10"x5" Xoar props group purchase

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I spoke to CJ from Bob's Hobby Center in Orlando, FL to see if they carry the LH and RH rotation wood props that are listed on the Xoar website. I'm trying to find a higher quality and more stout replacement for the stock props that came with my MK.
The standard right hand rotation props are easy enough to get but the left hand props must be special ordered. A minimum order of 15 is required and you have to pay a $150 set-up fee for them to make the props.
If enough people are interested I'd be willing to organize an order so we can spread out the set-up fee over a larger order. The props I'm talking about are the PJA and PJA-P in size 10x5.
Let me know if anyone's interested.
Regards,
Bart

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I'd be a bit wary of using props that need to be made to order unless buying plenty of spares to have on hand for the eventual crash and resulting breakage. I think for the additional cost it may be easier and just as cost effective to use Graupners. Easy for me to say since I have about 2 dozen of them on hand...

Ken

P.S. what kind of cost per prop are we talking about here?

Bartman

ken,
i'm not sure. the normal rotation xoars are under $5.00 a piece so i'd hope to get the LH props for a buck or two more including the set-up fee.
i've got the graupner e-props on order so i'll see how i like them when they get here. i like the idea of wood props though and if we can cover a big enough order we can all buy extras.
i tried explaining to CJ that the multi-copters are catching on and he should stock them anyway but he isn't getting enough calls to have an interest. we'll see what happens.
bart

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I think you'll really like the Graupners, even more if you've flown with those awful EPP that come in the kit. Let's see what the demand is and the cost breakdown, wood props do look kinda neat but they'd have to have some really compelling advantage to make we switch comepletely away from the Graupners.

Ken

Bartman

don't quote me on this but wood is a natural vibration absorbing material so i'd think some of the high freq. airframe buzz would be diminished. i also suspect they'd be more rigid and so maybe give the FC better control authority.
we'll see. just thinking out loud in case anyone is interested. i'm grounded until the new props come so i may get back to work on Son-of-Okto, my dual-pac quad i'm going to build.
bart

Hi,

I recently ordered some 13x6.5 precision pair (clockwise/counter cloxkwise) from XOAR. I didn't have to pay this 150$ tax. They ask this tax for special order: if you order propellers they don't have, they need to draw it, it's time consuming, more work => 150$ tax.
Lots of references are available in CW and CCW.
As my shop is new, I don't have an extensive budget that's why I choose only one reference for props :)
These props will be available within a few days (I will post a newsletter about it).

About these props: For heavy duty you must have strong props that will not bend under the effort, Xoar props seems very stiff, they sound loud (indication of lower frequency than APC for example) while flying with heavy payload (3.3kg of paypload for a total weight of 5.8kg).
I have to make some tests about ithese props to evaluate it respect to graupner and APC (especialy in terms of vibrations, balance, etc)

Best regards,
Cédric

Bartman

I've been told I can go ahead and order LH Xoar props. I'm trying to confirm that the 10x5 size is available and what the cost will be. I'm trying to get the 10x5 PJA and PJA-P props.
Reply here or PM me if you're interested.
Bart

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Bart

What advantages do you see in wooden props? Lack of flex / vibration caused by variable flex between blades?

Dave

Bartman

Hi Droider,
Wood is a natural vibration absorbing material so maybe they'll have different enough vibration qualities to help improve AP quality. I'm also hoping they'll be stronger without much of a weight penalty over the plastic props that are available. My Okto is carrying an MKTR mount and Canon T2i along with two 4s 5000mah battery packs and a video Tx with its own battery. With the weight I'm flying I'd like to get the strongest props I can. I'm not sure what to expect from the new props but I thought they're worth a try. If I end up being busy doing AP work this summer I'd like to know I've got the best components possible.
We shall see.
Bart

baker55

Am I hearing that the APC 12x3.8sf my AD6 hex came with should be replaced? and by the way how do you tell which is clockwise and anti clockwise? Shaun

Bartman

shaun,
welcome to the site!!!
prop rotation is determined as if you're looking at them rotating from the cockpit so a left hand prop is rotating counter-clockwise, RH clockwise.
the APC's are good props. the only comments i've seen said the plastic is slightly brittle and they can tend to snap easily in cold weather so don't hit anything :) . other than that you should expect good performance from them. the original props that came with my MK weere crap so i set out to find a replacement.
again, welcome!
bart

Bartman

the p in "sfp" is probably the pusher prop or left hand rotation prop. if you sit the prop on the table and the high side of the far blade is on the right, it's a LH prop.
hope that helps.
bart

Hi,
I have had several discussion with XOAR employees, if you want to order props, ask for TRACTOR clockwise and counter clockwise.
TRACTOR and PUSHER is just the direction of the mounting of the prop on the motor: if you have you propeller in front of a plane it's a TRACTOR, the intrados is on the motor side. if you have the prop behind your plane it's a PUSHER and you have the extrados on the motor side.

Bartman

i believe in a real plane (or a model plane for that matter) the front and rear engines are just two normal engines with one in front and one in the back (think of a Cessna 337, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cessna_337), with both made to turn clockwise. the front prop is easy enough to figure out, it's a right-handed (RH) prop. the rear engine, which appear to turn counterclockwise when viewed from the rear of the plane looking forward, would have to have a prop that still makes rearward thrust but while turning in the opposite direction as the front prop. does that make sense? what i'm trying to say is that Xoar's pusher props should be the same as what you are calling tractor-counter-clockwise which is why i ordered their PJA and PJA-P props.