Altitude. Mode vs. GPS Mode

subpar

Hello all,

I'm an obvious noob here. Can someone please explaning the difference between the two modes and the pros / cons of flying with each?

Thanks!

brantdw

Im a noob also but I know a little about them. The ATT mode lets the quad fly on its internal accelorometers and needs no outside input. The GPS mode uses satalites to gain it position and keeps it in one spot. To use always wait for a good satalite track. Put your cell phone and any other electronics far away. Gopro 3 wireless set to OFF. Switch to ATT mode and take off. Once airborne you can go into GPS. The GPS will activate the failsafes to go home if the transmitter signal is lost. If the quad freaks out anytime in the GPS mode, switch it to ATT while in flight. Enjoy and be carefull.

subpar

Im a noob also but I know a little about them. The ATT mode lets the quad fly on its internal accelorometers and needs no outside input. The GPS mode uses satalites to gain it position and keeps it in one spot. To use always wait for a good satalite track. Put your cell phone and any other electronics far away. Gopro 3 wireless set to OFF. Switch to ATT mode and take off. Once airborne you can go into GPS. The GPS will activate the failsafes to go home if the transmitter signal is lost. If the quad freaks out anytime in the GPS mode, switch it to ATT while in flight. Enjoy and be carefull.

Thanks for the response. So what if I'm flying a GP3+? I cannot utilize the wifi in conjuction with GPS mode?

brantdw

The WiFi could mess with the GPS. I generaly use the wifi to set up the camera and then turn it off. Its a risk to leave it on. The descion is up to you.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Righto just to clear this up, I have no idea what "Altitude" mode is, what controller.

If you are referring to ATTITUDE mode as is used on the Naza-M controllers then I can assist a little.

Attitude mode restricts the amount of pitch and roll (attitude) that is allowable during normal flight, basically the craft will not tilt past 45 degrees (or whatever the figure is) for both pitch and roll during normal flight in ATTI and GPS mode. Manual will let you pitch and roll past 45 degrees.

GPS adds extra features like Return To Home (RTH) and Intelligent Orientation Control (IOC) where pulling back on the elevator stick makes the craft fly directly back towards its start point. GPS mode will also allow the craft to hold position even in quite strong winds.

Cheers

Pete

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I agree with Pete explanation of attitude mode, one should add though that attitude mode stabilizes that copter compared to manual mode, which means if you are in attitude mode and command it to go left and let go of the stick again it will level and keep on drifting left. In GPS mode letting go of the stick will result in it keeping position once you let go of the stick. In manual mode it will not stabilize and you will have to command it back to a level position.

In general though, you guys should really aim at feeling comfortable in attitude mode. Be in command to the fullest in attitude mode. GPS mode is nice but its not bulletproof ! GPS can drop out at any point due to signal drop outs GPS reflection resulting in false position info etc.

The right approach is to learn how to fly in attitude mode. If you come into a situation for example nose in flight were you don't know were left and right is anymore than flick in GPS hold orientate yourself and bring it back again in attitude mode.

Pilots with big copter and heavy can equipment on it will not fly GPS mode they will stick to attitude mode since they want to stay in control. GPS may be used in situation for rescue return to home or when your eyes have to leave the copter.

Boris

Maverick

From my experience, these two modes give quite a different feel on the sticks.

In ATTI mode, it seems smoother, and not as rigid, and more flowing, for smoother shots, as you can let go of the aileron/elevator stick, and the MR will slow itself down gradually (calm weather of course), and give a nice subtle change to orientation or direction, whereas in GPS ATTI, these controls are noticeably more stiff and rigid, and require bigger and longer stick inputs to get the same effect. The same can be achieved in both modes, but you have to know the bigger/longer inputs to give, and smoother flying is definitely easier in ATTI. It also seems to pick up speed quicker in ATTI, by keeping the same stick input, as opposed to GPS ATTI, and of course it stops quicker too when you let go.
I tend to only use GPS ATTI, when filming in heavy wind, so it doesn't get carried away, or for doing panning shots while moving in a particular direction - IOC 'Home Lock', or for stills.
Once you have reliable GPS HOLD, it's very comforting while filming in heavy winds, knowing that your MR is going to do 'exactly what it says on the tin'. You don't really have to compensate for wind, just concentrate on constant stick inputs with more deflection.

Hope this explains what my experiences have been...

Mav.