yes, if you're BNUC-S certified you'll just do the flight test. I've heard a few people who have only done the EuroUSC ground school have transferred over for just the flight test also.

Quinton

Off to the Urban and congested area workshop next week so hope to get some answers then.

Dave
Ahh I may actually get to meet you there then as I am supposed to be going too, I am just a bit worried about flight times, as its cutting it fine, so may need to stay over in London for the night.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Ahh I may actually get to meet you there then as I am supposed to be going too, I am just a bit worried about flight times, as its cutting it fine, so may need to stay over in London for the night.

Cant believe location and timing. Its cost a bloody fortune so I really hope there is some useful information and not just more excuses for more fee's

Dave

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Time to get ALL QE's (Qualified Entities) singing from the same song-sheet with one standard applied across the board. I thought RPAS were supposed to have 'manned equivalence' so where our our PPL CPL equivalents etc etc? With that the QE's would have no alternative but to stick to the same thing and with more QE's coming on line soon, unless something is done the waters are going to get very muddy indeed.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
+100 on that.. you got to get your head round what I need to do to get all 10 machines transferred and new pilots included in the OM.. its a total mess. One standard across the board.

Dave

Bowley

+100 on that.. you got to get your head round what I need to do to get all 10 machines transferred and new pilots included in the OM.. its a total mess. One standard across the board.

Dave

I've always said it and still maintain that there should be weight and class ratings, and if the CAA had not effectively offloaded regulation to the private sector then I'm sure it would be. This specific system policy is crippling and a considerable cost on to any build needed.

Jumpy07

I heard there were some changes on the way from CAA

Pilot approval for class of RPAS.. ie: you can fly any frame in the class you are tested on as long as it has an approval / build certificate.
Test/build/approval certificate for all frames no matter weight.
Prop protectors

Dave latest opps manual template V1.4 is a lot more detailed than early operations manual.... most are around 65 pages now.

I agree there needs to be more consistency around the process.... goal posts seem to be getting moved a lot at the moment.. and from what I see this is being done to drive revenue and profit... not improve safety etc

Eurousc like to move the goal posts a lot. Maybe the CAA should look into there training standards and see if there up to the CAA requirement.
Do eurousc have any pilots within the company ? do they operate UAVs ?
or do they just book 20+ student on each course cha ching £££
They can't check your manual because they are to busy booking more student on the next ground school, oh and if you want them to look at your ops manual to see if your on the right track it will cost you the flight test £350…….yeah thanks a lot nice customer service.

Bowley

Probably the proper evolution Jumpy, I guess this is how it should be, ie BNUC rating being a pilot certification to fly any approved system within your class rating.

At the moment its like holding a driving licence to drive a particular type ford focus 1.6TDCI and nothing else, not even another ford focus 1.6TDCI.

As it stands the way I see the BNUC is that it is really an system certification rather than a crew qualification in essence. I guess this is due to lack of any actual system certification It is in fact just a demonstration of the system operating and a working failsafe. much like getting a driving licence to drive one particular car after you had a driving test and proved the brakes work. but you cant drive any other car until you have another driving test to prove that its brakes also work....Oh and if you do any modifications to the car you might have to sit your test again to make sure your brakes still work.

I suppose it could seen as 6 and half dozen whether we get our system certified by design and construction or by BNUC as a D&C cert will probably involve a demonstration flight anyway. The benefit with D&C will be to manufacturers and vendors selling and end users buying approved RTF systems that they dont have to get 'BNUC'd on if it falls withing there type rating. I know of a few manufacturer/Vendors speaking to EuroUSC at present so they can sell D&C certified systems.
I dont think it will make much difference to the custom self builder though, which is most of us.

+1 on that mate

Probably the proper evolution Jumpy, I guess this is how it should be, ie BNUC rating being a pilot certification to fly any approved system within your class rating.

At the moment its like holding a driving licence to drive a particular type ford focus 1.6TDCI and nothing else, not even another ford focus 1.6TDCI.

As it stands the way I see the BNUC is that it is really an system certification rather than a crew qualification in essence. I guess this is due to lack of any actual system certification It is in fact just a demonstration of the system operating and a working failsafe. much like getting a driving licence to drive one particular car after you had a driving test and proved the brakes work. but you cant drive any other car until you have another driving test to prove that its brakes also work....Oh and if you do any modifications to the car you might have to sit your test again to make sure your brakes still work.

I suppose it could seen as 6 and half dozen whether we get our system certified by design and construction or by BNUC as a D&C cert will probably involve a demonstration flight anyway. The benefit with D&C will be to manufacturers and vendors selling and end users buying approved RTF systems that they dont have to get 'BNUC'd on if it falls withing there type rating. I know of a few manufacturer/Vendors speaking to EuroUSC at present so they can sell D&C certified systems.
I dont think it will make much difference to the custom self builder though, which is most of us.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Last discussions with CAA they have NO intention of enforcing craft certification or airframe testing. If you wanted it tested it would cost a bloody fortune and no one would do it so then there are no candidates so no EuroUSE or anyone else.

I definitely agree on category testing not individual configs.. what difference is there in any WKM machine part from the number of motors..

Dave

As Ben has already mentioned with resource you can fly any aircraft that you have been tested on i done mine with a Vulcan 900 WKM so i can fly any Vulcan 900 WKM even if i don't own it, with Eurousc i would not have that option and would now be adapting my manual and a cost of £350 to fly that same aircraft as i have already been tested on and passed its just a money making system as if they are not making enough money on ground school days.
I was going to do my test with 3 aircrafts until they gave me a bill for £850 after i quizzed them they have now change the rules again now you can only test 1 aircraft per test so you have to pay for 2nd and 3rd aircraft, I was working on my manual for months to find out i now have to change it to 1 aircraft or pay double or treble the price for a test that take 10mins…. jokers.
If you have done 1 flight test why do you need another i understand they need to check you are safe and the aircraft fly's safely but this is our money in the air would we be stupid enough not to check the aircraft over and plug it into the assistant software provided before flight.
We should have a test on flight systems Wookong M, Naza, and any other flight system that are on the market with a good background of safety standards.
Ive mainly flown hex copter and they all fly the same to me, I have been told quad and Y systems fly the same ?
Droider Dave should be able to tell me the answer to that question the man with 10 aircraft ?

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Droider Dave should be able to tell me the answer to that question the man with 10 aircraft ?

The only difference is the weight and orientation.. I fly anything from a phantom to Skyjib hauling 15kg.

Interestingly another operator wanted to add me to their OM but was told by EUSE that The new operator would have to be tested on all their machines.. when the operator told them who they wanted to put on their OM they side 'oh' that will be fine then!

I need to talk to Resource again I think.

Dave

Bowley

Last discussions with CAA they have NO intention of enforcing craft certification or airframe testing. If you wanted it tested it would cost a bloody fortune and no one would do it so then there are no candidates so no EuroUSE or anyone else.

I definitely agree on category testing not individual configs.. what difference is there in any WKM machine part from the number of motors..

Dave

Well after having looking at the cost for 'Assurance of Airworthiness – Individual Design & Construction Assessment (IDCA)' for a self build or ARTF, lets hope this remains the case.

Last edited by a moderator: