Beware Wookong-M fantastic deal with 50 waypoints!

Hi,

I recently bought the Wookong-M deal with 50 waypoints etc etc., to go with my S800 EVO. It came with the plastic V1 IMU.
THEN I discovered that a V2 IMU has been released, in a metal case, which is much better with the S800 Evo (apparently).
Had I known this before my purchase I would have bought just the Wookong-M with the V2 IMU, and not bothered with the 50 waypoints (will I ever use them?), but I didn't know enough and the dealer didn't tell me, so my fault, I suppose.
Still, is this fantastic deal a way for DJI to offload their old stock?

Hi,
I recently bought the Wookong-M deal with 50 waypoints etc etc., to go with my S800 EVO. It came with the plastic V1 IMU.
THEN I discovered that a V2 IMU has been released, in a metal case, which is much better with the S800 Evo (apparently).
Had I known this before my purchase I would have bought just the Wookong-M with the V2 IMU, and not bothered with the 50 waypoints (will I ever use them?), but I didn't know enough and the dealer didn't tell me, so my fault, I suppose.
Agreed that you are sacrificing one thing for another. But your giving up a <$200 item (I forget the exact trade in amount) for a ~$1600 item. If you never plan to use it, that's one thing. I bought the package because it was an *unbelievable* steal, and I knew full well it was the v1 IMU, but I wanted the waypoints. I have not had any problems with my v1 IMU, and if/when I choose to go to the new IMU, it's quite affordable.

deluge2

Agreed that you are sacrificing one thing for another. But your giving up a <$200 item (I forget the exact trade in amount) for a ~$1600 item. If you never plan to use it, that's one thing. I bought the package because it was an *unbelievable* steal, and I knew full well it was the v1 IMU, but I wanted the waypoints. I have not had any problems with my v1 IMU, and if/when I choose to go to the new IMU, it's quite affordable.

As regards the WKM IMU v2, I've been told by an authorized dealer here in the US that it is no longer a trade-in item. I'm reasonably confident this is true since I received one for $240usd from them with no trade-in. This is fortunate because I didn't have a v1 to trade in, since I'm still waiting on a pre-ordered EVO (but that's another story...).

Steve

cbpagent72

I also got a v2 imu without having to trade in my old imu. I am now stuck with a brand new v1 imu. I am in the same boat as you, still waiting for my s800 Evo. I am pretty close to canceling my order and buying a Droidworx Sky jib. The only factor that has me hesitating is the short flight times reported from Skyjib owners compared with S800s with similar payload weights. I am referring to the Skyjib 6.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

cbpagent72

I am not sure but I figured $240 was much cheaper than replacing a whole aircraft due to an imu failure.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

VNBN

Have the same problem and asked my dealer about the upgrade: According to him, replacing the Wookong is not a problem, since the 50 waypoint license is stored in the PMU. I'm unsure now...

ChrisViperM

The serial numbers and waypoint activation codes are stored in the Flight controller....that box where you connect all your ESC's, GPS and receiver.

View attachment 13318

If you damage your Flight controller with waypoints activated, you have to send in the damaged unit to DJI China, and only then they will issue a new activation code.....most stupid procedure, but that's what it is.....

According to him, replacing the Wookong is not a problem, since the 50 waypoint license is stored in the PMU......

If that's the answer you got, start looking for a new dealer......the PMU is nothing else than a BEC

Chris

Attachments

• 103596_Kreisel_DJI___Wookong_M.jpg
    103596_Kreisel_DJI___Wookong_M.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 350

B

Bengit

Hi,

Why did you think it was so cheap?

Kilby

The act of selling waypoints is a scam to begin with. Doesn't the A2 come with unlimited waypoints for free?

Kilby

Seriously. I saw it on their site at this URL. Oddly enough, this page has since been taken down. http://www.dji.com/product/a2/

It makes sense though. No one else charges for extra waypoints, and the tech involved in making it happen doesn't get any more expensive if you do 1 or 100. I've always thought that was a scam that they would have to get around sooner or later.

ChrisViperM

I guess they are sitting now in their "Situations Room" and are scratching their heads how to get out of that mess......

Chris

cbpagent72

I guess they are sitting now in their "Situations Room" and are scratching their heads how to get out of that mess......

Chris

They aren't worried about getting out of any messes, they have 0 customer support so it probably isn't an issue to promise the world and never deliver it when they won't support it anyways. One of these days DJI will screw over the wrong person and they will actually sue DJI and possibly create a class-action lawsuit. I bet there will not a shortage of people wanting to join the suit. They are a big enough company now they can afford to hire a real US CEO such as someone with a MBA degree and who knows how to run a business not a PR person like Colin with a BS in Communication and Media studies http://www.linkedin.com/in/colinguinn. The guy doesn't have to know how to fly a Phantom or an S800 but he should know how to make DJI a successful company with real post purchase support and pre-purchase support as well.