Qav500 builds

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Just wanted to start a thread to exchange info about the Qav500.

View attachment 5320View attachment 5321

I had to change one little thing on the frame. I consider the Naza to prefer to be hard mounted and not on the vibration free area of the frame thus I build this arcylic bridge to connect it to the bottom plate of the frame.

View attachment 5322

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343049444.250075.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343049444.250075.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 366
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343049461.200637.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343049461.200637.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 401
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343049578.417277.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343049578.417277.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 327

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Still needs tuning but first non fpv flights with the setup 1080 pretty much vibration free. Just wobbles from the FC. There I was still flying though with the naza soft mounted etc.

http://vimeo.com/45795688

Boris

kloner

Aerial DP
is that you at the end? your friends jumping out of the water looked cool

That things crazy long aint it. is that 2.4 video? did it screw with the naza gps?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Im the one in the back, behind the guy pulling the funny face.

Japp its a 2.4 setup. Didn't have any problems with the GPS hold was rock solid. But there wasn't very much wind that day.

meme

Cool Boris, thanks for sharing!
Pre-ordered mine today, hope to have it soon in my hands. I am grounded with the Discovery at the Momente cause 4 DJI Motors out of 7 quitted her job, waiting hard for the MT2216 too :)

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
meme watch out when you build the QAV500, those vibration isolator little orange made by tim himself isolators have threads on top and bottom of them. If you tighten the screws that hold them to hard you can ripp out the threads. Was was close to learning the hard way. Although tim warned me before to not use screws with nyloc on them

Boris

Hi,
I'm building a TBS discovery which appears similar to the QAV500 with spider-like arms formation. Where is the COG for iMU/GPS calibration for the WKM? It looks like the COG will change drastically when you put on the battery unless you balance the front-end with a gopro-type camera.

Cheers

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Isn't there a marked spot on the TBS for the CoG ? And this indication of the CoG on a frame again might not work out depending on were you are placing your components. In general though these frames fly better if the CoG is really in the middle of the frame or the indicated CoG depending on the form and construction. Its not wanted that the back motors pair or front etc. have to work more than the others.

And yes you are right that what it comes down to these frames QAV500 and TBS are designed to be balanced out with a Gopro. Not having the Gopro on my TBS would lead be to have a rear heavy bird, were i would either have to place the naza/WKM IMU in the actually CoG or enter some mounting variables.

Boris

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for the input. It looks like Boris is correct, will need to balance the frame COG as near as possible to the marked frame centrepoint to ensure good flight characteristics. Will try this out.

Cheers

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
hmm just lost my QAV500 :( strange one no more stick control and at a certain point a strange drift first left an then right to the ground. Only thing I did when i noticed its going for the ground was to cut throttle completely, hope the motors are okay. But will be fun to diagnose what happened. It was strange anyway since the NAZA was on the QAV I constantly had these oscillations at full throttle forward flight or climbs. Not matter if attitude or manual mode.

View attachment 5470

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 247
Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
from the video it looked like when a wrestler gets hit, they just roll it out and not get hurt,,,, but them pics, dam dude, you f'd that thing up good.

Why you running the bunny ears side to side?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
What you mean with bunny ears the Ezuhf antennas ? They are normally not side to side but somewhat 90 degrees to each other. Damn and all the dirt on the frame turns out to be cow **** :) Funny its only the arms thought that are bent like crazy none of the plates have a crack or are hurt in anyway.

hugy

Where you flying in attitude mode? If so, it probbly was the naza's resetting it's level. The naza does some weird things in attitude mode when pushed really hard.

kloner

Aerial DP
it does when the gains are too hi or you got vibrations. she hates vibes

the whole idea in uhf is to have the antenna in your hand the same angle as what the antenna is in the sky. it is polarized like video used to be with rubber antennas. when you have rssi and you move the radio in your hand, my rssi will bounce from 100% down far depending how far away, at first i thought it was the system, but it's antenna polarization. in a plane, they don't do alot of tilting forward/back, they bank side to side, that's what the whole bunny ear side to side comes from. A quad barely banks at all, but man does it tilt. mine tilts 45 degrees, with the antennas the way i got mine no matter what i fly like i got one antenna straight up and is easy to match the polarization. even if you left them that angle but just turned it fore and aft would sure make getting away, down and consistant alot easier

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Where you flying in attitude mode? If so, it probbly was the naza's resetting it's level. The naza does some weird things in attitude mode when pushed really hard.

Yes in this flight morning time wanted to take it easy and check out the place and tested the video range i was in attitude mode. It had a lot more oscillations in the flight when it came to full forward and throttle flight than it did on the other days. Think i am going to stick one of the WKM onto one of the smaller FPV birds just to check the difference.

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
it does when the gains are too hi or you got vibrations. she hates vibes

the whole idea in uhf is to have the antenna in your hand the same angle as what the antenna is in the sky. it is polarized like video used to be with rubber antennas. when you have rssi and you move the radio in your hand, my rssi will bounce from 100% down far depending how far away, at first i thought it was the system, but it's antenna polarization. in a plane, they don't do alot of tilting forward/back, they bank side to side, that's what the whole bunny ear side to side comes from. A quad barely banks at all, but man does it tilt. mine tilts 45 degrees, with the antennas the way i got mine no matter what i fly like i got one antenna straight up and is easy to match the polarization. even if you left them that angle but just turned it fore and aft would sure make getting away, down and consistant alot easier

Ah thanks didn't think of it that way. Just looked at some mounting of the antennas on some FPV planes and thought the way i had it now its the way to go. Thanks gonna try it your way !

timnilson

Sorry about your crash.

I saw that you attached the Naza to the dirty part of the frame. I would strongly urge you against doing that as you will worsen your Naza's performance. The Naza (like all FCs) benefits from sitting on a clean / low vibration surface. Somewhere somebody was questioning if the Naza is performing worse when sitting on the clean part of the frame since it has an internal vibration filter. However, that statement is absolutely not correct -- the opposite is true. You want the FC to be as much shielded from vibrations as possible. The same way that a camera takes much better video when there are no vibrations, the Naza will give you much better performance when it does not have to figure out what's legit motion versus unwanted vibrations. The vibration mechanism of the QAV500 cleans up the vibrations, but it does note negatively impact the Naza by doing so. All of the real flight/frame motion is still going into the Naza at the same speed, just without the vibrations you don't want. The vibration isolators will not slow the feedback to the FC, which if they were, would negatively impact the FC's performance. I hope that makes sense.