And Finally....one from (Drum roll)..West Africa !!

U.F.O

Hi Guys,

I have been monitoring this and other forums for about 8 months now. I'm a helicopter pilot (real ones), Nigerian, looking for my next rush and decided to go UAV for personal and commercial purposes. I bought a hexa, DJI wookong waypoints, OSD, t8j with r2008sb, all ready to fly, (4 months ago), blew a motor on first flight...:black_eyed:, and took up the challenge of building it all up again by following threads and you tube videos without posting a single question, I also bought and set up a tarot t2d which I finally sorted out yesterday. Now, four months and two brains later, I feel worthy enough to join the forum officially cos I got most of the info from here !. Thanks a lot Guys. I'll be letting you guys know how they fly on this side of the planet !...

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Welcome to the site and kudos for the progress you've made so far!

With West Africa represented, what's left? Thule, Greenland?

U.F.O

Thanks Bartman, but one for the moderators please, I seem to be running into difficulty logging in to the forum from my personal internet provider. Says connection to the forum is not allowed
. I'm able to post this because I'm in the US right now. Any Ideas please?

U.F.O

Motors not giving equal power

Hello All,

Did a little testing with my hexa on the ground, 50% power and full directional controls, three motors (1,3,5) seem to be giving less power than the other three (2,4,6) and on lift, the hexa rises up front first and plants the two rear blades in the sand. The Centre of gravity tests (balancing opposing arms on metal bars) showed the hexa balances pretty much at the centre. Any ideas please ?

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Aye Up UFO

Has this just developed from a craft that ws flying?

Dave

BTW welcome to the forum.

Tomstoy2

Assuming you have all the props rotating properly,,, at lift off, the gyro's are not stabilized. You do not want to linger at take off but 'pop' it into the air about 3 feet. Before take off, I like to wiggle the sticks, just to make sure I see it responding to the inputs to verify.

U.F.O

Assuming you have all the props rotating properly,,, at lift off, the gyro's are not stabilized. You do not want to linger at take off but 'pop' it into the air about 3 feet. Before take off, I like to wiggle the sticks, just to make sure I see it responding to the inputs to verify.

I wiggle the sticks and I can see the arm raise more when i turn right than when i turn left, and more then i tilt back than when i tilt front, I must confess I do linger, and i also set the idle speed to lowest on the wookong assistant, I'm afraid popping it up like that would send it into some involuntary acrobatics....am i wrong?

Tomstoy2

As the gyro's are in a unstable state on the ground all movements might not be equal.
The thing to ensure, as an example, if you push the pitch forward, does it indeed try to tilt forward or off to the side.

First lift off is a real scary moment. Make damn sure your transmitter to esc throttle calibration is done. This is CRITICAL.
With props off, do all the motors follow stick movement?
With props off and motors running, wiggle the wires to ensure nothing drops out.
Props balanced.
In assistant, on the calibration screen, does stick movement follow the screen movement, up is up not down, stuff like that?
Make damn sure the motors are all rotating the correct direction and the props are all correctly mounted for that rotation, also CRITICAL.

If all that is done, then it should respond correctly.
Guard yourself against a fly away the first lift off. Anchor it to the ground with a long piece of twine, say 10 feet.
Pop her off the ground to about 3 feet. If it behaves correctly and does not drift off, ( drift should never be adjusted with trim, if it drifts most of the time was because you did not have the WKM level when doing calibration ), let it sit in place for a whole battery. This 'burns in' the electronics.

First flight, att mode. DO NOT use manual. Give yourself about 40% expo on all your controls except throttle.

Afterward, give your craft a thorough inspection,make sure nothing shook loose or no wire are abrading.
After that you can start working on setting gains.

Last edited by a moderator:

U.F.O

Wow, Thanks !...

Will get to it ASAP but now that you mentioned it, are the motors meant to turn in opposing directions as well?. the props were set in opposing spin though, and there's been the occasional tilt to the right on forward input, that was when i had a friend hold it up, some directional controls didn't seem to respond

Tomstoy2

Yes, the motor rotation must be set correctly. This is done by swapping two of the three motor leads around. Don't matter which two.Also, both the imu and the gps puck have and arrow on them identifying forward.

Last edited by a moderator:

U.F.O

FPV beginner issues.

I'm done smacking myself. I had the blades on the wrong way !. I need advice on my FPV issues though.
I have tried all 7 channels on my immersion Uno 5.8 for each of the 7 dipswitch options on my fatshark 100mw Tx. I have been through the manuals and havent gotten more than 10 feet and it goes "no signal" on every channel if i go an inch further, My best channels are 5740 and 5760 on the Tx. I've read posts that claim good signals even in another room indoors and I'm wondering what I havent done. I use a SMA stock fatshark cloverleaf Tx and Skew planar Rx antennas. I have uploaded a picture of my machine. Any good advice will be appreciated. I just need a nudge in the right direction. Been on it all week and the lightbulbs are out.
confused.png
View attachment 19154View attachment 19155View attachment 19156

Attachments

• 2014626190930.jpg
    2014626190930.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 173
  • 2014626190943.jpg
    2014626190943.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 155
  • 2014626191002.jpg
    2014626191002.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 306