Blade Chroma with CGO3 4k

Old Man

Thank you.

I'll be flying it in the next couple of days. Have rain coming in tomorrow and have been playing nursemaid for a convalescing wife for the past week and a half. The latter has prevented getting the flying side going any sooner. In the mean time I'm trying to provide a sense of system familiarity for readers. Only problem with that is I just don't know how to keep things short and sweet. Clinical writing is not my thing unless doing a tech manual.

Old Man

So... I broke down and went out to fly the Chroma today. No wind, early afternoon, a totally unobstructed flying area at a friends private runway. Hadn't seen the guy in 9 years so the logical thing to do was tool over there and ask to borrow his runway... Birds of a feather and all that, no problem, good to see ya, have at it but you have to look at my motorcycle collection afterwards. Hell yea. Doesn't hurt the place doubles as an RC field for FOGS like me (effin Old Guys) on weekends. I wanted a large and clear area for the first flights and this worked out perfectly. For the record, I made the first two flights without the camera for reasons I'll go into later. Yep, I screwed up a couple times and found out this thing is surprisingly durable...

I didn't get too deep into it this time around, using the two primary flight modes and dabbled, or perhaps more accurately, dribbled, in the Agility mode (meant for that to be Stability Mode but, oh well) a little, which is how I found out it's durable. Do not power up or try to fly the quad without first raising the GPS antenna. GPS and the compass are co-located in the same housing and if it does manage to let the motors spin up with the antenna down there's a high probability you will crash.

First Flight

I'm going to be blunt, in Smart Mode there's just no way a rank beginner can crash this thing unless they run into something. To avoid doing that just let go of the sticks. It stops right there and hovers, and now that center loaded throttle stick makes sense. You don't have to know anything to fly this in the Smart Mode. One thing they cannot hit is themselves because in this mode the copter has what's stated to be a 15' - 16' safe circle around the transmitter that it will not penetrate. I found that circle to be considerably less than 15'' but it never came closer than about 8' to me. In "Rabbit" mode it's not terribly fast, toolin' around somewhere between 5 and 8mph. In "Turtle" you can walk faster than it flies.

After everything boots up, connects, and starts talking to each other (when it says "Hello Pilot" on the user screen) you're ready to hold down the red button for a few seconds and the motors start to spin. Wait a few more seconds before it's ready to start talking to the motors, advance the throttle, and up you go. When you're as high as you want to be, let go of the throttle and that's where it stops. If you want to descend you have to pull back through the center point and hold it there to keep descending. Let go of the stick during descent and it stops and hovers right there, and that hover is very stable. It's smooth, casual and no surprises. Maneuvering in this mode is very similar to APM's Loiter in Super Simple except that no matter where the quad is relative to the take off point it moves to the stick direction, pull back and fly back, push forward and fly forward, copter orientation does not matter. I did this at all sides of the take off point with the same results. An RC beginner can bang the sticks all over the place with impunity, the Smart Mode is a self defense mode and protects both the quad from the user by limiting aircraft reaction to stick input and doing everything with grace.

Switching to Angle Mode (also called AP [aerial photo] Mode in Horizon videos) and things change a little bit. Everything is still fairly smooth but the quad reacts a little faster to stick input and you have to fly it. Right is right, left is left, forward and back as exactly that and tied to copter orientation. Here you are fully responsible for directional control while altitude is still controlled by the FC in the same manner it deals with Smart Mode. It's starts to get a little more fun here, being slightly faster than in Smart Mode. You no longer have a safe circle to save your bacon so remember to duck if you're a newbie.

Geo Fence

Because I don't trust anything the first time around, or the second through fifth, I set a max altitude of 180' and a lateral fence of 400'. It works. The quad will achieve your set limits and will not go any further, regardless of how long you hold the sticks thinking it might go further. There is no auto return when hitting the fence, it will just sit there. I found my fence limits to be pretty close to the max distance I could fly it and maintain visual orientation. The max allowable altitude limit is ~3200' AGL. The max allowable lateral distance is a bit over 8000'. Please set these to something a bit more reasonable when you connect to the GUI the first time. By default they are at the maximum allowable.

RTH

I tried triggering RTH at various distances and altitudes and it functioned reliably in the three flight modes flown. Checking with Horizon provided information that stated the RTH altitude is manufacturer set at 30'. If you are lower than that it will climb, but may do so while moving forward. If you are higher than that it may hold the higher altitude or start descending to 30' while on the way back to the take off point. You cannot adjust the RTH height. Keep this in mind when there are obstacles higher than 30' between the quad and the take off location when flying. It did violate the 3m safe zone when landing in RTH, but aagin came no closer that 8' to me. Although the telemetry noted a read on 18 satellites the landing position was off several feet from the take off position.

Agility Mode

You must be on the ground when changing over to Agility Mode. All that safe and serene flying, with all the associated stick banging you had been doing previously will lull you into a sense of complacency. If you're not ready for it Agility Mode might be considered more of a spastic mode if you hit the sticks fast or too hard. This quad suddenly has a new personality where it's quick, there are no maneuvering limits, and very responsive to the controls. It took all of about 5 seconds and three feet to be upside down and sliding on the runway. I'm a slow learner so did that twice before settling down. Now this can be fun! Don't use this mode with the camera attached unless you make some additions to the gimbal mounts. More on that later. No damage done aside from a couple of scuffed propellers on the top side. There is more to this than meets the eye and worth exploring.

Hover

The Chroma is rock solid in hover with virtually no drift evident. Agreed, there was no wind but it did a great job of holding position. Look at the quad's shadow in the first video looking at the house for reference, and the straight down to the runway view later in the video. There was no drift when yawed in either direction. Once planted, it stays there.

Video

I did not play with the video very much this time around, and what I did was shot in 1080p/30f just for kicks. I'll shoot and post more in other formats later. None will be massaged in any way. I have no video processing software on this new Windows 10 computer-yet. I simply plugged in the micro SD card and copied the files to folder. They downloaded in MP4 format. I was not able to get the camera to trigger the shutter for stills as it's supposedly capable of so no still shots were made. I made no effort to shoot a well composed and planned video, and had a devil of a time with the video screen because of glare, suggesting the installation of the glare shield is a must. Again. there are no post processing alterations to the video. What you see in the link is straight off the micro SD card in the camera. Oh, a micro to regular SD adapter is not included with the copter kit. If you can't directly download from a micro SD card you'll need to pick up an adapter. It comes with a 16gig card so you may want to pick up a class 10, 32 gig card while you're at it. The first video; YUN0001 was shot while in Smart Mode. I shot a second, shorter video in Angle Mode and was not happy with the gimbals's horizon performance.

First Flight, Smart Mode

Second Flight-Angle Mode

For those so inclined, both videos can be downloaded for you to try out your post processing methods to see how Chroma video might work out for you. Both originate as MP4 in 1080p. Some 4k stuff later.

Post Flight

This thing is absolutely geared towards the beginner that knows nothing about RC flight or quad copter operations. To that purpose it works relatively perfectly. I need to RTFM to see what I may have done wrong with the still shot function, and delve much more deeply into the less automated flight modes. There may well have been a camera calibration missed during the initial set up, which could explain other gimbal issues experienced. My thoughts have the advanced flight modes as an area where the quad can come alive for the experienced user that's not afraid to explore a little. Remove the camera during your initial explorations though. She can get loose and wild in those modes.

The gimbal needs some help at the anti vibration sleeves. I call them sleeves because these are not the balls as usually found on Tarot style gimbals, and are much, much softer than what you've seen before. You must run a couple of small zip ties or loops of light fishing line through the dampeners at two corners to assure the camera remains attached to the mount if high G loads are experienced. With some help from a Great Dane this Chroma was knocked onto its side in my living room a couple of times and with one knock over two of the dampeners separated from the mount. The dampeners are all that holds the camera to the mount. That camera runs $600.00 so find a way to assure it stays where you put it.

Just about every thing you can break is plug and play replaceable, with spares available from Horizon. Gear, GPS mast, FC board, video card, camera, etc, are all user serviceable. That's not a bad thing. The external stuff is removed by disconnecting an electrical plug and depressing a finger tab, then lifting clear. A set of hex keys is provided for accessing FC and video boards. I did not fly either battery used down to minimums but flight time was quite good. I never really thought about how long I'd been up and flight battery voltage was displayed on the screen at all times so there was no worry about running one too low. I'll have to time a few flights going forward to provide more accurate flight time info.

Personally, I think just about all of the "consumer drones" are over priced, and this one is no different in that respect. It's too early to make a call on how good it is/might be for the experienced flyer or advanced aerial imagery person. For the beginner it's a definite "Go". More exploration in the Agility and Stability modes is in order, both of which have me very intrigued;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
there's no wind so the advantage goes to the camera/quad but the footage looks really nice and dreamy like it's not even moving

Bartman

Pat, just an FYI, for search purposes I retitled the thread to Blade Chroma.....also moved it to the reviews area

Great job, very fair and thorough.

Old Man

No probs, and thanks! We're not done with the review yet though.

I think I'll explore the back half of my California property tomorrow to view a small heard of deer that have taken up residence there.

Old Man

You're welcome.

An update on the still camera "issue" I was having. It appears the issue was operator induced, not camera or software. When taking a still picture depress the shutter button quickly and release it. Do not hold the shutter button down for extended period of time.

The camera shoots stills in 1080, not 4k. Great photos but there is a significant exposure difference between the video and still phase of operation. The still function takes a picture considerably more under exposed than what the video delivers, but that easily corrected in post with even the most basic photo Microsoft processing software. I'll get some examples of those differences up in a day or so.

Video is stored in 5 minute folders. If you are shooting something more than 5 minutes long it starts a new folder and you get to stitch the files together in post. GoPro Studio will work for Chroma video if you already have it.

So far it's a keeper. It has some automated flight features that will permit the narcissists out there to fall even more in love with themselves;) It may well be the ultimate aerial selfie cam.

Something else very desirable. The quad and the transmitter sits in the front seat of a pickup truck with room to spare and rides well on the landing gear without tipping. A travel case is not needed unless packed for long distance or air carriers. Truly a grab and go tool for those that desire something like that.

Old Man

Shot the linked test video in 4k, 25F and uploaded direct to Vimeo with zero post processing. For some reason I haven't been able to play it back through Vimeo at anything higher than 720. Perhaps one of you readers will know how to change that. In any case one has to learn the yaw rates of the Chroma to make effective use of the copter. The gimbal only provides stabilization and control of tilt. Yaw is handled by rotating the copter and that rotation is much too fast if you're not paying attention. It can be a very smooth flying little copter.

Again, the flight was not planned for scene selection or framing, just flown and recorded so people can see the quality and stability of the video in unedited format. All the videos are open for any to down load and tinker with to see how their editing software works out.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
That's some nice country you got for filming out there!

Can't recall of you mentioned it - but is there expo that can be heavily dialed in to smooth the Yaw?

Old Man

Central California cattle and old mining country, it ain't half bad. The half that is bad sits in government buildings...

No tweaks are available for rates or expo. Sensitivity changes with the mode used but in the video the softest available was in play. It can become considerably more aggressive as one moves through the basic and non tracking modes. You have to develop a "feel" for yaw and make use of the video screen.

Old Man

I'm going to close out this review and open it up for Q&A for those that have a desire to go that direction.

Assessment and Personal Opinion

As much as high end specialized rigs serve the market, the day of the "Consumer Drone" is upon us and likely won't be going away anytime soon. Since ready built, ready to fly copters are available not just at hobby shops but also at big box stores, audio/video/computer stores, and large camera distributors we have to face the fact that most people will buy them on impulse or after viewing them in an an advertising saturated media as we get closer to Christmas. This being the case one critical factor is paramount, that consumer must be presented to opportunity to fly the aircraft safely the first time they grab the sticks. Regardless of the manufacturer name, safety is a must. The Chroma absolutely provides that ability and Horizon and Yuneec deserve a "Well Done" for putting the software/firmware together in a manner where anyone that can read, watch a video, or follow simple verbal directions could perform a successful flight the first time out. I think I mentioned previously that I put mine in the hands of someone that had never, ever flown anything RC and he performed a flight from take off to landing with no problem at all as I talked him through it. I've got enough flights on mine to establish it works, is reliable, and allows the user to quickly develop trust in the unit.

Even better, the system is set up in a manner that allows the new user to gain confidence as they gain flight experience that will allow them to explore the more advanced flight modes in the system. The aircraft can be fully aerobatic for those so inclined. You might want to remove the gimbal first though and install a fixed position camera if you want video during such flight. The user with a bit of experience can switch into stability mode which increases airspeed and maneuverability buy a considerable amount. They will need to remember they will be controlling altitude at all times with the left stick, but the experienced flyer will have no problem. In the basic flight modes the quad is extremely stable, making it a great tool for the beginner. Controls with the Chroma are very proportional so a little practice can let the user turn out some smooth work.

Does it shoot Red, Arri, or Black Magic quality video? Nope, but it's not supposed to. It does shoot some pretty darn good video over a wide range of settings in 1080 and 4k, and has some video presets that allows the user to choose between several visual effects. The video product is good enough to be adapted to higher end production work if desired. The video is formatted in MP4, making it easy to work with through more common video editors. White balance can be adjusted using multiple preset selections as well. It takes a pretty nice still shot that is easily manipulated in post, with even MS Picture Manager doing a fair job of it. What's irritating is that my wife finally got to see what 4k video looks like and is now badgering me for a new television...

If you break it there is a parts and service support system in place to fix it. Much of the Chroma is user serviceable with readily available parts at prices that are not terribly high. You don't have to send it back for every little thing that might go wrong, saving the user a lot of time and money. The proprietary battery can be found at different locations for less $$ than priced through Horizon. The charger works. It's not the best in the world but it works and highly unlikely to cause a battery fire due to excessive charge rates. 3 or 4 batteries will likely keep you flying all day with minimal interruption. It's got great flight time on a charge.

A decent consumer drone seems to be running between $1,000 and $1,800 and the Chroma falls in the lower half of the price range. You don't need to buy any additional devices to see the video or control the copter. At least two of the other consumer drones do require an additional smart phone or tablet, which puts the Chroma at the low end of the price range by eliminating those purchases. So on a scale of Buy or Not Buy, IMO it's a Buy. It does what it's advertised to do, and a little more for those that want to expand their own ability.

Is it perfect? Again, nope, there are areas it could stand some improvement, and my thoughts on that are listed below.
  • It needs a much, much more comprehensive/expansive set of printed instructions. Online videos are generally not available out in the boonies where someone will be flying.
  • The forward legs of the landing gear could be splayed outward to keep the gear out of the camera view.
  • The software needs to be modified to permit user alteration of RTH altitude.
  • The software needs to come out of the box with a geo fence altitude default of under 400' instead of 410'
  • The default horizontal geo fence limit should also be 400'. Geo fence is user adjustable.
  • The glare shield could stand some improvement with a slight modification of the lower portion of the framework.
  • The transmitter should be changed to place the view screen at the top of the transmitter.
  • Provide for an optional set of higher performance propellers.
  • Oh, how about some color options other than white? Plastic tint is cheap.
But ultimately it's a fun little quad that shoots some pretty good video, and that's what it's advertised to be.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Great review! Thanks for being so thorough. Really great pros/cons list at he end. Very helpful for anyone considering this as an option.

Old Man

Some Camera Hints

As I've played with this some things about the camera have come to light I thought I'd share to perhaps save a little frustration for others. It's a good camera and I'd guess on a par with what the Phantom carries but it has some quirks.

1. The lens does generate some distortion on both sides of center. Vertical objects develop a "lean" to either side of center. During a fast yaw this distortion is quite apparent. Performing yaw very slowly eliminates most of that distortion. This is caused by the type of sensor used in the camera, it cannot process images fast enough to capture data faster than the copter rotates. Most of our sport cameras use similar sensors so this trait is not alarming, just something to be aware of and compensate for in your flying technique. This is not apparent when the copter is stationary.
  2. If planning to take still shots, do them before pushing the video button. If you start by taking video you probably won't be able to capture a still picture afterwards. I think this may have something to do with the way data volume is pumped to the SD card.
  3. If you want to make screen grabs from video, use the 4k video settings. The resolution is much higher and allows for some losses if you crop or resize the screen grab.
  4. In "Auto" mode the white balance compensation can be quite severe when shooting "Up Sun". As the lens comes onto the sun the video will darken considerably so use the tilt function to avoid direct sun shots, or plan your flight to avoid shooting directly into the sun.
  5. Some spectacular video results can be obtained under overcast conditions, even just a little after sunrise and just after sunset. Kind of reminds one of those f11 exposures than can be oh so brilliant and deeply color saturated seashore and forest shots.
Stills Update

Set the camera to the highest 4k settings when planning on capturing stills. Although the stills are rendered in what is essentially 1080 the camera will not trigger the shutter if the video settings are at 1080p levels.

Windows 10 Users

A guy just came up with a way to get the Chroma GUI to upload on Windows 10 machines. He has a You Tube video for how it's done that was posted last night. Many thanks to John Cuppi for his diligent efforts in creating the method and the video.

rupP

I think I'm sold, though here in UK the typhoon looks the better deal with handheld gimbal and carry case. Have pretty much convinced myself that I need this as a portable backup :) Very informative review btw.
I was going to ask about using the camera for stills but your last post covered most of that. At 112 degrees fov is about 11/12mm focal length in 35mm full frame terms. Not super wide like the CG02 but still a bit wider than I would like and may contribute to the distortion issues that you mention .
Can it fly full circle around an object (or poi) controlled from out of shot or will it only fly around the handset?
Did you find a way to improve the horizon performance in angle mode? It is way out on the turns in your video. Something a firmware upgrade should be able to fix.

Bartman

@Old Man would you like to come on "Drone" Radio Live and give us a live update/summary on this review you've done??

Old Man

The Chroma uses the transmitter as the reference when flying a "nose in" circle or for the Tracking mode. There is an optional "wand" available that will allow control of the aircraft that it will track/follow. I have not explored that option function myself. The Chroma does not have a GPS navigation/waypoint function so it won't fly a point of interest flight plan. I have not seen the severe horizon shift again after performing another full calibration, but I have not pushed the quad as hard as I did during the sample video test flight. And it was purposely flown pretty hard. It can be flown a lot more aggressively, and faster, in Agility and Stability. I would not use the gimbal in Agility mode as aerobatics and gimbals don't mix..

I've had a lot of fog here the last couple days, not good for photography. I want to play with the still function in every video setting to establish exactly which settings will permit still captures since there may be more available than I've experienced thus far. Photos re-size pretty well but users should remember the Chroma camera functions similar to a Go Pro in that it needs to be fairly close to a photo subject to minimize the need for cropping. It's still a fairly wide frame. Perhaps someday sport camera makers will figure out that such wide angles aren't needed much of the time. OTH, I've found the Chroma to pretty darn stable and trustworthy when hovering close to inanimate objects. Some, if not most, lens distortion can be corrected in post using various programs, and is a fairly common activity among sport camera users.

I think the primary differences between the Typhoon and the Chroma are size; the Typhoon is larger. speed; the Chroma is a lot faster in Stability and Agility modes, software access, the Typhoon provides more, and range; the Chroma appears to allow a bit longer range but this is not something I am emphasizing since it would promote BLOS operation. Horizon does have a Chroma package that includes a carrying case.

Edit

I downloaded the Chroma v1.02 software update and went out back to do a short flight in crappy weather in Angle mode to see how it came out. The results are shown in the linked video. Seems there were no issues with a horizon shift this time. Again, uploaded from the video card with no post processing. Shot in 4k. Perhaps important, not sure, but the camera seems to accept 16g, 32g, and 64g micro SD cards. I was trying out a SanDisk class 10, 64gig card on this flight. I've tried all three storage sizes thus far.

Played with the video settings again and found that to shoot stills the settings have to be adjusted to 1080-120F and above for still to capture. Below that the video screen message states that the capture was incomplete. So the ability to capture stills is not as restricted as I previously mentioned, there are quite a few settings available that will permit still captures, just not the lowest 3 or 4.

Some stills shot of an oak tree. Shot on a down slope with the Chroma ~40'-50' from the tree.

View attachment 27010 View attachment 27011 View attachment 27012

Attachments

• YUN00004.jpg
    YUN00004.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 361
  • YUN00008.jpg
    YUN00008.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 330
  • YUN00009.jpg
    YUN00009.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 329

Old Man

@Old Man would you like to come on "Drone" Radio Live and give us a live update/summary on this review you've done??

Sure, I could do that. I've heading back up to my work locale Friday and will be busy getting re-settled again on Saturday but after that it's all good. Skype connection, yes? Permit me to get that loaded on the new laptop, I don't trust the old laptop anymore.

Old Man

Propellers-After Market

Earlier in this thread I lamented on a lack of carbon propellers for the Chroma. Well, it seems someone else thought there was a need as well. It appears a German company has developed and marketed a considerably more aggressive fiber filled propeller for the Chroma. I have yet to obtain a set but those that have have managed to provide a few flight reports that indicate they are no worse than the stock propellers and may improve maneuverability and perhaps reduce load on the battery. The testing methods used thus far do not appear to be very scientific so the reported data is not accurate, but for the price I will be giving them a try. A link to the product is included for you to review.

http://carolinadronz.com/products/aeronaut-camcarbon-light-prop-for-blade-chroma-10x5-set-of-4

rupP

On the back of this review and while my bigger bird sporting DJI kit is playing silly b**gers, I bought a 4k Typhoon last week. I'm impressed.
Only got to fly it for a few minutes so far thanks to relentless wind, rain and short winter days here in UK.
First impression in both smart and angle mades is of slower response to the sticks than expected but this has to be of huge benefit as an aerial imaging platform.
It has a smooth and solid feel that inspires confidence and that is despite first flight in 15+mph winds. I'm itching to get familiar with it and start playing with some of its amazing features. :)