1st Naza - altitude not holding (?)

Rich Kleinhenz

Hi,
I just set up my first Naza on a new build, an F550 with 310. I need some clarification. When I start in GPS mode, and let go of the sticks and put throttle in center, should it stay in position as well as hold altitude? I find mine slowly drifting down. I did sticks calibration, compass calibration, and have been trying to set gains. I have gains set to 200, 200, 160, 140, 100, 100. If I raise the attitude gains I definitely get oscillations so I am comfortable with the last 2 values. I set them by starting from 100, 100, 80, 70 and putting one at a time on a slider. I am a bit surprised with the 1st 4 values that they'd be so high, and I see no sign of oscillations. But then I find that it is sinking and thought I should figure that out first.

I am using a Taranis+. I suspect I don't have the throttle perfectly at mid point. How critical is that? Is there a built-in guardband? Is there some deadband I need to set somewhere?

Appreciate any help!

Rich

Rich Kleinhenz

To answer my own question (at least in part): the altitude appears top be holding after all. I did the first tests at an altitude of maybe 8-10'. After it descended 2 or 3 feet I called it quits. Turns out if I waited a bit longer it would rise again. Guess I expected more vertical stability than it can deliver. I will try raising the vertical gain and see if that increases vertical stability.

I also saw in the assistant that the throttle center has a bit of guardband around it, the indicator turns green when the throttle is centered plus a bit up or down. I will need to find the exact values and program some sort of voice announcement on my Taranis

Did some more testing today (not that part) and verified that failsafe RTL works. It was pretty windy today and the lateral stability was pretty darn good! I don't think the roll/pitch gains are too high. Makes me want to try higher yet, as well as raining the vertical gain. But I will wait till I have my final batteries, I was using some 3,200-3S and will end up with heavier 10,000-4S as well as adding LG and camera gimbal

Rich

Paul-H

Do you have a bit of foam over the Barometer, I have read that it is necessary with these flight controllers because the prop wash disturbs the air the Barometer reads

Rich Kleinhenz

Do you have a bit of foam over the Barometer, I have read that it is necessary with these flight controllers because the prop wash disturbs the air the Barometer reads
That applies only to FCs on open boards not enclosed units like the Naza. Anyway, it seems like it's working fine