3DR, What's up?

cootertwo

Wow, this part of the forum has been way too quiet. 3DR came out with the new Solo, all kinds of fan fare, video advertisements, etc. etc. then........... QUIET ???? What's going on 3DR? I expected more increasing hoopla and videos, but NO, nuttin honey?

cootertwo

Not released yet, that I know of. No "new" you tube videos, etc. etc. Best Buy is apparently the first to get any, and now there's a problem with spare batteries, and the $400 gimble not being available right away. So, the way I understand it, as of now, you might be able to buy a Solo, in the near future, but no spare battery, and no gimble. I'm not interested in a Solo, at all, but am interested in the direction that 3DR goes. I own 3 Iris+ quads, and recently bought an APM 2.6 clone to play with on a new F450 build. Was going to buy a REAL Pixhawk, with all the accessories etc. but found the Iris+ marked down to $599 on Amazon, so That's why I ordered the third one, for parts. Much cheaper. It just seems to me, that 3DR has hit a limbo mode for some reason. I fear some kind of transition, or perhaps a change of ownership?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I'm not sure why these companies offer the MRs for sale without having their manufacturing lined up to provide the parts they advertise. I know they want to start getting money in the coffers, but this move is reminiscent of a DJI move, with promises (or worse, stated features then rescinded).

Unfortunately for me, with equipment this complicated, not being able to plan release dates well begs the question of whether the rest of the MR is ready for prime time.

cootertwo

I just dunno either. I won't post anymore about this until I hear different. BUT, like you said, it is reminiscent of another company, and their recent move to CHINA from Mexico, also had me wondering what was going on. I liked the Iris+, and was totally dismayed at the Solo, special battery, another totally new transmitter, (not a reprogrammed Frysky), it's like a totally new company. I got a bad feeling they simply cashed out to the competition, or a foreign investor. Ha! That ought to get a comment from someone at 3DR. Let's see....................

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I liked the Iris+, and was totally dismayed at the Solo, special battery, another totally new transmitter, (not a reprogrammed Frysky), it's like a totally new company. I got a bad feeling they simply cashed out to the competition, or a foreign investor. Ha! That ought to get a comment from someone at 3DR. Let's see....................

Hmmmm who's on board now? Who's the "FACE?"
:rolleyes:

Vermiform

Pixhawk stuff is getting scarce with vendors as well. None of the larger vendors have any in stock and I'm scared to order from 3DR directly right now.

I hang around DIY Drones (http://diydrones.com) and there's lots of activity there. Having said that, the silence WRT the Solo is deafening. I understand why Pixhawk is getting scarce... they (3DR) have to make room (and create demand) for the about-to-be-released Pixhawk 2.

I understand and even agree with @cootertwo's apprehension WRT 3DR's direction. I mean, they moved production to f-ing China. Really? That's enough to make your skin crawl if your a 3DR fan (like me). :(

dazzab

I understand and even agree with @cootertwo's apprehension WRT 3DR's direction. I mean, they moved production to f-ing China. Really? That's enough to make your skin crawl if your a 3DR fan (like me). :(
Why? My understanding is that they moved the production there simple because the Chinese have the right equipment to make the highest quality gear and at a good price. You would probably be the first to complain if there was a manufacturing fault or if it was too expensive. So what are you complaining about? I'm sure it wasn't easy for them to make this decision. Remember, one of the founders is actually from Mexico. I doubt they would have made this move unless it was absolutely required. I'm very interested to see the Pixhawk2. It's not that different but has an additional IMU and finally some vibration isolation built in. I think the hardware has been holding back the software for some time so this is a huge advancement. The new hardware and software is going to be a real game changer. And all at an incredibly low price. As far as I'm concerned 3DR have simply done the impossible.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Dazzab, you are the first person I have ever seen tout the the stellar craftsmanship coming out of China. I don't think it's a matter of it not being possible here in the states, but more a matter of bottom line analysis.

I've gotten some decent stuff made in China, but very little. Actually, very, very little.

I don't doubt that strict quality control of samples coming out of a Chinese factory could help ensure they have a product they could be proud of, but....hey wait, maybe that's why they're late with this stuff to begin with? :)

dazzab

Dazzab, you are the first person I have ever seen tout the the stellar craftsmanship coming out of China. I don't think it's a matter of it not being possible here in the states, but more a matter of bottom line analysis.
I'm speaking specifically about the Pixhawk board but I think you would be hard pressed to find any electronic component that doesn't have a Chinese product in it somewhere. Why is that?

I don't believe Mexico has the same quality equipment to produce the board as the Chinese. One thing you are all forgetting is that it's highly likely that the components being assembled in Mexico that make up the Pixhawk were probably produced in China anyway. No need to be xenophobic folks. It's a brave new world that extends well beyond the borders of your country.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
It's not xenophobic, it's just experience. I have no issue with where the product comes from globally, as long as it has the quality I need, and feel I have paid for. Sadly, this has often not been the case with products from China. Not always. But often.

If you are genuinely asking "why is that?" about Parts/products being made in China, I think the most basic answer is less about China being in possession of the only equipment capable of making these parts, but that China devalues their currency to be more competitive in the global market, and has no issue exploiting low labor costs. Cheap man. Cheap.

dazzab

@Motopreserve - Good points. I didn't say China had the only equipment. I said they had equipment that Mexico doesn't. Very good points about China's currency and cheap labour. As a serious question, do you think consumers would pay $350-$400 for a Pixhawk rather than $200? People already complain that it's too expensive even though it's probably more capable than a DJI flight controller that costs$1500. I'm pretty sure they are made in China as well. It doesn't seem to have hurt their sales.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
It's a good question. I can tell you that personally, I would pay more for an FC that I felt had the quality, features and inspired confidence, regardless of where it was manufactured. In fact, I have paid more than that for Chinese made FCs and been pretty satisfied (SuperX).

I think 3DR specifically is in a sticky situation, having come from an open source community that thrives on cheap components (Chinese or otherwise) and infinitely cheap labor (free for software), therefore it could offer products at a much lower price point. But increased costs are going to alienate a certain segment of their core market, can't avoid that. I'm assuming that to keep costs competitive, they have opted for Chinese manufacturing and labor. It's not guaranteed to be a bad call, but it could make quality control more difficult - now that they are not within a stone's throw of the plant. I think the most successful attempts at this include company people on the ground in-country who participate at the factory level. I have no idea whether this is part of 3DR's plans/process.

I think the most interesting issue will be how 3DR handle going from a self proclaimed "flying robot" business to what the CEO just described at Maker Faire as aN "aerospace company."

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
There is a great difference between "manufactured in China" and "designed in China". Nikon makes most of their cameras and lenses in China or Thailand nowdays and the quality is still pretty good because the were designed in Japan. Just give the chinese the drawings and the tools they need and they can manufacture great products. Products that are all out chinese is a different matter...

cootertwo

Cheap/slave labor, and NO EPA. I saw some galvanized chain link fence material at Home Depot, had a sticker, "made in Viet Nam", there again, cheap/slave labor, NO EPA regulations. Look at the smog problem China now has, during it's current industrial revolution. I wonder how long before all those plants look like some of the automobile plants in Detroit Michigan. Saw a sad video taken by a drone, of the old, now falling apart "Body By Fisher" plant. So sad.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Wow, this part of the forum has been way too quiet. 3DR came out with the new Solo, all kinds of fan fare, video advertisements, etc. etc. then........... QUIET ???? What's going on 3DR? I expected more increasing hoopla and videos, but NO, nuttin honey?

just read all of the comments here.....3DR has all of the money they should need but I'm beginning to think they need competent management. Chris Anderson might be a great spin doctor but by all indications he's a horrible CEO if this is the best 3DR can do.

Marsaa

Hi folks, very interesting assumptions, but only Solo manufacturing was moved out to China, it's not a quality or cost thing,, just a biz strategy as far as I now, and yep, big changes in the company, but fortunately all cool 3dr stuff still being produced in Mexico, e a firstaa hand contact there and more nicer things to come from Mx including PH2 and new vehicles.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Pixhawk 2 is going to be released as a standalone FC system?

They need more of a product pipeline instead of a buzz pipeline. Other than that I'm rooting for them.