FPV Antenna ?

Phil550

What should I use to power the 5.8g 200mw TX - 2S or 3S lipo?
I bought some cloverleaf antenna's but the signal appears to drop out quickly and often - any suggestions?

kloner

Aerial DP
2s is best if it's immersion,,,,, otherwise i have no idea

Show us a picture of how the stuff is laid out on the mr

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Just to make sure, because this was my problem, are you using a monitor? Make absolutely sure that your monitor shows static! I was using a lilliput and couldnt imagine the signal became weak enough over 10' to turn the monitor blue. But that was exactly what happened. I switched to a cheapo chinese monitor that showed all static and voila! everything worked and went farther than I could imagine.

Phil550

I am using a cheap(ish) Chinese 7" monitor, but I've never seen any static. It seems to power off after anything between 15 and 60 secs - if you push the power button immediately the picture comes back. This doesn't seem to apply if I set everything up indoors, with about 6ft between the TX and TX antennas.
I'll post some photos of the setup tomorrow.

Tomstoy2

Excellent point, IrisAerial!

Phil, this really sounds like he describes!
I use a Hailer monitor myself, ( mostly with goggles, though ), and is shows static just fine. Even using a 3 wire cloverleaf on the reciever as well as the tx I'm able to have glitch free up to 1/3rd mile out. Haven't found the limit yet with a skewer on the receiver.

cpmboy

What should I use to power the 5.8g 200mw TX - 2S or 3S lipo?
I bought some cloverleaf antenna's but the signal appears to drop out quickly and often - any suggestions?
friends at dronevision.com suggest 3s batt. A friend of mine use 3s 500mah on his 5.8 500mw tx...he gets ~50 minutes of supply

kloner

Aerial DP
just so you guys don't blow this stuff up, theres 3 or 4 brands making this stuff and some need 5v, some need 12v, check your directions. Just cause they didn't have a book in the box don't mean theres no instructions, there usually on the page you bought it at.

Phil550

Attachments

• F550A.jpg
    F550A.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 327
  • F550B.jpg
    F550B.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 247

Tomstoy2

I do have a concern about the antenna tubing. Looks really close to the prop. If it can flex and bend into the path then That isn't good.
Noticing that you do have a rigid landing gear. Placing the tx on it and dropping the antenna down would be desirable, really.

Other than that, it looks pretty good!

Attachments

• P7150005.jpg
    P7150005.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 258
Last edited by a moderator:

Phil550

Thanks Tomstoy2 - I hadn't thought of that....
The lipo is mounted on top of a plate near the top of the landing gear so I can put the tx and antenna underneath it.
I apologise if this is a stupid question but if the tx antenna is upside down, does the rx antenna have to be the same or do they just have to be in the same plane i.e. horizontal?

guy1a

Thanks Tomstoy2 - I hadn't thought of that....
The lipo is mounted on top of a plate near the top of the landing gear so I can put the tx and antenna underneath it.
I apologise if this is a stupid question but if the tx antenna is upside down, does the rx antenna have to be the same or do they just have to be in the same plane i.e. horizontal?

The antennas should be in the same plane.
No matter for the top or bottom location.

Polarisation is important.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

kloner

Aerial DP
linear are horizontal or vertical. can be one up, one down,,,,, both up, both down

circular have a null out the top and bottom,,,,,,,,,, as long as it's not pointed ant the rx or vice versa your fine,,,, thats like bluebeam to bluebeam. they can be pointed any old way though, no matters as long as not at each other. it's a pretty small area, is hardly noticeable, it'll just flash as it goes through it