Bmore Curious

Dallas

Boomer Sooner
Hey guys,

My name is Dallas and I live in Baltimore on a boat. That being said, I hope to learn that you can make a quad copter waterproof- or I AM SCREWED! I work with video cameras a lot and wanted to take the next logical step- fly one remotely of course. So, I really want to educate myself on what the best setup for a COMPLETE newbie would be when it comes to flying a gopro or dslr around on a quad- I assume maybe learning to fly one w/out a camera aboard first?! This forum sounds like a great place for me to start my education. Thank you in advance for your patience and generosity with information. Off to old posts!

Crash

Defies Psychics
Hey guys,

My name is Dallas and I live in Baltimore on a boat. That being said, I hope to learn that you can make a quad copter waterproof- or I AM SCREWED! I work with video cameras a lot and wanted to take the next logical step- fly one remotely of course. So, I really want to educate myself on what the best setup for a COMPLETE newbie would be when it comes to flying a gopro or dslr around on a quad- I assume maybe learning to fly one w/out a camera aboard first?! This forum sounds like a great place for me to start my education. Thank you in advance for your patience and generosity with information. Off to old posts!

Funny you mention waterproof. I'm mocking up something right now. I's basically an upside down quad. The electronics are going in the tub on the bottom and the battery will sit on top.

Here's a video for you:
[video]http://vimeo.com/groups/Mikrokopter/videos/10051940[/video]

Attachments

• 5-01-11_ 008.jpg
    5-01-11_ 008.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 219

Dallas

Boomer Sooner
Crash, THAT'S AMAZING! Great skills with the quad and with the fabrication...can't leave out the perfect call on the soundtrack! PLEASE, keep me and everyone else updated on your adventures, really looking forward to it.
Thanks again,
Dallas

Crash

Defies Psychics
That's not me. There are photos of Simon's quad on RCG. One is below.

BTW, Welcome to the site.

Attachments

• simon waterquad.jpg
    simon waterquad.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 350
Last edited by a moderator:

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Ah, what you want then is a Dex quad, completely waterproof electronics enclosure and it floats nicely, in one of the demo videos he lands it on a pond and then takes off again, let me see if I can dig up the link(s)...

This isn't the one I was thinking of, but it will do... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjJv16HX0EU A GoPro is waterproof in it's case so you can hang one underneath the Dex and then take off and land on water. You can get purchase info here... http://www.kkmulticopter.com/index.php?option=com_annonces&view=annonce&id=88&Itemid=61

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

Buzzed

Pretty interesting stuff. I see a market for the guys over at Pro Bass. With one of these you could tell the reaction of any fish to any given lure. I was a member at one time and can tell you that those guys (anglers) will buy most anything if it can increase their chances of catching bass.

Kilby

Hey Dallas... welcome to the site. I live in Baltimore as well. It's nice to see someone else in the area that is interested in multi-rotors.

I agree with Ken, the Dex is where it's at. I've been watching that thread over at RCGroups for a little while now. The only concern I have with that model is heat build up from having a sealed body. It looks like they are addressing that though with several options.

Let me know if you would like to check out some live flight sometime. I usually go out on the weekends, weather permiting.

Dallas

Boomer Sooner
Kilby,

Thanks for the warm welcome and would LOVE TO TAKE YOU UP ON YOUR OFFER! Live flight time is EXACTLY what I'd like to see, thanks for the the invite! I travel a lot for work , but any time you're heading out just give me a shout- I'm over in Canton on the water. I was looking REALLY hard at the Dex- the short flight time and overheating were the things scaring me away- but the rig seems perfect for me! Couldn't find real order info though. Thanks again for the welcome and look forward to seeing your setup in person.