Battery Manteinance: discharge

Federico

Hi folks,
a newbie question.

I read a lot about "battery manteinance".

Now I have two questions which I didn't find yet a proper answer:

--- discharge, C variables and chargers with discharge function ----

I read that sometimes it's useful to make a fully discharge process and take the cell to 3.00 volt and then charge again.

first question is: how often is useful to have a full discharge a recharge process?

Second question: how to properly discharge a battery to 3.00 volt per cell?
I'm asking this question cause I've got a HobbyKing Quattro 4x6s that has the discharge function with default configurations.

For my 5000mha 30C 4s battery... the program has two limits: 1Amp discharge and 180 minutes time limit! It takes milion years to take the 4 cells to 3volts and every time the process it's been stopped by the 180 minutes limit!

Now... why a battery that has 30C has to be discharged with 1AMP only? It can resist till... more or less 150amps!

suggestions?

Thank you in advance,

Federico

JCLs

The charger is not designed to dissipate a lot of heat and discharging battery generates heat. Limiting to 1 amp limits the heat generated. I don’t know where you read that taking a battery to 3 volts per cell is good maintenance but it is not. Battery manufacturers publish battery guidelines and most say never to discharge below 3.2 volts. The thing about pulling batteries way down is a carry over from other battery types. It does not apply to LiPos. Do not store charged batteries, that is bad for them. Your charger should have a “storage” setting and using that will charge or discharge batteries to around 3.85 volts or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jamesb72

Re discharging most chargers have very low power rating for discharge ie 5w.

You can use light bulb rigs or dedicated dischargers to discharge batteries more quickly i have this one but there are other more diy versions with separate light bulbs.