ARRIS ZHAOYUN Brushless Gimbal

mediaguru

Here is a print screen of my settings, I use the latest firmware v2.40b7
attachment.php

I always use manual mode for video, or aperture priority if the light changes a lot. I always use M focus, the sony 16mm can be a pain in the a.. to focus. I have taped the focusring to the lens housing and take a picture of something at infinity range on AF, the switch to M focus before i attached the camera to the gimbal. Hope this will help you get the results you are looking for.

Wow your settings are quite different than mine. My P and I are much higher than yours and the D is a few ticks lower. Your power levels are lower as well.

Yes I suspected such a procedure for the NEX focus. That's a total pain, but if it works then great. The menuing system versus actual knobs on the nex make working with it while mounted to the gimbal difficult.

Søren Koch

thats a good question. this gimbal is only suitable for the pancake lens. so it doesnt make any sense if you cannot switch to better lenses

I agree that it's crazy that there is no option to adjust CG. Therefore, I have designed my own parts and upgraded the gimbal to be able to adjust the CG. Now it works perfectly with my Voigtlaender 15mm. Below you can see the parts I've made.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• GMB_1.jpg
    GMB_1.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 387
  • GMB_2.jpg
    GMB_2.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 401

Søren Koch

Yes, 16-50mm works fine with standard gimbal. But if you want to upgrade to high end lenses which are often heavier than those made ​​of plastic, the problem of CG occur.

mediaguru

Yes, 16-50mm works fine with standard gimbal. But if you want to upgrade to high end lenses which are often heavier than those made ​​of plastic, the problem of CG occur.

I could definitely see getting a higher quality piece of glass, which would be heavier. But a prime would be the ticket. No zoom. No point in using that on a multirotor.

Søren Koch

Yes a prime is the ticket to better quality. I now only flies with the 15mm, I have not yet been in a situration where I would like to have more than the 15mm, the beauty of a multi rotor is that if you want to get closer, then just fly closer :)

SjaakZwart

Yesterday I received my Zhaoyun pro. Now I have to balance the gimbal with my Sony Nex 5N with a Sigma 19mm lens. But how do I put contra weight to the back? How do you people balance your Zhaoyun?
View attachment 20196
View attachment 20197

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409837708.013502.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409837708.013502.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 342
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409837727.078888.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409837727.078888.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 336

MacDougal

I have a problem in the Pan and Pitch axis using my LS/RS slide levers getting the axis to stay centered on my Futaba 14SG. Settings stock w/angle mode. They always drift slowly. Is there a way to make them stay centered?

mediaguru

Yes a prime is the ticket to better quality. I now only flies with the 15mm, I have not yet been in a situration where I would like to have more than the 15mm, the beauty of a multi rotor is that if you want to get closer, then just fly closer :)

Very smart!

Søren Koch

I have just updated the gimbal to my final design. It is now possible to adjust the CG so that the gimbal will work with better and larger lenses than the 16mm. In my opinion it makes an ok gimbal to an very nice gimbal :)

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• G1.jpg
    G1.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 417
  • G2.jpg
    G2.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 434
  • G3.jpg
    G3.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 379

Søren Koch

Done with the last PID tuning, I think the result is pretty nice, video straight from cam, no post.

Last edited by a moderator:

SjaakZwart

Amazing results... I'm thinking about your offer Søren!

How do other people balance their gimbal without the standard pancake lens? I put some counterweight on the backside of the camera (Sony Nex 5N with a Sigma 19mm lens). Without power the gimbal stays horizontal but if I move the camera, it doesn't stay that position. I saw that's the best way tweaking a gimbal or do I miss something else?

stealthdragonb

Soren Koch,
Are you able to send me the cad files for the latest mount you made for the arris zhaoyun gimbal? I'm planning on using it with the new Lumix LX100 soon to be released, not sure if it has live composite video out by usb though.

By the way at the moment I am using it with the gopro in the acrylic housing. My motor seem to be getting quite hot but not very very hot. Do you recommend lowering the power values to the values you posted in the your PID screenshot or do I also need to adjust PID values as well?

stealthdragonb

I have experienced the same problems with the video jumps up and down. I solved it by using some hard viberations dampers and set the PID very accurately. I fly with both sony 16mm and with voigtlaender 15mm. I use two different profiles as 15mm is much heavier than the Sony 16mm. The gimbal can easily handle the camera is heaviest in the front if PID's is right. I realize that it's best if it's all in ballance and consider modifying the gimbal so I can move the CG.

What are the hard dampers you are using?

At the moment whenever I throttle up and descend I am get bouncing in the video. Will stiffer damapers help, I guess there is a fine point because going to stiff could then introduce high frequency vibrations to the camera.

If you can share a link to your dampers and how many you are using that will be great