AlexMos and other brushless gimbal controllers....what is the truth?

yeehaanow

We have been flying the Movi for several weeks now without a single issue with our Red Epic. It is fast and stupid simple to adjust; literally a 5 year old can do it once its balanced. Rebalancing for different lens, filter, etc. takes less than a minute. The holding power is more than adequate in forward flight. I don't have the luxury of tinkering with things on set so it has been a good choice so far so zero regrets.

This has been my experience with all the freefly products. If you are a pro and have the client base to afford it, they just work. The radians were 3x's the price of anything else on the market at the time, but they served a lot of people well, including me, and never gave any problems. I do have a slight hesitation to fly a gimbal that essentially doubles the price of the rig though!

As many here, I've had the same frustrations tuning the alexmos setup. I thought I read sometime ago that he was writing a "self-tuning" code, which seems like it wouldn't be that difficult to do, in theory, but I don't have a clue what it would take.
My advice is to use the DJI approach, stick with one camera, lens, and (filter) and don't change anything. Spend the day(s) to get that setup tuned perfectly, then put it to work. Definitely don't change your setup the night before a gig and try and re-tune.
In the tuning I always struggle between balancing enough holding power for the wind versus smooth stabilization. It's much easier to get the stabilization better with lower power.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
yeehaa...
True.... the Alexmos and others are still a bit behind but the gap is closing. The latest firmware for the 32 bit 3 axis has auto-tune which works to free up time for the other issues. Still there are needs to resolve BGC resonance by means of the new firmware notch filters and/or adaptive PID gain control and/or the low pass filtering. Don't expect it to be easy for a BGC that has to accommodate a broader range of BGs, camera etc.

This has been my experience with all the freefly products. If you are a pro and have the client base to afford it, they just work. The radians were 3x's the price of anything else on the market at the time, but they served a lot of people well, including me, and never gave any problems. I do have a slight hesitation to fly a gimbal that essentially doubles the price of the rig though!

As many here, I've had the same frustrations tuning the alexmos setup. I thought I read sometime ago that he was writing a "self-tuning" code, which seems like it wouldn't be that difficult to do, in theory, but I don't have a clue what it would take.
My advice is to use the DJI approach, stick with one camera, lens, and (filter) and don't change anything. Spend the day(s) to get that setup tuned perfectly, then put it to work. Definitely don't change your setup the night before a gig and try and re-tune.
In the tuning I always struggle between balancing enough holding power for the wind versus smooth stabilization. It's much easier to get the stabilization better with lower power.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
just dug my CM2000 V1 gimbal out of storage and can't find the original V1.3 software, anyone know where to grab a copy of the software?