Aeronavics / Droidworx AD-6 repair tech

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I recently installed a 3DR APM 2.5 on my well worn AD-6 heavy lifter, during the tuning process I noticed it was having issues with yaw stability so I decided it was time for a bench session to give the old bird a thorough examination. This particular frame hasn't seen a lot of use recently, the heavy lifting duties being handled by a Cinestar frame lately. The AD-6 has had many different flight controllers in its time from Mk to WKM, Hoverfly, Naza, the current APM 2.5, and for a short time even a Multiwii Pro board, its been around and had its share of "hard landings".

The main issue I found on close inspection was this...

For those of you familiar with the Droidworx AD6 series you know this is the top half of the motor mount and the missing chunk is how it locates the motor to the arm by a small pin that sticks down from the center. That missing pin should seat here...

The problem here is twofold, one the Delrin the part is made from is somewhat prone to cracking easily when it takes an impact, and as it ages Delrin tends to creep and deform, especially if it's held tightly in compression as the motor mounts are. End result is if you crash it can break the pin out of the mount as you see here, or over time the mount deforms under constant compression and as the sides get pulled down by the mounting bolts the pin gets pulled up out of the hole. End result either way is the motor no longer has any way to keep it located square to the frame so in the vertical plane it can be off in either direction from straight up and that can have a BIG effect on how steady it flys on the yaw axis, exactly the symptom I was seeing, not surprisingly because all of the 6 motor mounts had a problem with either deformation or missing pins from impact damage.

If you've ever priced replacement motor mounts for one of these frames you know they're a bit pricey, swapping out all six wasn't a viable option for an aging frame that doesn't see enough use to warrant the expense. Still, something had to be done because it simply wasn't ever going to fly right without having the motors locked onto the arm so they aren't leaning one way or the other. Here's the solution I came up with...

Taking off the bottom halves of the motor mounts I chucked each one into my lathe and using a drill chuck in the tailstock I drilled a hole in the exact center of the mount half with the appropriate bit for tapping the hole with 3mm threads...

Once that was done I swapped the drill bit for a 3mm tap and leaving the tailstock free to slide on the bed I rotated the chuck by hand, allowing the tap to start threading the hole in perfect alignment. Once the threads were started I took the tap and mount half out of the lathe and finished the threads by hand...

With the drilling and tapping completed the next step is to screw in a plastic 3mm screw that becomes the new locating pin for the motor mount...

Now the last step of the repair is to remove the through bolt from the inner boom clamp on the AD-6 frame and loosen the front clamp so the boom can rotate. Turn the boom 180 degrees so the motor mount locating hole is now on the bottom side of the boom where the new locating pin in the lower mount half can be inserted into to lock the motor in place. By using a plastic bolt I'm assured that if the motor hits the dirt in a hard landing it can shear, allowing the mount to move without damaging the carbon fiber boom as a metal bolt would.

When I got to boom number 6 I found yet another problem, at some point that arm had apparrently taken a decent hit and the inner boom clamp had lost its top half, gone, not even a broken chunk remaining. Not having a spare on hand and certainly not worth the shipping expense for that one little item I dug out a piece of round Delrin stock and made up a suitable replacement, boring out the center hole on the lathe and then cutting the flats in my mill...

Repairs completed it was time for reassembly. By the time I finished the heavy rain had abated enough to give it a test flight, HUGE improvement, the unpredictable yawing is gone now that all the motors are perfectly vertical and locked in place. Now once the rain goes away I can charge up some batteries and get on with dialing in the PID settings not having to worry about trying to tune around a mechanically unstable setup. This old bird has got life left in it yet and will be seeing duty carrying a Hero 3 on an RCTimer brushless gimbal! :)

Ken

Efliernz

Pete
Nicely done.

Even on my VM6 (that uses the same/similar motor mounts), the centering nipple snapped off mine during an arrival but the rest was intact.
With a drill-press I drilled it out with a 2.5mm drill, countersunk the other side and screwed/tapped a 10mm countersunk 3mm bolt.

A nice and cheap and quick and simple repair :)

Pete

951UAV

Nice thanks for sharing have the same prob on one mount as well. How do you like the APM on the AD6? I was thinking of trying one on the AD6.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Nice thanks for sharing have the same prob on one mount as well. How do you like the APM on the AD6? I was thinking of trying one on the AD6.

So far it looks good with the APM, and now that the motors are locked down it's flying straight vs weaving like a drunk. Haven't had an opportunity to get it out in the field with the APM yet, the motor issue prevented getting the tuning right so I've only done a few test flights so far. Since the repair it has been a lot more solid in the air but I have yet to get to the same locked in state of tune that the APM 2.5 on my FlipFPV frame has, it's going to take a session or two out in a large field with the laptop to get the handle on how a large hex needs to be setup vs. a small FPV quad. Thankfully the telemetry radio makes the process pretty easy once you have the room to fly it around and see how it responds to changes. I usually setup the various parameters on a TX slider and tune it in the air rather than land and make changes, process is much faster that way.

I'm planning an FPV outing for tomorrow so unless I can get also away for a while on Sunday AM the AD6 won't be getting fully dialed in until probably next weekend. Once I have it sorted I'll post some video, right now it's carrying a gimbal but no camera, one thing at a time...

Ken