How to program DJI Naza GPS to freeze at signal loss?

F450

Does anybody know if its possible to program the DJI Naza GPS to freeze in a hover at it's current altitude and position when there's a signal loss? And then also have it descend once the battery get's too low.

This would help in a situation where if I accidently fly out of range - signal loss, I then just have to walk near it to get signal back.

meme

This is not a good idea, Signal Loss can have multiple reasons. Just use the FS/ RTH Function, that will work perfect.

Kilby

Isn't there a "Hover" option for the failsafe inside the assistant? I know wookong has it, so I would assume that Naza does as well.

F450

I have RTH function set, but I want to test it out. If I fly out of signal range, RTH should automatically activate and return to my home point. Has anyone actually flown out of range and tested this out? I don't want my quad to keep going, going, and gone or simply crash. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

Well reading a thread on this board about a fly away it seems that this should be set as well. If WKM (in my case) loses signal it should return to home, but what happends if the the failsafe on the WKM doesn't work, as in the thread, it did a fly away and crashed. I see no reason why there shouldn't be redundancy in the failsafe, so it there is no signal and the WKm /naza fails the copter should do a slow decent by preprogramming the sticks through the RX. I am just looking at this now

kloner

Aerial DP
if a controller hits failsafe and flies away, it probably wasn't ever a loss of signal/failsafe so much as a failure on something like a motor and it fought till the end...... remember chevy chase vacation when he left the dog tied to the bumper and the cop pulled him over,,,, like that..... I'm sure there is always a possibility something really failed, but at that point short of having a complete second system to switch over too all the redundancy in the world wouldn't saved it......

450, it is going to flyback to where it was booted or where it first caught a gps signal. if that is inside your truck or a building, it's gonna try to go there. You'd be better off making a switch that mixes the failsafe into affect and using that to test it than shutting off your tx. you have to switch to manual then back to gps to get control back and you will want to take over when you see it unless your positive it's going to open ground.

Say you got behind a building or a magnetic field from power lines, it'll climb 20 meters and start heading your way

F450

Do you happen to know what the maximum and minimum amount of satellites the Naza GPS will fly with?

In a worst case scenario where I'm on a mountain and the quad flies through a cloud, I'm assuming the Naza GPS would lose a few satellites, possibly crash, or fall out of the cloud - but then it would need 20 sec or so to capture the satellites back before impact.

kloner

Aerial DP
i've had sattelite tv for 20 years. the only time it goes away is like when you see radar is red and it's pouring rain, lightning and thunder going off, like that. a cloud doesn't make much difference. Something solid like a roof on a building, things like that will make it loose signal. the way i read the manual, if gps is lost, it goes back to teh origional naza failsafe and does atti failsafe instead of gps failsafe. hovers but drifts and lands when pack gets low. not sure if low voltage stuff has to be enabled to work or not.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
WKM or Naza with GPS there are two options for failsafe (loss of signal from control TX and not to be confused with second stage low voltage if it is turned on), landing and return to home. RTH point is where the motors were started after the GPS has acquired a minimum of 6 satellites shown as a single red flash of the LED. Better yet wait for no red flashes to make sure it has a solid GPS lock, in the case of the Naza it should only be a few more seconds from a single flash, the WKM can take longer. If you set it to landing, obviously it will land wherever it happens to be and that is not necessarily a good thing.

The other failsafe that needs to be set is the TX/RX and not all radio sets support a "full" failsafe meaning they can capture the position of both sticks as the failsafe position. Some sets only capture throttle and default to the last good command from the TX on the remaining channels, so if you're doing a hard right bank when the signal goes out and have the throttle set to hover then it will likely keep circling and depending on prevailing conditions may slowly descend or possibly keep circling until it runs low on battery. With the more advanced JR/Spektrum you can set failsafe either way by either removing the binding plug or leaving it in during the binding process.

Anyway, either the WKM or Naza will stop and hover for a set time period before executing whatever has been programmed for failsafe (landing or RTH). The Naza manual says it will hover for 6 seconds before landing in landing failsafe mode, RTH if I recall correctly waits a little longer. If you have inccorectly set the radio failsafe during the bind procedure all kinds of unexpected events can take place if you lose radio signal as the RX will override anything the WKM/Naza does in the first few seconds before the time limit on the flight controller expires and the programmed landing/RTH begins, so it is critically important that the radio failsafe be setup along with the DJI failsafe for everything to work correctly.

Best way to test RTH is in the middle of a big open area, go outward a short distance and set GPS position hold at roughly 60 feet altitude which is close to the default RTH setting (programmable on the WKM but not the Naza), then trigger a failsafe via a switch on the TX if you have a radio with sufficient channels to set it up, otherwise your only option is to switch the TX off. While that may sound extreme, if the binding failsafe is setup correctly on the radio the end result will be the multi hovering for a few seconds then starting back to where it took off from IF you waited for a GPS satellite lock BEFORE starting the motors. That's the other thing that can cause unpredictable events on failsafe, if the controller didn't acquire enough satellites before takeoff then a failsafe event causes it to try and return to China... ;)

HTH

Ken

F450

RTRyder that actually happened to me before, on my Devo 10 TX I activated failsafe, it turned sharply away from me, and started heading to China. That really scared me, so I had to deactivate the failsafe switch and switch to manual mode in order to recover the quad.

Thanks for the reply I have been wondering about this, I guess my question using a WKM is there an order that that the failsafe works, ie the copter will obey the failsafes set by the futaba first (throtle just below halfway sticks centred)WKM and then go in to the RTH failsafe set by the WKM controller. I assume the WKM will always overide what is programmed by the futaba in it failsafes?

thanks very helpful discussion