Looking for some FPV advice

Sisco

I am new to all of this, but have been reading for a month or so. I am trying to wrap my mind around it because I am ready to make the plunge, but since most of you know the waters better than I do, it's wise to check the temps prior...

I have a F450 Flamewheel with Naza FC & GPS. I will upgrade to TBS Disovery when they come back in stock). I currently use a Spektrum DX7s and an AR8000 Rx. I plan to get the EzUHF for greater range tx/rx range.

For FPV this is my thought...
GoPro2 (for FPV and recording) on my quadcopter hooked to a 1.3ghz vtx w/ antenna
Ground station with 1.3ghz rx & antenna with a splitter.

One split going to a small 7" lcd (for a friend/spotter to view) mounted on the ground station

One split going to a 5.8ghz vtx to relay wirelessly to a Fatshark Dominator with 5.8ghz rx

My plan is to be able to get some good range, even with some foilage in the way.

Advice? Ideas? Comments?

Rick

kloner

Aerial DP
it all looks good. the only thing i'd consider is the 1.3 likes to mess with the naza gps unless you mount it all high, kinda like a tv sttion looking thing. i'd probably suggest starting and trying rubber ducks antenna on the video tx.

those 100mw fatshark vtx 5.8 are only $35 and are plenty for ground station stuff. everything yo metion i have ran or am running. i like futaba better, has a true 5volt ppm. does your radio have a module you can unplug? if not, consider hooking it up like this

http://www.dragonlinkstore.com/v2/node/12

ITechie

Kloner...new guy so apologies for semi-related question. I am getting a F450 Flamewheel with Naza FC & GPS like he is. Right now I am trying to pick the right radio for now (flying + GPS)...and future (AV & FPV)...I also like Futaba from my R/C Car racing days...Are only certain Futabas easily changed from today 2.4Ghz just flying to future (change radio from 2.4Ghz to ??) for the range needed for FPV?
Based on the frequency change need...and having a good number of channels (10...12?)...which of 8FG Super, 10CG, or ??? models would you recommend?

kloner

Aerial DP
sisco, discoveries are in stock at getfpv.com now

all futabas love to be changed from 2.4 to 433 via EzUHF....... it plugs into the trainer port. I'd always stick a battery external to the ezuhf when used so don't worry about the voltae coming out of the port. When were talking futaba and now it seems that there in the process of changing there frequency type there using. there new radios come with FHSS which is the same thing all the long range systems use, Dragonlink, ezuhf, etc..... it's an open source type thing and there all using it. there old FASST i'm not sure how long will e around. doesn't mean you'll never get a spare receiver later, just means it could be very expensive. usually the aftermarket kicks in ut who wants a turnigy receiver on there futaba system......

I'd double check though, but that seems to be what there all doing. Your coming in at the end of a season as an industry. The new stuff is announced all winter keeping us hard and ready to buy, then the crap comes out spring to summer to never at all sometimes......... wait or not to wait??????? what you buy for $500 might be $250 tomorrow....... it's a scary time to take a plunge. but if your ready to go, i wouldn't hesitate to get any futaba radio you like. i think it's the tz14 has all the bells, whistles and knobs AP guys love. For fpv i prefer something cheap, not so critical when you onboard looking out. my LOS radio is a JR 11x, my FPV radio is a futaba 8j...... $800 versus $250 and i can tell, but not by much. The link is so good i could care less about the rest, both uhf and with the included 2.4 setup. my JR tried dragon link uhf and it all tried to kill me, needed a change so i changed

ITechie

Kloner

Love the 'it all tried to kill me'...sounds like a Skynet type story. :highly_amused:
I understood having diff ships for diff jobs...did not think about diff radios in same regard (but I take your points).
Fancy radio could wait a bit until I get into AP..certainly until spring...my choices for now just flying GPS are temp use of DX6i lying around (if it will handle NAZA GPS?)...or get decent LOS radio (later becomes ok AV radio)...if you were buying a Futaba for that now...8FG Super good enough...other suggested models around that $?

kloner

Aerial DP
if i was buying a radio to dump or hang onto for the camera later, i'd look at the futaba 8j......... It doesn't have any cool sliders on the back, but has 2 3way switches to control all the goodies on your WK and has a knob for gains

003 (768x1024)_795.jpg

Way better than spektrum, alot less problems, similar price. tower has em on 3 pay usualy so you can break it down if that helps anything. Tower also has a coupon right now, like $30 off 200-300 purchases.....

ITechie

That is perfect....will keep the DX6i for the assorted BNF helis...even if I decide I want a fancier one later for a camera ship...this one will be good for FPV...so it's not a throwaway/sell off. I know it's been said by others already...but you are one helpful guy...thx...