Any tips for maiden flight. My first multirotor / using naza

Cswann821

Hi everyone , I am just about done building my first multi rotor and was wondering if any one had any tips or checks for pre maiden flight and things to look out for during the flight?? My multi rotor is a next level 650 quad, with a DJ naza V2 with GPS FC . I have lots of experience flying fixed wings and nitro helis, should I start manual mode ???

Thanks
cswann821

Hi Cswann821

I recently completed my first Multirotor maiden flight on a F550 with Naza V2. I am happy to say it went well. Things to look out for... arm the motors and let it sit on the ground idling for a minute or so. check for any strange noise or vibrations and the props are spinning correct direction. Once comfortable with that. take of and allow the craft to level out and hover... again allow it to sit and hover for a moment. it may want to move around a little so be gentle on the controls. I am not sure what your pilot skills are like but make very small and minor movements in pre thought out directions. if the multi seems to be miss behaving don't push it the best bet is to land it safely and review. It maybe a bit slow and dull but I bet it is allot better than time spent on costly repairs from rushing.

Oh and pick a big open field and dont fly very high. Space is your friend. it gives you time to for your brain to catch up with it and make reverse adjustments to bring it back or down or both.

The Naza 2 also takes a little while to "boot up", give or take a minute before you can start the motors. Once you see those green lights, then the amber for Attitude Mode (I agree with SjaakZwart Atti is the way to go) your TX is online now. See how it rises... good luck with the maiden - fun stuff.

RobertsUp

My first build maidened on Sunday morning. It scared me. It's definitely not an mQX. It's powerful. I maidened in GPS and the craft has issues but it didn't crash. Good luck with your first flight. Be sure that you have a good lock on satellites. My craft flew with only 4 satellites. Two green flashes and two red flashes. I lifted off anyways because I knew I could control it with the sticks. It may have maidened well in atti mode but I was able to see how well the GPS worked. If at all.

It lifted straight up and drifted to port with the wind. I was able to control it and bring it back and keep it near and then I saw the classic toilet bowl effect. It described about a 5 meter circle going 'round where it thought it should be. End of first test flight.

I adjusted the compass and also re-measured it's position. I changed X and Y from 6 cm to 7 cm. On the 2nd test flight the TBE phenomenon was gone. The craft still drifted but in the last five minutes of the last flight the drifting diminished and when the low voltage LED indicator came on the craft was hovering in place. Despite the wind.

Now I'm experimenting with placement of the GPS module. Before, it was only an inch away from an ESC. I suspect RF interference.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cswann821

Well I'm planning on doing the maiden today. The only thing I'm unsure of is setting the gains and what to expect from them. For now I left them At the naza set default . I double checked directions the motors are spinning ... And made sure the propellers are mounted with the size number written on them is pointed upwars, which makes the blade twist pointed upward as I'd they would screw upwards towards the sky.. This is correct right??

All and All with 9 x 4.5 propellers, 4x iflight/ ipower 2217q 880kv motors , 4x next level 30amp esc, dj naza v2 with GPS, next level quad 650 mm frame ... Alot of wiring powered by 2x 45c 4s 5000mah in parallel !! My quad weighs in at about 6lbs!!! Which is around 2750 grams ! 2150 grams if I only use one battery.

Each motor is rated at about 1120 g of thrust on a 4s with a 9x4.5 prop. So I should have enough lift to get off the ground.... I think. !!! Lol

ill take some pics!

Cswann821

Need help with poer!

View attachment 12506 Well, I did my maiden if we can call it that. At full throttle she barely would hover more than 6feet. After about 1-2 min or so of what I would call " struggling to find the power to hover" I couldn't get the quad off of the ground, unless I threw in the elevator/aileron movements...then she would just try to tip to the sides. Am I missing something here? Is there a throttle setting? lol she seams to lack the power or be over weight. I did the flight with one battery which makes her 2200grams. Any thoughts on what to check or do? Maybe I should have gotten Cobra Motors.

Thanks,

Attachments

• Quad.jpg
    Quad.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 415

RobertsUp

Before my first flight I calibrated my ESC's but got inconsistent feedback. I'm still not sure I did it right. I tried a couple different ways. I ended up starting with all the ESC wires unplugged from the FC, then, with the TX on and throttle set to high I plugged in the ESC's one at a time and then lowered the throttle. Unplugged that ESC then plugged in the next one. On a couple of arms the ESC emitted a beep when plugged in. Others were silent. One emitted two beeps after the throttle was lowered. Inconsistent.

Nevertheless on the maiden flight the craft shot upwards like a rocket and flew well for the most part. I think it reached a hundred feet high at one point before I became scared and lowered throttle because I had stories of flyaways in the back of my mind. It didn't fly away.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi everyone , I am just about done building my first multi rotor and was wondering if any one had any tips or checks for pre maiden flight and things to look out for during the flight?? My multi rotor is a next level 650 quad, with a DJ naza V2 with GPS FC . I have lots of experience flying fixed wings and nitro helis, should I start manual mode ???

Thanks
cswann821

I equate my first quad flight with the first time I had sex.
I had no idea what I was doing but it sure was exciting.
After 20 years of flying planes my knees were shaking like a first flight on a buddy box.
All good hints given you here.
Atti mode. Lots of space. Go slow stay low.
Most of all, enjoy the feeling. It goes away with practice.