5.14 upgrade warning., test it !!!!!

vip

MY Ship.. droidwrox octO HLE8, 2814, 30 dji esc, av130/360, 1245 carbon props

I UPGRADED TO 5.14 YESTERDAY, FIRST FLIGHT I SAW, FOR THE FIRST TIME, WHITE FLASHES ONCE IN A WHILE.

THE SHIP SEEMED TO WANT TO GO LEFT AND I ALSO HAD FISHBOWL FOR THE FIRST TIME WITH THIS CRAFT.(yes I did the compass)

THEN WHILE FLYING DOWN THE SHORELINE SHOOTING VIDEO IT TOOK OFF AND ROLLED RIGHT ( LARGE ANGLE, out over the water) i HAD TO GO FULL STICK LEFT TO BRING IT JUST PAST LEVEL, KEPT THE STICK OVER FULL LEFT AND IT SLOWLY CAME BACK FROM OVER THE WATER.

ONCE OVER LAND THE CONTROL SLOWLY CAME BACK, I DID A FEW SMALL MOVES WITH IT BUT THERE WERE MANY WHITE FLASHES.

SO I LANDED AND DOWNGRADED THE SOFTWARE back to 5.12a

Just flew with 512a, One white flash on initial take off when GPS locked , then two sets of batteries without seeing the white flash anymore..Also Toilet bowl went away.. Held GPS point much better also.

There is SOMETHING different between the two versions :dread:

One thing to look out for, sometimes when you power up the wkm it glitches and in the tx screen you see the sticks are not centered. On power cycle everything turns to normal.

If you try to fly without checking if the WKm is glitching you get something similar to what you mentioned. Maybe it's not a firmware but a hardware problem since the glitch happens in all firmware.

vip

Thanks for the thought but I think what you are saying is hook it up to assist software before every flight?
That seems un practical...

when I set up a craft I hit default values and then go thru a complete setup everytime I upgrade.
If you read the rcgroup boards this is becoming a very common thing with white flashes and octo's flipping/LOSING CONTROL..

IF YOU HAVE AN OCTO BE CAREFUL..

Last edited by a moderator:

Tomstoy2

It is, also, extremely important to default all settings when upgrading and then write your settings back in, along with a full calibration of everything. Don't know if you did this, but it could be the problem, also, if you didn't.

I'm getting ready to upgrade to 5.14 very soon, myself. There has been hardly any reported incidents with this firmware. I run on 5.10 currently, never bothered with 5.12a or b as there was so many reported issues. 5.10 has worked perfectly on my Hexa for over 100 flights now.

Personally, I would like to hear more about how you did the upgrade.

vip

There is no secret to the upgrade. As I stated I do the default everytime then completely set it back up again.
I love this board as there seems to be many professionals here , but if you want to read reports go to rcgroups.com
You will re-think your "There has been hardly any reported incidents with this firmware" statement.

Don't fix it if it ain't broken or you do not have an absolute need to upgrade.

UAVproducts

Formerly DJIUSA
We have great success with 5.14. Did many test flights on Skyjib 8 yesterday and its the best it flew.
Make sure to re do all settings from scratch.

Digitech

we had one customer who blew a controller on a Heavy skyjib 8
carrying a red epic.
(negative cable was not soldered correctly by factory on the controller))
it was at about 15 meters up.
motor stopped and they where able to land it , without any issue .
no yaw nothing weird happend.
for me thais is proof that the wkm is a very good set

all on 5.14

vip

We have great success with 5.14. Did many test flights on Skyjib 8 yesterday and its the best it flew.
Make sure to re do all settings from scratch.

Yes as stated earlier i do reset everytime and re enter all my values, I did it again yesterday 5.12a to 5.14 just to test and I get allot of white flashes just hovering in the back yard. revert back to 5.12a and the white flashes go away.. Got me man :topsy_turvy: