3DR Iris+... My experience so far

sledge57

So working out of town all last week (as usual) and the weather's gone to crap again (Michigan, go figure) so no flying, but...

I've been looking around the net for info on using different props on the Iris+, std props are 9.5x4.5. What I've found is some talk about using APC SF 10x4.7 or HQ 10x4.7 props for increased efficiency.

Seems all I need, other than props, is a set of DJI Phantom prop nuts and some 6mm spacers (have those).

So I ordered the nuts and a few props today. I already have a set of APC MR 10x5s which I'm going to try and I ordered a couple sets of the HQ 10x.4.7s and a couple sets of HQ 10x5s.

Hopefully I can give some insight on how these work next weekend, going to test out flying time in hover with each of the various props. Just need to decide on a good voltage to stop the test. I think the Pixhawk Battery FS is set to 10.5v. I'm thinking of a tad higher, maybe 10.75 - 11v and hovering until the FS forces the Iris to land and timing each flight that way.

Kind of leaning to 11v, better safe than sorry...

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
doug,
is there enough prop shaft on the motors for a standard prop and prop nut? the shafts are pretty short for the 3DR screw on props

glider

So working out of town all last week (as usual) and the weather's gone to crap again (Michigan, go figure) so no flying, but...

I've been looking around the net for info on using different props on the Iris+, std props are 9.5x4.5. What I've found is some talk about using APC SF 10x4.7 or HQ 10x4.7 props for increased efficiency.

Seems all I need, other than props, is a set of DJI Phantom prop nuts and some 6mm spacers (have those).

So I ordered the nuts and a few props today. I already have a set of APC MR 10x5s which I'm going to try and I ordered a couple sets of the HQ 10x.4.7s and a couple sets of HQ 10x5s.

Hopefully I can give some insight on how these work next weekend, going to test out flying time in hover with each of the various props. Just need to decide on a good voltage to stop the test. I think the Pixhawk Battery FS is set to 10.5v. I'm thinking of a tad higher, maybe 10.75 - 11v and hovering until the FS forces the Iris to land and timing each flight that way.

Kind of leaning to 11v, better safe than sorry...
Yeah, the weather is horrible here in Michigan. Overday!

sledge57

Finally had a nice day and the time to fly the Iris+ again, and....... I forgot to go in and turn off simple mode. And yes I crashed again when I got near the "Line Of Death!" Old age and a crappy memory suck!

Only 1 prop and my pride broken. Went and immediately turn off "Simple Death Mode" and today it's too windy to fly again.... Maybe later this evening.

sledge57

So aside from that how's it working out for you?

Was great in GPS mode, not sure why I thought I had removed "simple mode"
and changed the mode in that position to stabilize mode (like it is now)

I think I'll continue to blame OLD AGE and a severe case of C.R.S. (Can't Remember Shi*)

Going to re-name Simple mode to Auto-Crash mode... :rolleyes:

Old Man

Tea, it takes some time to get used to the numerous flight modes, and I think even more are coming in a month or so. If yu want to have some fun, take off the camera/gimbal, or at least disconnect them from power and go fly in "Drift" mode. The copter will over bank the gimbal limits if it's powered up. Forget using yaw because it will be slaved to roll channel automatically. You fly it like a model plane with the right stick for forward and turns. Left stick is only for power. I strongly recommend you don't try to back up, but you can fly hard and fast going forward. The front of the copter always leads. Make sure it's a large open field.

Loiter is another very useful mode. Rock solid in position hold, while still or in motion. Use that one if out in the boonies and have a full bladder. Park it up there, set down the radio, and it will be there when you come back to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

sledge57

Just watched a video of a guy flying in "Drift mode" which sounds exactly like guide mode. Is it the same just renamed?

Old Man

Just watched a video of a guy flying in "Drift mode" which sounds exactly like guide mode. Is it the same just renamed?

Yea, especially when the renaming was done by me in error:rolleyes: They have too many flight modes... Drift is correct where Guide is a mode for semi autonomous work.

Old Man

Thanks. That caused me to dust off my 3DR APM quad tonight and update the software. Just so I could load up the drift mode. Last time I flew with that I had a gimbal and camera and a much heavier MR. A lot of fun but really hard on the gimbal. Nothing fancy on the quad, just a bare bones multirotor. Gonna have some fun:)