Woo Kong RTH - Need Your Support

Hi friends - I need your assistance, expertise and assurance that how I have my quad set up will provide the desired results pertaining to the RTH mode. I am scared to death to flip the switch and test it... I completed the Flame Wheel 450 quad and have conducted several succcessful flights. She hovers, climbs and flies very stable and takes excellent video from the Go-Pro mounted underneath. I am using the Woo Kong FS unit with a Spektrum DX-7 transmitter.

When connected to the "On Line" Woo Kong Assistant all values react properly. I can toggle from ATTI to GPS to FAIL SAFE via the three way switch on the transmitter. I had to eliminate the M mode on the switch which was cool since I never used it anyways. Each flight mode is displayed on the WK Assistant when the switch position is changed. If I turn off the transmitter the WK assistant shows it going into FAIL SAFE mode and adjusts the throttle to just below 50%. All other flight controls remain centered.

Here's my concern: Is "Fail Safe" actually RTH mode with an active signal from the transmitter? At this time when I flip the three way switch to the RTH position, the craft goes into FAIL SAFE mode but does NOT affect the throttle. If I shut off the transmitter the craft goes into FAIL SAFE and adjust the throttle to 50% (or just below). All other flight controls remain centered. Does this sound right ??

And finally, lets say I climb up 50-60 feet in GPS mode (which should give me ATTI & GPS modes for a stable hover) then flip the three way to FAIL SAFE / RTH, if the quad goes nutts can I recover and regain stick control by switching back to GPS mode hopefully before impact????

Thanks for reading this and helping me - I am sure you can feel my apprehension to flip the dreaded switch but just cant wait to see her fly home and land.. I gladly welcome any/all advice you guys may share with me... I will report back after I get some posts....

VINHEX

Hi, Failsafe RTH with loose of signal should set throttle speed as no signal is being reached to control throttle.

If you flick the failsafe switch I would assume you are already at a good throttle position to keep it up in the air.

IF you turn off your controller and the failsafe kicks in, turn back on the transmitter and select ATT mode and this will cancel the GPS return to home.

If you select the failsafe switch, then clicking out should take this back to GPS, if not do above. I'VE NOT TESTED THIS part..

I'm sure people have fully tested this on all fronts.. Messages will follow.

Vin
DJI F550
DJI WKM
DJI DataLink 2.4Ghz
3s 3300
3s 5000
Aeroxcraft Landing Gear
Graupner 10x5 e-Props
Spektrum DX8
AR8000 Receiver
TM1000

Good information - thank you.. Just hope I can keep all this right and stay calm if she drops like a rock.. Anyone else have any input??

Dewster

RTH once activate will fly nose in towards home position. It will continue the automated sequence even if you turn off the RTH switch. To regain control: make sure your throttle is at mid point. Then change flight modes. I switch from GPS to Attitude and then back to GPS. I never fly in Manual mode. For some reason it's always nerve racking but it works as advertised. Most important: Make sure your craft records home position before launching it.

OK - my three way switch is set up as ATTi / GPS and Fail Safe. I assume if I flip the switch to Fail Safe with the transmitter on this is known as RTH. Correct? And if I were to shut off the transmitter (full loss of signal) it would go into a Fail Safe mode and use my pre-set throttle point. So if I hit the RTH (AKA Fail Safe with signal) and somethings goes weird, I can flip back to Atti mode as long as my throttle is 50% or above. Correct ? And finally, what is "toilet bowling"? I've heard the term before but not sure what is discribes..

Dewster

OK - my three way switch is set up as ATTi / GPS and Fail Safe. I assume if I flip the switch to Fail Safe with the transmitter on this is known as RTH. Correct? And if I were to shut off the transmitter (full loss of signal) it would go into a Fail Safe mode and use my pre-set throttle point. So if I hit the RTH (AKA Fail Safe with signal) and somethings goes weird, I can flip back to Atti mode as long as my throttle is 50% or above. Correct ? And finally, what is "toilet bowling"? I've heard the term before but not sure what is discribes..

??? I have my 3 way flight mode switch set to: GPS, Atti, Manual. My RTH switch is a two position switch (off/on), my other 3 way switch is: Off, Intelligent orientation control, and Point of Interest.

Be careful on how you program your functions on your controller. I think the RTH is supposed to be a off/on switch.

The toilet bowl effect is when your craft should be holding in one spot, but instead circles in the air vs. remaining in one spot. You can check the magnetic declination for your area and adjust which direction the arrow on the GPS compass points if you have that unwanted issue.

I keep my throttle at 50% when I retake control of the craft. Some transmitters provide an audible warning if you turn it off and then on with the throttle position above zero.

I am running the Spektrum DX-7 and obviously need help setting up switches and functions. I do not use, nor like, the "manual" position but can easily set the switch up to give me those three again. I have no clue on setting up one switch for RTH - I assume I would assign that switch to my Aux 2 channel so it shuts off signal to the "U" channel right ?? Would that give me a FAIL SAFE condition to come home? I do not have any more three way switches for IOC.

Tahoe Ed

Are you sure you are using a WKM, not a Naza with GPS? With the WKM, the RTH is set up in Assistant with a two position switch verses with the Naza with GPS which requires that you either use preset failsafe in your receiver and turn off your tx or set up a mix with another channel to move your mode switch to failsafe. Just trying to make sure that we are all talking about the same thing.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Setup the three position switch for manual, atti, and GPS. To trigger failsafe you need to use a different switch in a program mix with the channel the 3 position switch is on. The mix will add or subtract an amount of travel from the three position switch channel and put the flight controller into failsafe mode effectively giving you the option of triggering failsafe by simply turning on the switch used in the mix. The failsafe switch does not have to be actually connected to anything on the receiver, it just needs to be assigned to a channel in the transmitter so it can be mixed with the channel the three position switch is on to create the failsafe mode.

I use a JR 11X radio so I'd have to dig out my old DX7 to figure out the exact steps tp create the mix, hopefully someone else using a DX7 can fill in the blanks there.

Ken

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Are you sure you are using a WKM, not a Naza with GPS? With the WKM, the RTH is set up in Assistant with a two position switch verses with the Naza with GPS which requires that you either use preset failsafe in your receiver and turn off your tx or set up a mix with another channel to move your mode switch to failsafe. Just trying to make sure that we are all talking about the same thing.

???... I have it setup identically on both my WKM and Naza, a three position switch I use for manual, atti, and GPS that I mix with a two position switch to trigger failsafe, I don't see any other way to do it with a WKM if you use all three flight modes on a switch unless they changed something in the later versions of firmware, I'm still using old reliable 5.02 or somthing close to that...

Ken

Tahoe Ed

???... I have it setup identically on both my WKM and Naza, a three position switch I use for manual, atti, and GPS that I mix with a two position switch to trigger failsafe, I don't see any other way to do it with a WKM if you use all three flight modes on a switch unless they changed something in the later versions of firmware, I'm still using old reliable 5.02 or somthing close to that...

Ken

5.14 has a dedicated RTH that can be assigned to a two position switch.

I read your post many times - it makes good sense and am sure your right - hate to admit it, but I think I am over my head with this transmitter programming. I can easily get the three way switch back to the three positions, Manual, Atti and GPS. Mixing is where I get lost. I just sent a message to my local flying field president to see if he knows anyone local here in Vegas that I can meet with and get some help. Oh and yes, this is the Woo Kong system. Here's my last odd issue. On the transmitter it has Aux 2 and Gear switches. On the receiver it has Gear, Aux 1 and Aux 2. Where the hell did Aux 1 switch go???? Ya see - lost....