Aerosim flight sim, now with MK multis...

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I found myself needing to order a few odds and ends for the MK fleet so while I was online doing that I added a copy of Aerosim for those rainy weekend days when you want to be out flying but just can't.

Now I already have a perfectly good copy of Realflight that I used extensively back in my RC heli flying days but there aren't any really good multirotor models for it. The few that exist have been modified from something else and don't really fly all that much like a real multi, so when I saw that Aerosim has real Holger approved MK multis in it, I just had to give it a try. Big plus, my JR 11X plugs right into the system using the provided cable and works perfectly, nothing like using a sim with your own radio! :)

Installation was about as easy as it gets, insert the CD in the drive and then run the setup program. Once the setup was done I started the program, found the built in help file and figured out how to get my TX setup correctly. Time from box to first flight was less than 15 minutes.

As soon as I had functional controls I had to try the MK Hexa, so I selected that model, spun up the motors, and off it went. I have to say it really does fly like the real thing, if anything the autoleveling is a bit too aggressive compared to real life, I tried to do a loop but it just would not do it no matter how hard I tried. Oh well, it is a low $ sim so you can't expect it to be everything you want it to be! After successfully flying around for a while I parked the Hexa on the runway and started exploring the icons down at the bottom of the screen, that's when I discovered FPV flying.

Next flight I did as full FPV and that made it a lot more interesting, I made a high altitude sweep of the little island thats the default scenery before landing, again it comes pretty close to the real thing.

After using it for a while now I think it would be a great help to anyone getting into multis with little to no actual flying experience, the $98 price tag will easily pay for itself in saved repair costs from those little oopsies that tend to occur when learning to fly. If you already feel pretty comfortable flying a multi its also a great way to try new things with no risk or just get some stick time without leaving the house.

Now I'm going to swap computers and check out the Octo, never flown a flat Octo before, I'm curious to see how it compares to the Hexa.

Ken

Michael64

I brought it to check out the MK machine in the sim does the MK fly just like that it seems effortless to fly the MK Hexa, Quad and the Octo flies like a battleship if the the real thing flies like that I will have to get me one but the building a setup scares me a little there is alot to the MK that does not happen on the Sim as far as setup. Any insite to how difficult the actual build and set is how steep is the learning curve.

Michael64

I found myself needing to order a few odds and ends for the MK fleet so while I was online doing that I added a copy of Aerosim for those rainy weekend days when you want to be out flying but just can't.

Now I already have a perfectly good copy of Realflight that I used extensively back in my RC heli flying days but there aren't any really good multirotor models for it. The few that exist have been modified from something else and don't really fly all that much like a real multi, so when I saw that Aerosim has real Holger approved MK multis in it, I just had to give it a try. Big plus, my JR 11X plugs right into the system using the provided cable and works perfectly, nothing like using a sim with your own radio! :)

Installation was about as easy as it gets, insert the CD in the drive and then run the setup program. Once the setup was done I started the program, found the built in help file and figured out how to get my TX setup correctly. Time from box to first flight was less than 15 minutes.

As soon as I had functional controls I had to try the MK Hexa, so I selected that model, spun up the motors, and off it went. I have to say it really does fly like the real thing, if anything the autoleveling is a bit too aggressive compared to real life, I tried to do a loop but it just would not do it no matter how hard I tried. Oh well, it is a low $ sim so you can't expect it to be everything you want it to be! After successfully flying around for a while I parked the Hexa on the runway and started exploring the icons down at the bottom of the screen, that's when I discovered FPV flying.

Next flight I did as full FPV and that made it a lot more interesting, I made a high altitude sweep of the little island thats the default scenery before landing, again it comes pretty close to the real thing.

After using it for a while now I think it would be a great help to anyone getting into multis with little to no actual flying experience, the $98 price tag will easily pay for itself in saved repair costs from those little oopsies that tend to occur when learning to fly. If you already feel pretty comfortable flying a multi its also a great way to try new things with no risk or just get some stick time without leaving the house.

Now I'm going to swap computers and check out the Octo, never flown a flat Octo before, I'm curious to see how it compares to the Hexa.

Ken

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
the learning curve is very steep with an MK, it goes like this.........apply power, watch it hover....congrats you've reached the top of the learning curve!! Ok, maybe it isn't that simple but they fly great if you're in it for no fuss stability. there's a lot to learn with any multi-rotor, which on e you pick though depends on what you want to do with it.
Bart

odam2k

I bought a used quad first, and knew nothing about them, and found the learning curve quite steep... not the flying part, it pretty well flies itself. There is a lot to learn when it comes to how it goes together, what all the wires do, how to solder everything properly, doing software updates, configuration, using the tools to diagnose problems, etc.

It's not hard, there is just a LOT to learn.... and it IS a lot of fun!