3DR anyone else having problems??

RCJardin

Not so new and improving
Well said Old Man. The cheapest customers to have are the repeat business ones who also pass on the good info to potential new ones.
I'm new and drawn to 3DR because they look good, their web info and support feels good and there is much written about the good support to date. I have bought Pixhawk and no other "Hawk" because of the backup reputation. I look forward to ordering a Solo once I read a few in the field reviews.

dazzab

I had a good look at a Solo last week that was at our RC club. I thought it looked very nice and was very impressed with the Tx. I'll see if I can arrange a test flight next weekend and take some photos for you guys.

Old Man

If you would like to be a super hero capture some video from the camera in various flight modes and post it somewhere, without editing. The grand debate everywhere at the moment is over how the Solo video compares with that of P3, and is the Solo stable enough in flight for the gimbal to provide clear video. Of course it is and does but a lot of people want proof.

dazzab

If you would like to be a super hero capture some video from the camera in various flight modes and post it somewhere, without editing.
Just back from a full day at the flying club and I'm afraid it's a 'no go' on flying the Solo. Because it hasn't been officially released I'll have to wait until the final production units are released before I can fly one. :-(

Old Man

I was surprised you saw it out there the first time. They are keeping this one really close to the vest for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

cootertwo

Yes, it is very strange. I've been checking you tube for any new video's. I wonder if 3DR is just swamped with orders, or if they are swamped with problems, or just plain swamped? I got a big envelope the other day, with 2 big Solo posters, and some decals. They sure have spent the money pushing the product. Maybe they are waiting for all the complaints to pile up about the Phantom 3, before claiming they can do it better ??? The Iris+ is down to $599 on Amazon. Yes, I ordered a third, just for parts. I so bad..........:p

Old Man

At that price you're getting a full Pixhawk with a copter and transmitter thrown in for only a $100 or so more. Not a bad deal at all. I don't like the transmitter for it though.

cootertwo

Yes I agree, sooner or later they will probably offer "kit" options. But for now, it is a deal, to get a REAL Pixhawk, with all the extras, and a pretty good quad thrown in. Transmitter can go in the trash though, or to the shelf with all the other outdated, old radio's. I'm too old and confused, to try to figure out what big companies try to do. 3DR had a pretty good thing going, but with the new Solo project, special high $$$ smart batteries, transmitter made by who knows? it's almost like a new start-up company. Their web site, in my opinion, needs work. I don't know if it's me and my computer, or what, but I always have to shrink my screen size, to be able to see the "submit" button, or anything else that is out of view. I tried ordering my first Iris+ from 3DR site, and got so frustrated, I wound up at Amazon.com, no problems with screen size, etc. etc. was the same price at the time, now even cheaper, and free shipping, if you are a prime member. In any event, I now have enough Iris+ machines, to experiment with. I just installed longer battery leads from the circuit board, to make plugging the battery in much easier. Also notched the battery compartment door, to get the connections outside the body. Did a test flight yesterday, in some wind, and the Iris+ that I had to put a new motor in. Holds GPS position extremely well, however with the HQ 10/4.7 slow fly props, I have a differential in throttle position between loiter and stab modes, that I can adjust out when I get around to it. Not enough to bother me, just something I noticed, going to the larger props. I sure do like the ability to be able to tweak many, many things, as opposed to some other controllers. Still have some HQ 10/4.5 and 4.7 multirotor props to play with. A bit different design than the slow flyers. I'm having fun. Experimentation continues!o_O

Old Man

APC 10-4.7's work out pretty well if they will fit.

The throttle position delta between Stab and Loiter is usually induced by weight. In Stab the throttle position is whatever it takes to do the job. Using hover as a reference, if carrying a little too much weight the throttle position could be 50%-60%-70% or more depending on how heavy the copter is. In Loiter the system is programmed so that a 50% stick position is recognized as "hover" but the system is actually using more than 50% throttle with a heavy aircraft to get the job done. So when you flip out of Loiter to Stab the copter suddenly drops and you have to increase throttle in Stab.

I've added a few things to my X-8 making it heavier and have learned to anticipate the extra throttle needed if leaving a Loiter or Alt Hold mode for a no hold mode. I have a Vector in a hex where just the opposite is happening since the copter is sort of light for the power it has. Going into a hold mode causes the power to come back a little with the stick not moving from a 50% position.

Really glad to see you're having fun. A complete reversal from the beginning:)

cootertwo

Hey Old Man, yup, mine is the opposite, with the 10/4.7's When I come out of loiter, she'll increase altitude pretty quickly. Whenever I get done testing, and settle on a particular prop, I think the difference between loiter and stab can be adjusted out, in Mission Planner.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Hey guys, Vu Tran posted this on Facebook a couple days ago. I thought I would repost it here.

For those customers who ordered in March and April and experienced order delays. This bitter sweet post is for you.

Sweet because I'm 1000000% appreciative of the amazing, supportive people that have tried to help their fellow flyers and new comers while we go through some poorly executed system implementations. It's been truly humbling to see all the faith you guys have in us and support for us.

But it's bitter because I'm very embarrassed to have put so many customers through what they've gone through. There's nothing that I can say except we executed poorly, and for that I'm sorry.

I know that I'm lucky to work for a company that brings so much joy to people. We're not selling watches, or computers, or utilitarian things. We sell joy. The chance to be free as a bird. The reason why my team and I put so much care in what we do is because we know when someone decides to put their hard earned money with us, that they're genuinely excited about what they're getting. That is a responsibility we do not take lightly. We know that when we don't execute well, we deny people of that joy.

We put some people through a lot of angst and turmoil. Turning excitement to bewilderment, and then to anger. We violated that responsibility and I'm truly sorry for that. We deserve the backlash we got. Honestly, I think everyone was pretty reasonable. We wore their patience thin. I don't blame them for flaming. There is only so many times that you'll let someone break their commitments to you before you put away the niceties. Colin mentioned to us in a meeting last week, "There's a difference between superhuman effort and superhuman results." And he's right. No one pays for effort, you can only change the world with results. We fell short. My team and I fell short.

But I want everyone here to know that we are still committed to you. The 3DR that you all know and love has not gone anywhere. Solo hasn't changed us. No one product will ever change who we are.

Our organizations and systems have become more complex as we grow, but our values are still simple.
1) Have the most innovative products
2) Treat our resellers with respect and help them be successful
3) Be there for our customers like no one else has

From the bottom of my heart, I'm honored to be here with you all. Thank you for allowing me to serve you, and thank you for spending your most important resource with us, your time.

Old Man

Thanks Rob, that's quite a statement coming from corporate management levels. We both know corporate players are loathe to admitting mistakes or failures, instead generally phrasing any comments to completely avoid blame and responsibility while remaining non committal.

That was an extraordinary message indeed.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Yeah, very true. Last time I wrote something like that in a corporation, just internally, but I said "This was my fault. I will make sure it doesn't happen again."

A week later I was fired. The issue wasn't even a big deal at all.

Last time I'll ever do that. Weasel words and double-speak it is from now on then.