2nd Level voltage protection

Dewster

Well... Just had my Y6 fall out of the sky when it hit DJI's 2nd voltage protection. My lipos were old and I've been tracking shorter and shorter flight times.

Does anyone think that DJI's 2nd level voltage protection is a little too aggressive in reduction of power? I would rather have damaged lipos vs. having my craft drop out of the sky.

it reduced power so much that I didn't have control of my Y6. In a panic I tried to hit manual, but instead flipped the Return to Home Switch which locked out all control and continued its descent.

Damage to my craft was relatively minor, especially when I compared it to the loss of a prop in flight:

Aerocraft landing gear - destroyed, but absorbed the majority of the impact.

Graupner props- four out of six broke or compromised from tilting over after impact.

Everything else was protected by zip ties, Xaircraft cover, and DJI F550 frame.

Last edited by a moderator:

I agree, the drop was a bit drastic. I had my throttle up to the top during the drops in my video.. it was a bit colder then I thought and my batteries notice it much more. At time, I did not know what it was. Me being very cautious, decided to keep it low so I can watch it and hear it before launching the real flight. I was lucky to have sense the slushly control right as it started. with 4 sets of batteries, I did not figure out it was the 2nd LV till I posted here.. then some suggested batteries and I put the OSD on it and it was hitting the LV. Tell you, to an un experience pilot like me, it would have taking me longer to figure this out without this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dewster

Here's the video:

http://youtu.be/hGZWIQRBVE8

i had to disassemble my Y6 to remove the landing gear. One of the antenna on my futaba receiver was sheared by a Graupner prop. I put all of my electronics on my DJI F450 frame to test for reliability after the crash. My WKM case was partially separated. I didn't notice it at first, but on a test flight my quad did an uncommanded climb. I had to drastically cut power to bring it down. I was hoping that i wouldnt have fly away that i read about on this forum. I just snapped everything back. I still need a test flight to see if it all works.

I'll order another Aeroxcraft landing gear, unless I find something better.