Another Phantom Fly Away - IMPORTANT

sk8brd

i for one would like a analyzer but they seem pricey.-any recommendations? i have seen on flight test-youtube that those guys have had control brownout's due to a tower near by and tuned out the frequency not on naza of course there were flying a fixed wing. there is no guarantee is this hobby that there will not be user error or mechanical failure i think we all know that and love flying anyway!

sk8brd

many are on wkm and doing ok. just check out some cinestar flies that are not on mk. i agree that a black box option should be user accesible on all dji flight controllers. That is one reason i have been checking out super x. The a2 has this i believe

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Oh man it's that easy?! holy cow! Great send us the fix!!!!! It's because it isn't a bug in the software.

So it's not your responsibility to look for external factors that would prevent your system from performing correctly? Hmmmm...So because it's wet out I should not slow down? I shouldn't do a pre-flight check? I shouldn't take my heart medication since other peoples hearts are fine? What you are doing is passing the blame, which is a product of today's society and also the hindering anyone from helping this gentleman in need.

You can troll as you are, but don't be upset when noone cares. DJI has made the phantom so that you can use their product flawlessly under the right conditions, all products are made this way. If your watch is not waterproof you don't jump in the water... ALL RADIO FREQUENCY technology is prone to interference...even our toughest military products. To expect that there are no external factors that will affect any products is pretty ignorant. At least that sheds light on to why you feel the way you do. I hope, only for the safety of others, that you will scan your flyign field so that whatever you are flying does not cause property damage OR damage to people. As hobbyist we need to be above the name calling and the finger pointing and take a level of responsibility. I genuinely would like to help the gentleman with his problem, but just because his aircraft flew away does not make it DJI's fault. Have fun flying!

Yes, it's that easy. Make a controller that responds properly to RFI. It's 2014 man. This ain't rocket science.

What is the point of scanning for radio interference before you fly, when interference (or any number of problems) can and do crop up at any time?

The system I use tells me if there's a radio problem, with live information. Then if the radio control is completely lost, it simply comes home and lands automatically. So what exactly is the problem with DJI?

Requiring all users to have radio scanners is insane. And pointless, as it can happen at any time. The same way GPS reception can fail at any time, so your flight controller should do something intelligent about it.

Railhound

Radio Interference excuse

Oh man it's that easy?! holy cow! Great send us the fix!!!!! It's because it isn't a bug in the software.

So it's not your responsibility to look for external factors that would prevent your system from performing correctly? Hmmmm...So because it's wet out I should not slow down? I shouldn't do a pre-flight check? I shouldn't take my heart medication since other peoples hearts are fine? What you are doing is passing the blame, which is a product of today's society and also the hindering anyone from helping this gentleman in need.

You can troll as you are, but don't be upset when noone cares. DJI has made the phantom so that you can use their product flawlessly under the right conditions, all products are made this way. If your watch is not waterproof you don't jump in the water... ALL RADIO FREQUENCY technology is prone to interference...even our toughest military products. To expect that there are no external factors that will affect any products is pretty ignorant. At least that sheds light on to why you feel the way you do. I hope, only for the safety of others, that you will scan your flyign field so that whatever you are flying does not cause property damage OR damage to people. As hobbyist we need to be above the name calling and the finger pointing and take a level of responsibility. I genuinely would like to help the gentleman with his problem, but just because his aircraft flew away does not make it DJI's fault. Have fun flying!

TheUFGadet

Well I care. This product has an obvious defect in it at as been carried over from the Phantom 1 to the Phantom 2.

I had flown my new Phantom 2 about 10 times with no issues. All firmware was up to date. I started a flight as usual. Green lights on for GPS lock. Camera was connected. All seemed normal. Started slow ascent. Within 3-4 seconds the Phantom 2 fully throttled up, camera feed was lost (no message though). It went straight up to about 10-12 meters and then just peeled off on its own never to be seen again.

I disabled the transmitter. It should have returned home. Obviously, this a bug in the device which makes it very dangerous. It is NOT a radio interference issue as I have read posts from guys who were in the middle of the jungle or away in the country and this happened to them. It is also quite obvious that the fail safe mechanism does not work properly. Lastly, if this device is so badly susceptible to radio interference as you contend, then it should not be flown as it is dangerous to do so almost anywhere in the world where there is any chance of radio interference thus rendering the product useless.

G

...guest...

OR ... you guys can do like I did after I got sick of DJI's lack of bedside manners and just stop buying DJI. I've since moved onto OP and have not looked back.

Like they say ... vote with your feet.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
OP? Open Pilot? I use CC3D but will keep DJI for some things, not exactly oranges and apples but they do have different attractions.

Pete