Super-size my F550

Brant

I'm wanting to install larger motors, props, and battery on my F550. Not necessarily to carry more weight, but to better handle what is already there, and to increase flight time. My thought is to extend the motors out using the aluminum extentions now available on the market, then use bigger motors (possibly from the S800), 13 inch props, and a more powerful battery. I'll be using a PhotoHigher 360 A200 with a Nex5n and a (as of yet, undecided) video downlink system. Again my thought is that by going with oversized motor/prop/batt, the F550 should handle, perform, and fly longer since the bigger combinitation will be straining less than the stock combo to carry the same weight. Please let me know your thoughts and recomindations on this.

Thanks in advance,
Brant
Low Altitude Productions

mailman35

u arent going to fit anything over a 10in prop on the stock frame. you can swap for lower or higher kv motors if u want to stay within the 3-4s range.
and your flight times are going to take a hit no matter what due to the fact u are powering 6 motors.

Kilby

13inch props won't fit, even with the extensions. You can squeeze 12's on there, but they handle poor compared to the 11's. Your flight time will go down, not up, and I don't have any idea how you will use the S800 motors, if you can even buy them separately.

I'd rethink your plan before you start ordering stuff.

mailman35

its not only that considering the f550 as an adaptable platform is nuts, as its so limited by what u can do to it. the best ive seen is the y6 conversion kit for the 550 frame.
as far as the s800 motors, u would be looking at something really low kv, 300-450 maybe? to handle a 6s motor. but would anyone here trust the bottom plate to carry that much current?

jhardway

I agree 11 inch props seem to be the best so far, I extended my arm originally to a 650 size, however now I reduced it to 600, I only did that because I bought some carbon fiber and with 11 inch props, 600 range seem to be a good fit.

kloner

Aerial DP
didn't i read you can run 11" without extensions on the 550? just motors and props changed out. do the extensions change the way it deals with the power?

Kilby

I think you end up with about 2mm of space left between the props if you run 11's without the extensions. I designed some extensions that push it out to a 650 size and had them cnc'ed from carbon fiber. That seems to work great for me.

jhardway

like Kilby

I extended the length of the arm to 650 and like the way it flies, I just milled out extensions from CF also however since I am using 11" props I think at 600mm it will work the same, The other reason I did this was mainly for shagging weight, My original extensions where made of aluminum, each came in at 25grams, my carbon fiber are at 8g, So I was able to drop 100 grams which equates to something.

As of putting on 11 inch props I just laid two on the arms hub center point (where the motors would sit if there where not extensions) and they are extremely close to touching, like millimeters - 5 tops. Even if they do not hit you may want to think about the prop wash coming off the tips, at that closeness I am not sure but I believe you could suffer some lift efficiency issue, not a lot but some, or extra vibration from the over wash to say.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dewster

didn't i read you can run 11" without extensions on the 550? just motors and props changed out. do the extensions change the way it deals with the power?

Sorry for the confusion. I converted a F550 into a Y6. The spacing allows for 11 inch props without extensions.

Dewster

like Kilby

I extended the length of the arm to 650 and like the way it flies, I just milled out extensions from CF also however since I am using 11" props I think at 600mm it will work the same, The other reason I did this was mainly for shagging weight, My original extensions where made of aluminum, each came in at 25grams, my carbon fiber are at 8g, So I was able to drop 100 grams which equates to something.

As of putting on 11 inch props I just laid two on the arms hub center point (where the motors would sit if there where not extensions) and they are extremely close to touching, like millimeters - 5 tops. Even if they do not hit you may want to think about the prop wash coming off the tips, at that closeness I am not sure but I believe you could suffer some lift efficiency issue, not a lot but some, or extra vibration from the over wash to say.

Sorry for the confusion. I converted my F550 into a Y6 and that allowed for the use of 11 inch props without extensions.

Dewster

Attachments

• Raven Y6 rear.jpg
    Raven Y6 rear.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 292
  • Raven Y6 left side.jpg
    Raven Y6 left side.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 269
  • Raven Y6 right side.jpg
    Raven Y6 right side.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 356
  • Raven Y6 front.jpg
    Raven Y6 front.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 315

bordhead

I'm wanting to install larger motors, props, and battery on my F550. Not necessarily to carry more weight, but to better handle what is already there, and to increase flight time. My thought is to extend the motors out using the aluminum extentions now available on the market, then use bigger motors (possibly from the S800), 13 inch props, and a more powerful battery. I'll be using a PhotoHigher 360 A200 with a Nex5n and a (as of yet, undecided) video downlink system. Again my thought is that by going with oversized motor/prop/batt, the F550 should handle, perform, and fly longer since the bigger combinitation will be straining less than the stock combo to carry the same weight. Please let me know your thoughts and recomindations on this.

Thanks in advance,
Brant
Low Altitude Productions

I did the aerial media pros kit and WOW! worth every penny. with his kit with 11" graupners on 2 4cell batteries ,a v130 gimbal, droidworx landing gear and go pro i get 14 minutes and this thing is crazy fast.you will love it compared to a stock 550. remove landing gear and camera set up on 1 battery and this thing is a blast to fly..also have a set of ACP 11" props for this set up that i like better for video..less aggressive and dosent get away from you as fast. But i mostly fly graupners now that i just got the s800 for the camera . Ill be putting his kit on my 450 soon.. great customer service also..