A2 firmware v2.4 is incompatible with original Zenmuse Z-GH2

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
I have two identical EVO's. I upgraded the GPS puck to the new Pro Plus on only one EVO, just to make sure it all worked before upgrading the second.

The first 'nuisance' with the Pro Plus is that you MUST update the firmware to v2.4. After fiddle-faddling about trying to remove the airport restrictions because the 'I AGREE' button does not show up on a Mac running Parallels - but it does appear on the iPhone App - all seemed to be well until the EVO did one of those uncommanded yaws in gusty conditions. This is usually the precursor to mayhem but in this instance nothing worse developed.

However, a month later I have discovered another problem. The normal camera mount is a Zenmuse GH3, but swapping that for a Zenmuse GH2 has uncovered what I can only assume is a firmware v2.4 incompatibility with the original Zen. The Z-GH2 gets half way through its initialization and then gets totally confused as it graunches noisily back and forth without settling down. Swap the centre hub for the FW2.3 one with the original GPS Pro puck and everything if fine.

The two airframes are identical in every respect and in every configuration parameter but for the later FW2.4 on one of them. As there are no further Zenmuse firmware updates available for the Z-GH2, that gimbal cannot function at all unless the FW2.4 EVO is downgraded back to FW2.3 and the puck re-exchanged for the original version.

Well done DJI. You bleeding morons.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
My GH2 Zen works fine on my A2 with the Pro Plus puck so I am wondering if the problem lies elsewhere?

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Hmm. Curious. It worked okay before the ProPlus/FW2.4 upgrade and it still works with the second virtually identical airframe on FW2.3 with the old puck. Nothing else is different. How tiresome.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
My GH2 Zen works fine on my A2 with the Pro Plus puck so I am wondering if the problem lies elsewhere?

Really? I have just installed the Pro Plus puck with its obligatory FW2.4 upgrade on the second airframe that the Z15-GH2 previously functioned with and it now rejects the Zen. When powered up all seems normal and the Z15 spins its regular initialising dance. But as soon as it stops and faces forward all the motors start a violent graunching and the whole thing suffers from massive DDT's. Swapping the canbus cable to the PSU circuit instead of the GPS line is no different to not connecting it at all. The Zen just drifts without responding to manual command.

This has to be another half-assed DJI firmware upgrade where they add new features, in this case Pro Plus compatibility and Airport Limits, but simultaneously fcuk up the basics. And probably blissfully unaware as they never bother to fire up that old-out-of-date-uncool gear anymore. Seen it time and time again.