FPV Antenna ?

Phil550

Hi,

I'm new to this world of multirotors (and RC as well..) and have a DJI 550 / DX8 setup.
I've just received the 5.8g 200mw fpv set (Hextronic / Hobbyking) and noticed that both antennas are the same size.
I've watched several videos that say they should be different with the bigger one going on the receiver....is this right?

Cheers

Phil

Tomstoy2

These is however quite the difference in antenna types!

If you are using the black dipole antenna, like what you use on your flight transmitter, your range is going to be extremely limited!!!

There has been quite the evolution in antenna design's this year, all because of the insurgence in fpv.
What is most common now it what we call cloverleaf antenna's. Look up IBCrazy.
These are extremely good. With my 200mw vtx I have pushed out to 1/3rd mile with zero drop outs! The price is cheap.

As little as last year, the drive was to push out more transmission power, but this can affect the flight reciever and the controller, too. They produce a lot of noise, not to mention heat!
Now the drive is towards better antenna design allowing you to recieve transmission at a much greater range with less power.

Guys like Kloner are invaluable source of information, not to mention a great guy. He runs a uhf system for flight control and a pretty damn nice set up for fpv. He's experimented a hell of a lot and has learned what works and what doesn't.

There is a ton to learn, so take everything in baby steps, gather all info you can and read, read, read, , and don't be afraid to ask.

FPV is about the most fun you can have!

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
when you do it right.....

on the 5.8, the cloverleaf he talks about on your tx and a directional antenna on your rx will make that thing go miles if you tried..... like crosshair or helical design. it makes 5.8 act like a much better signal than folks make it out to be. You kinda have to pick and choose what you get behind still,,,,,, rocks and mountains still fade, houses not so bad

what rc control setup do you have phil?

Phil550

Thanks Tomstoy2 / Kloner.
I've been reading this forum for weeks and have got lots of great info, before deciding on the 550 setup.
I have the standard 550 with Naza and GPS, Graupner 10" props, 4500 3s lipos, Quadframe gimbal / landing gear with Gopro Hero2, Spektrum DX8, AR8000 etc
If there are better antennas, which ones should I get?
I'm off to western isles of Scotland on holiday in 10 days time and would like to get this up and working before then as there is some great scenary there.

kloner

Aerial DP
the "circular wireless" bluebeams are primo,,,, isn't there another fpv shop there? i know one of em in the uk has his stuff

the only crosshairs i know of are in the states ... oos
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_45_49_97&products_id=1132

this combo would be a minumum,,,, it's bluebeam 3 lobe for the craft, 4 lobe skew planar for the rx
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_45_49_97&products_id=1053

then this is a bluebeam and a 12 turn helical.... this is the one that makes it magical
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_45_49_97&products_id=1054

this is a great ibcrazy setup..... that's probably all you'd need with 2.4 rc control
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_45_49_97&products_id=1023
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_45_49_97&products_id=596

you'd want to make sure your getting the right antenna ends though, would need to see the antennas off your equipment, the part that screws on

Tomstoy2

Yes, you will need the adapters! Best net is to call whomever on the phone and talk to them, get it all at once.
After that it's just a matter to screw them on.
The one with 3 wires goes on the tx, theone with 4 on your rx.

Don't get carried away the first few times flying.
First get the feel of your new bird flying line of sight, getting comfortable with her.
After that, then start a few flights using the goggles or monitor, whichever you have, keeping it close in.

Phil550

Thanks again everyone - this is a lot more complicated than I thought!
I'll do some more investigation and check these links out tomorrow - day off work due to an office move !!

DesJardins

I went with the 5.8 GHz Circular Wireless Omni Skew Planars, also ordered the complete FPV package to get everything at once from Readymaderc as my first jump into FPV.

I do have the Helical that matches the Omni from Readymaderc but I'm sure there is no need for it as a beginner

kloner

Aerial DP
skew planar is best on the receiver with the bluebeam on the transmitter..... it's flatter and goes up higher than a bluebeam so if your flying a quad down under 400 feet or whatever, there not really needed. one of the circular polarized problems is they dont work very good high but the way a multi rotor tilts makes it almost a neccesity......

i just remembered the guy with circular wireless in the uk posts here. has a smaller fpv shop.... i bust his balls all the time in here,,,

kloner

Aerial DP
was just looking it over,,, that looks more like a bluebeam shape. i'm sure it's fine if there selling them as sets. I'd do those before i'd do the fans and turbines and such

I'd fly at the river so not alot of interference and the omni package type setup had decent reception, but man, you turn on a crosshair and it went from antenna tv to cable. Crosshairs with a 2.4 rc system wouldn't even need to be aimed, just point it the general direction your gonna fly and your good for miles around, out front it'll act more like a 2.4 system penetration wise

if any of you guys want a home made one, i'm cheap

Last edited by a moderator:

DesJardins

Yea when looking at them together the design is very similar to the blue's!
And coming in a set is a good thing I'm guessing. As soon as its mounted I will have lots of pics, videos and first impressions!

kloner

Aerial DP
i always used them blues,,,, they were bullet proof. Last time was at the river one made it to the floor, took a step and felt it bend as i stepped down and was so pissed. can't just get one that i'm aware of, ah well

cpmboy

howdy, can I hitch this ride?....

well, I hv a Boscam AIO goggle & 200mW vtx otw as I typed this......friends at fpvlr.com recommended me this....
View attachment 6660
5.8 GHZ PinWheel set (SPW)

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 445

Tomstoy2

You should be good to go. With that set up you can expect about 1/4 to 1/2 mile.
I've been out several time to a 1/3rd mile with that set up. Never had one dorp out over flat
ground.
It all depends on the terrain you fly. Hills and such will cause deflections.

You can expect fpv transmission to drop before the Futaba with that.

To up my range I got a crosshair for my goggles. Only tested it once and wrecked a 1/4 mile out when I lost half a prop.
Still pitting it all back together.

cpmboy

You should be good to go. With that set up you can expect about 1/4 to 1/2 mile.
I've been out several time to a 1/3rd mile with that set up. Never had one dorp out over flat
ground.
It all depends on the terrain you fly. Hills and such will cause deflections.

You can expect fpv transmission to drop before the Futaba with that.

To up my range I got a crosshair for my goggles. Only tested it once and wrecked a 1/4 mile out when I lost half a prop.
Still pitting it all back together.

no hills here..but plenty of open/vast areas for me to goggled ......