10kg Heavy lifter

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
OMG, that thing is huge! I thought mine was heavy at 4kg! Just a bit confused by your payload??

Regards,

Gunter.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jes1111

14x10 props? Theory says a definite "NO" on that - pitch ratio greater than 50% (i.e. 14x7) will result in blade stall at hover.

mitmit

14x10 props? Theory says a definite "NO" on that - pitch ratio greater than 50% (i.e. 14x7) will result in blade stall at hover.
and practice says even more definite no) for max efficiency you need to increase prop SIZE and DECREASE pitch. increasing pitch plays only good for lower props in coaxial schemes, where airflow is already speeded up by the top prop.

mitmit

looks impressive. now try it with smtng like xoar 16/4 (although I doubt they will fit Sj frame) and 6s and you will see difference. for such huge things I would even go to 8s and 300-350kv motors..

Last edited by a moderator:

Imothep

Interesting...

... I'm just swell thinking about the right engines for a SkyJib 8, want to run it at 5s with Hercules boards. The Axi 2826/12 seems to be to weak for heavy duty applications, the 4120/20 get's to heavy. Both Axis seem to be a little bit inefficient.

The Orbit 15-20 look promising, but you have to wait for 8 weeks to get them and the are quite expensive. Any suggestions?

krleas

FPV Freak
2826 are more then enough. U will have cca 7kg complete with batteries.
Thats 0,875 kg thrust per motor.

Imothep

Well, I would like to get near 3kg of thrust with 15x4 props. Batteries will be 2x 8000 5s. I'm not sure if I will be happy with the 2826, but there seems to be a lack of motors in this particular power range.

DennyR

One does have to ask the question of Why. A conventional helli 800 size electric. wins hands down on efficiency. and cost.

40 min. flight easily achieved with a 5D. plus a good camera mount, telemetry etc. The proven heavy lift workhorses of the industry

More evolution in the design and reliable. The more rotors you have the less the lift efficiency, Cast in Stone and you can't change it.

But probably not so much fun to build but you can also have Ace one.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
... probably not so much fun to build ...

Have to agree with most of that, except for the above. Personally, building and working on multi-rotors annoys the hell out of me and flying them is a joyless experience.

However, as a tool for AP one cannot help but appreciate the inherent design advantages that enable more easily achieved level-horizon stability, relatively stress-free 'automatic flight' and of course, the reduced maintenance schedule is also wonderful.

Broadly speaking, single rotor heli's still give me a buzz but AP can be a challenge, whereas these MR's leave me cold but AP is a breeze.

DennyR

Having gone full circle from massive Oktos with many confs. that could lift more than 20 kilos. the Penny finally dropped and MR's do have a place. For me they have to be small and transportable. float on water and have full prop. protection. Have same stability in the wind as in the calm. And be able to operate as a one man show. Fortunately cameras are also set to get better and smaller so it all comes together nicely.
My 2 cents worth.

matwelli

Having gone full circle from massive Oktos with many confs. that could lift more than 20 kilos. the Penny finally dropped and MR's do have a place. For me they have to be small and transportable. float on water and have full prop. protection. Have same stability in the wind as in the calm. And be able to operate as a one man show. Fortunately cameras are also set to get better and smaller so it all comes together nicely.
My 2 cents worth.
I'm coming around to the same idea, my only multi at this stage is a 1.3 kg quad, and I can fly that anywhere without concern. With a 5kg octo, every flight had a pucker factor, and always aware of what could happen when that 5 kg decides to come down unplanne

The new go-pro2 looks good, and won't be long until there are a bunch of sub 200 gram cameras with decent quality pics

DennyR

I'm coming around to the same idea, my only multi at this stage is a 1.3 kg quad, and I can fly that anywhere without concern. With a 5kg octo, every flight had a pucker factor, and always aware of what could happen when that 5 kg decides to come down unplanne

The new go-pro2 looks good, and won't be long until there are a bunch of sub 200 gram cameras with decent quality pics

Mat
That's where the smart money is. Doubt that the retailers would want to hear this, OKTO's are big business. The bigger, the more money they make. Weight is the enemy. Weight ratio to size is where it is at. IMHO

Vortex

Great build thread.....I just got given a link to it.

What props did you finally settle with as being the best??

Thanks,

Lance