Hoverfly alt hold

kloner

Aerial DP
so as a new user and the instructions kinda being bland in this area, can somebody explain to me the whole altitude hold bit. when setting the gain what have you guys seen to low? too high?

is it a flat out lock on the altitude or is it dynamic to the throttle? up throttle increase alt, lower throttle, drop alt? want a better idea than i've read before flipping it on

Aviator

so as a new user and the instructions kinda being bland in this area, can somebody explain to me the whole altitude hold bit. when setting the gain what have you guys seen to low? too high?

is it a flat out lock on the altitude or is it dynamic to the throttle? up throttle increase alt, lower throttle, drop alt? want a better idea than i've read before flipping it on

What flight controller?

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
It is not like DJI at ALL. It locks the alt, or at least tries, so if you move the throttle it wont do anything. At least on my firmware. I wish they would make it like DJI where it is always active, or at least when it is active it allows constant override of throttle past a certain range. As for gains, I wondered the same thing, the manual is not clear at all but I think if you put it in a hover and just play with the gains when it is active you will find the answer.

ghaynes

Kloner. I have it set to 17, CS8 copter, on my MX-20, forget what it actually shows in the software. Turn it on and don't increase/decrease throttle and it holds. I forget whether a throttle re-position changes it but I think it does. I did put a piece a piece of foam over the pressure sensor. Made a world of difference.

kloner

Aerial DP
had the foam over the sensor,,,,,,, and lemme tell ya. That's the devil switch. ate my model......... flipped the switch, it did it's bitchen drop like it been in my yard, except this time i knew better so went out in the open. when i hit the throttle, it went apecrap, flipped up 45 degrees and i thought it was trying to leave, but now watching the tape, it did a death spiral. Fancy stuff there

Gonna have to disable it somehow so it can't get touched again, sheesh. nice sounding feature but if it's gonna be that kinda of party, i'm pissin in the mashed potatoes

Last edited by a moderator:

Stacky

Man that sucks, have you checked in the software client that the AH sensor is ok?. I have 2 boards and both of them work perfectly with AH.

kloner

Aerial DP
yea, sits totaly still, move the model a foot and it'd register, move it 5 feet it'd peg at the top, down to ground, went back down......

it actualy got off pretty easily. ate a hero3 case,,,,, landed straight on it. smoked a set of batteries and countless motors, props, but the boards alright, video gear checks out, better luck next time

Stacky

Hate that. I avoided using AH for ages and its only been in the last 3 months I had been trying it. Ive been lucky with no issues. I hate those unexplained glitches. My main Hexa had been running perfectly for 6 months without a single problem and it gets flown a lot then out of the blue my yaw control goes weird. I check everything. reprogram the esc's etc but it still wont fly right. I changed radio rx and it then is back to flying well but the rx I took out of it flies nicely in another smaller Hexa. So I am none the wiser.

Razzil

That's what exactly happened to me about a year ago. As soon as I got home ... I went out and purchased the Naza and Optos.
Thankfully when it happened to me, I flicked the switch back, recovered and only managed to snap my landing gear.
Scary feeling ... and in my opinion, isn't safe to be flying over things when you can't trust it.
I loved the Hoverfly, but hated that feeling. Haven't had that feeling once on the Naza.
That being said, I'm soon to have my Hoverfly Hex up and running and have another stab at it.

Danub

Gonna have to disable it somehow so it can't get touched again, sheesh. nice sounding feature but if it's gonna be that kinda of party, i'm pissin in the mashed potatoes
ACK!!! sorry to hear bout that . . . .that xy8 was flyin nice!!

Uhh. . . .I'm gonna pass on the potatoes, Thanks ;)

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
the foam has to be open-cell so that changes in air pressure can be picked up through the foam. if you can't blow air through the foam, it's the wrong foam.

bart

yea, sits totaly still, move the model a foot and it'd register, move it 5 feet it'd peg at the top, down to ground, went back down......

it actualy got off pretty easily. ate a hero3 case,,,,, landed straight on it. smoked a set of batteries and countless motors, props, but the boards alright, video gear checks out, better luck next time

Kloner, I think you are ready for the real stuff! You must try the DJI Wookong MC. Never had one so far but only heard good comments from experienced guys. With all the efforts and time you put in this endeavor, you deserve a professionnal/commercial FC. What do ya think?

kloner

Aerial DP
I caught the mashed potatoes comment - Beastie Boys album?

hahaha, atta boy...... i didn't try the real saying, if i'd have known it was gonna be this kinda party, i'd have stuck my richard in the mashed potatoes........

Last edited by a moderator:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I disabled my AH right after getting my arm cut up from not knowing how the AH worked. I see no need for it and feel it is more of a hazard than tool. I flew my heli today with pretty good alt hold, it's called throttle curve and skill.