my name is kamakazi...im a newbie and i dont know crap

kamakazi

just looking to soak up as much info as possible from those of you most gracious enough to share. i have an ambitious build in mind and want to make sure im not going to do anything stupid that my wallet wont forgive me for later. i just want to thank everyone in advance for any advice you may give.

kamakazi

Well if ive come to the right place then lets just hop to it then. first i guess a litlle background is in order. i have literally ZERO experience with anything remote control (past a television set and a garage door opener) I also have never flown, driven or piloted anything remote controlled........with that being said i am smart enough to do anything I have ever set my mind to and im a pretty handy person when it comes to mechanics. so my first question is: i want to run more than one battery for an xaircraft x650 coaxial HIGHLY CUSTOM. Im doing away with the factory props, motors, motor mounts, esc's and opting for somethin with ALOT more bite to it. can anyone tell me how to do this

Maverick

Welcome aboard kamakazi. Plenty of info on here - more than I can absorb sometimes! My first bit of advice to you is, get yourself a fairly decent second hand Radio Tx, that you can use with whatever you decide to build, and use it in conjunction with a decent simulator, to get the hang of the sticks and orientation. I used "Phoenix RC". This way, all your simulated crashes won't cost you a penny!

Bowley

Hi Kamakazi, IMO the X650 wont make a suitable frame for something with more bite, if by this, you mean more powerfull. The centre plates are quite small and wil not accomodate too much.
I assume you want to carry a substantial payload. better to use a suitable frame and mounting arrangement.
I have my X650 V8 running on Hoverfly Pro with Turnigy 12A ESC's and stock XA Motors/Props. I opted to use XA Motors and props as I have found them to be more than good enough and I had much less vibration from them than I got when using APC's.
dont forget the X650 (actually a 550) is really not suitable for props over 10". but on a craft of that size you should not need any more than that especially if you are using 8 of them. if you do away with your motor mounts (in favour of alternatives I presume), then you might not be able to fit even 10" props on as your booms will be very short.
What FC do you plan to use?
What do you want to do with it is the first question though?

kloner

Aerial DP
I wouldn't try that in a million years. you need a sim and a cheap little something multi rotor. phantom, mcx, whatever. This can be like music where you may just pick up on orientation or you might never totaly get it. it's a long road to reach where it sounds like you wanna start which is an option with a big enough wallet but a really bad way to go. Your gonna burn out before you can fly if crashes are hundreds of dollars a whirl

kamakazi

mavrick i already purchased a walkera devention devo 12s and then upgraded the firmware and libraries so its 100 percent up to date. and i like tons of info. already looking at getting a flight simulator to keep the crashes to a minimum

kamakazi

kloner, trust me when i say i pick up on things VERY quickly. my nickname is kamakazi for a reason. if i need or want to do something....i do my research plan out every possible contengency BEFORE i get started and i do WHATEVER IT TAKES to meet my goals.....lets just say the budget for this build is alot more than most people would feel comfortable spending but its been budgeted. Ive been doing my homework for a couple month

Maverick

Well then, you're on the right track. Baby steps. Like the 'ol say in' goes, "There are no short cuts to any place worth goin'..." After you're comfortable with the sim, try a cheap RTF quad. They are generally harder to control, so if you can manage that, you're ready for a more advanced one.

Maverick

kloner, trust me when i say i pick up on things VERY quickly. my nickname is kamakazi for a reason. if i need or want to do something....i do my research plan out every possible contengency BEFORE i get started and i do WHATEVER IT TAKES to meet my goals.....lets just say the budget for this build is alot more than most people would feel comfortable spending but its been budgeted. Ive been doing my homework for a couple month

You should take heed of kloner's advice. He's a massive contributor to this forum, and knows what he's talking about. Read all his posts and look at his videos, and you'll understand what I'm talking about. Like I said, "baby steps" , even if you did name yourself, "kamakazi".

kamakazi

Bowley, thank you for you input. I had considered the way the x650 v8's frame is built to have a couple of weak points which have been re-engineered to remedy. i am planning on keeping the factory flight controller because its suitable for what it does. the boom arms have been lengthened just enough toaccomodate the 15" carbon fiber uppers and 14 inch lower props the, i just got the 30 amp esc's & motors which are specially built for the wide paddle type 15" props used on the draganflyer x8. im using the xaircraft frame because of its small size which is needed for its purpose . i need it to be small for surveillance purposes

kamakazi

please dont get me wron mavrick... im not in any way stating kloner is wrong. he's 100 percent right. that would be the normal process to do things...BUT i have time constraints that dont give me the liberty or option for such luxuries. i have a couple of months to pull this off and have never missed a deadline so im gonna have to wing it. my colleagues gave me the name kamakazi because i go to some pretty wild extremes to get a job done.

Bowley

surveilance? just go light small and maximise flight time. The coax V8 is well known to be less efficient than the flat X4.
You may have compatability problems with the XA FC. If you do survielance you will needing a good GPS Pos'n hold. DJI is the only option there really.

Bowley

You should put the bigger props on the bottom.
How did you lengthen your booms by the way?

If you have a good budget and time constraints, get someone who really knows what they are doing to build it, talk over what you need, it will save you in the long run and it will work

kamakazi

theres nothing id rather do then go small and light and that was actually my first suggestions. but there is a 6000 lumen floodlight needed, a flir tau 640, and then of course the hd daylight camera with zoom capability.... i was doin the math in my head thinking holy crap why dont you just by a huey