AeroXcraft Go Pro Gimbal and Naza

ROVguy

Ok, its been a fair while since Ive been on here. Im in the process of upgrading my F450 to a F550 Ive purchased the AeroXcraft landing gear and Go Pro Tilt and Roll Gimbal.
Which you can see here:-

http://www.aeroxcraft.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13&products_id=20

and here:-

http://www.aeroxcraft.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=5

Ive already received and assembled the Landing Gear and it looks very nice and feels like it weighs nothing so Im very much looking forward to receiving the gimbal.

My question is, what are the does and donts when setting up the gimbal on the Naza? Ive never setup or used a gimbal before.

Thanks in advance.

Rich.

Bowley

Hi Rich, long time....
dont expect too much from this setup, It'll be OK for stills to keep a level horizon.
The Naza gimbal outputs are pants and the gimbal is just direct servo drive, is it?
The setup is fairly straightforward in the software. set to 400hz, gains will probably be pretty low, like 10-20%,

ROVguy

Hi Steve, its good to see you still on here. Well for a starting point I thought it would be ok. I was wanting the Go Pro off the main body of the airframe. Im not expecting miracles, but its gotta be better than what I had surely.

How have you been? Im mostly on FPVhub these days. Quite a lot of local guys on there. Oh... and Ive succumbed to buying myself a little powered glider lol.
Anyway, back on topic, Im hoping getting the gimbal will alleviate the really bad Jello Im getting, is it likely or will I still experience it? Heres a link to my first FPV flight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knH2saYrUg8

Bowley

Ah the jello, what a struggle I had to get rid of it, got there eventually with 3 levels of isolation/absorption and an ND filter for bright light conditions, oh the biggest improvement was switching to smaller graupner props

ROVguy

It only started becoming noticeable when I started using 10" props.... with 4S lipos. If I switched over to 3S it would have to be 2x 3300mah which is very heavy. The alternative is to switch back to 8" I guess, but how much lift would I lose?

Bowley

I use 9x5 graupners, work equally well with 3S and 4S, I use 5500mAh 3S or 4000mAh 4S. Thats just on a 450 though.
Bet the gliders good fun!!

Rehost

I've had terrible results with this gimbal. Like they say, good for leveling camera but the twitchy movements will give you Jello unrelated to prop/motor balancing.

Also, before setting 400hz refresh make sure your servos support it. You will hear them on the bench as you move or better yet, check the specs.

Don't expect too much, as I did. "How bad could it be", ya pretty bad LOL

Regards,
Dan

animau

Well for me i manage to have a good result with this gimbal...f550, graupner 9", 4000mhs 4s 40c, everything balanced, i think is the key here and yes, it not smooth as the zenmuse or whatever expensive gimbal out ther but it pretty good for the price i think...
here the result

tks!

Last edited by a moderator:

ROVguy

Hey guys, maidened the hexa today. Didn't go well. The hexa was drawing way too much current. 30A @ half throttle. The independent lipo voltage alarm was going off as well. I've since checked the lipo it read 16v and 75% capacity!

I'm running stock dji motors, esc's, 8" props and 4S lipo.
The gimbal servos are savox sh-0257mg connected direct to the Naza and the Naza is set to 400 hz. I'm assuming that is ok?