AXI 2814/22 and eCalc

nemorov

Hi guys,

Interested in peoples experiences with the AXI 2814/22 and eCalc figures.
Following a recent motor failure on our custom built HEX I started looking at the figures on Ecalc.

Until recently we were running our copter on 2x 3s 5000mah batteries without any problems.
After installing a DJI Z15 Gimbal we uprated our cells to 4s cells to accommodate the Gimbal power requirements.
Several test flights in the UK ( 20degree ambient temperature ) went fine without any flight issues apart from some drifting of the Gimbal.
On location in Borneo (35-40degree ambient air temp) on the first flight the copter flipped on landing and appears to have blown one of the AXI motors. Visual damage to the windings inside the motor.

Trying to diagnose the problem I put all the figures into eCalc.
Using our current 13 x 7 props, 4s batteries and the 2814/22 motors with our TOW of 6.2kg I get over current warnings for the motors. This would account for our motor failure, especially given the high ambient temperatures experienced in Borneo.

However when I started playing around with other figures I find it hard to get any combination using the 2814/22 on a 'heavy' copter that will work so I'm interested in other peoples experiences of using these motors on heavy lift copters...
If you're flying these motors on a HEX whats your battery and prop configurations and Take Off Weight?
Any other observations also welcome.

Its looking like my only option to get something that is within tolerance according to eCalc is to change motors to a low Kv rated motor such as the Tiger MT3515/15 (400Kv) and use 6s batteries.
This interestingly is very similar to the setup used in the DJI S800 which uses 320Kv motors and 6s batteries.

Anyone have experience or thoughts on the Tiger motors?

Thanks,

gavin.

www.gavinnewman.com

nemorov

Should also mention that our previous setup before adding the Z15 had a similar Take Off Weight around 5.5 - 6kg with a AV200 gimbal and ran the 2814/22 motors on 3s batteries without any problems, but eCalc suggests that this combination should not have enough power to Hover??

Gavin.