calling all Kloners, calling all Kloners.........FPV Q

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
A friend wants to collaborate on filming some sailing races using Zephyrs instead of helis. I guess less risk and easier to get a nice fly by over the event. some questions:

1. When flying fpv can you use the gopro only if it doesnt show the wing in the frame for orientation? On the heli with a gimbal this would be a no no. but since the camera is fixed why would you need the separate pinhole cam?

2. If I got the 1.3Ghz(us legal) 600-800mw system and just an UNO RX, could I get a reliable mile out of it? I dont need to fly more than a mile but I want to know I wont lose signal instantly after signs of static.

3. What is a standard 2.4 Ghz radio good for? Using a JR 9503. Hoping I dont have to go buy any of the EZUHF or a 72Mhz Futaba.

Any insight would be great.

kloner

Aerial DP
yes you can use the gopro only and not have any trouble with orientation. if you get something like Eagle Tree OSD pro and the guardian, it has a artificial horizon. the dragonlink osd too, they have waypoints to target, return to home, ET has stabilization

yes, easily. could do that with the 300mw, probably your best bet unless you get lawmate for both, then get the 500mw

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_30_38&products_id=1017

is a good one

3. man, i've seen different results than others, but 2500 feet would be considered out there, would want to make sure return to home is dialed in if your going that route. With a $320 ezuhf added onto a 2.4 radio it'll go a consistent 10 miles, or a mile-mile and a half 2 feet off the deck. lower you are, alot less range you'll get. I've only messed with water on the river and it twists, turns and has alot of vegetation. i've read guys that do alot of ocean flying get crazy ranges because of the water. They don't have to deal with elevation to get over the curve of the earth super far out

The zII is an amazing platform, but man is she touchy to how shes built, and unlike a mr isn't reconfigurable once shes done. CG has to be dead on no matter what she weighs and flying her smooth is an art. it gets that wing wobble side to side bit with any excessive input. low rates, smooth stick movements are key, otherwise shes all over the place

kevinv033

Just want to second Kloner's recommendation of EzUHF. Would hate for you to get a lockout over the ocean. It maybe overkill, but if you're planning on flying 1280, it's just a safer alternative since the 1280 second harmonic can cause interference and lock out on your 2.4 RC.

kloner

Aerial DP
the 433 link is so superior it'll have you wanting to switch everything over. it doesn't glitch like 72 did back in the day. then it lets you use the best frequency for video, 2.4. that's what trappy ran in them videos you posted