4.5-5kg Y6 battery and prop selection questions

Danub

Well Droider convinced me and I tore my flat hex uap1 down and converted her to a Y6.

I am now waiting for some final bits to have nex5n downlink but have a couple of questions about batts and props.
AUW minus batteries is 3.5kg
AUW W/2x 4500 4S nanotech batts (i have 'em) is 4.5kg

I can't find the batts I want in stock soooo. . . . Will these work or are the "under C rated" I plan on using 2 batts in parallel per flight.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__11940__Turnigy_nano_tech_6000mah_4S_25_50C_Lipo_Pack.html
Or would this be a better choice? less mah but much higher c rating
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=24216

I am tryin' to stick with "USA in stock" batteries.
These batteries push my weight up about 200g which should be OK :eek:
It would be nice if hobbypartz got some batts in.

Also I am thinking about using a apc 12x3.8 slow flyers on the top motors and 12x4.7 slow flyer pushers on the lower motors. Will this be too much for the lower motors? E-calc says so but doesn't seem to account for the reduced load due to upper motors prop wash, leaving me to think it will be OK? Any thoughts would be appreciated :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Danub

Attachments

• G0020056.jpg
    G0020056.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 299
  • G0020062.jpg
    G0020062.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 309

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Aye Up Danub what FC you using? My ADX3 Y6 Wkm with 2 5000mah packs with Sony CX730 is 4.3 Kg. I get about 8/10 mins on the latest packs I got which are 5000mah 2/3c bargain basement packs running Graupner 11x5 electro's top and bottom. I have tried bigger bottom but it did not seem to mack any difference with the WKM or the MK FC

Dave

Danub

I am flying a Naza currently as my FC and CC3D as a gimbal controller.
I am using 12x3.8 props right now all around but have only done a bit of hovering with short directional flights LOS. Some guys swear by deeper pitch lower props for a "sharper" feel in flight, so I am gonna try and report back. If I am overpropped I might try 11's, 12's were on the shelf when I built this bird. . . Video gear is now on and waiting for weather to make a FPV flight. . . . Right now I only have one set of flight batts. I have been waiting for batteries to come in stock but have grown tired of waiting . . . . When you say bargain packs what do you mean??

Dewster

I converted my DJI F550 into a Y6 by hacking (sawing) and sanding arms using a Dremel sander. I had to carefully drill holes into the arms to mount coaxle motors. I fly with 2 6000 3s lipos, 2814 11 s motors and 30 amp DJI ESC. I Had 11x5 Graupners top and bottom, but flight performance wasn't as floaty as I wanted it to be. My craft would slowly lose altitude at low hover (10 to 15 feet). I found some 12x6 Graupners and placed them on the bottom motors. What a difference! More power, more lift, it stays in place vs. dropping from altitude. It's also rock solid in turbulent wind. Ill have to test my flight time to see if the added lift will be a hit on flight time or not.