It flies - what a learning curve!

mpilot

It flies - what a learning curve! **Still going left - Images Added

So got my DJI F450 on Friday been slowly building it over the weekend. Not done any RC flying or held and RC controller since my Tamiya Frog so everything has changed from the Tx (DX8) to the battery charger (Overlander LiPo balance charger) so many manuals and ways of doing things but I'm getting there.

Unfortunately its quiet windy here, so just a quick test flight. Got a bit of drift but that could be the wind and could not get altitude hold sorted.

Anyway thanks for answering my new user questions.

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
I started RC back when was 12-13 in 1982-83 with tamiya frog and a futaba box radio.

the altitude part, you want to make sure your centering the throttle stick to exactly mid stick, in dx8 you can see it if you look at throttle curve, will show 50% when your there. then click finished. this will also affect how flat it hovers,,,,,, try it

kloner

Aerial DP
Tx Cali section. hit start, move the sticks all around, move the throttle to exactly 50% and hit finish

mpilot

Just waiting for the LiPo to charge and I'll recalibrate. Is there a way of making a switch on the DX8 that flips to 50% throttle. Also I set my DX8 up in Heli mode rather than plane, is that ok?

kloner

Aerial DP
in heli mode you can assign the top back right switch to Throttle hold, put that to 50%. just remember when your sitting there trying to start your motors and it won't start to make sure that switch is off, when it won't come down as well.

The biggest thing the manual doesn't mention is the importance of disabling or centering the throttle trim and to calibrate it at 50%,,,,, that's how naza know whats mid stick throttle and flat and level ail/ele/rud

mpilot

Hi Kloner,

I'v just at here to 30 minute trying to get the Hold switch to set the throttle to 50%, however in the Monitor section all I see is when I flick the switch it jump to -100%, I cant work out how I raise it to 50%.

EDIT: I think I got it. It seems when you are i throttle curve and you scroll to H all the valus seect but you cant seem to change them for about 10 seconds, then the roller works and you can set all to 50%. All seems to work on the monitor screen, will go out now and try for real.

EDIT 2: Yep flick of switch and it holds the motors at 50% throttle. However I'm still get a to of drift and its not holding is altitude, moves up and down very easily.

kloner

Aerial DP
http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/Files/SPM8800-Manual.pdf

these crazy spektrum radios..... on page 25 it shows a throttle cut. i'm not so sure that's teh one i was thinking of. a solid way of doing it is to assign throttle curves to the flight mode switch and make a curve 50% all the way across.

On my never futaba radio, i have to move the stick where i want it set to then press a button so it sets it there. on my jr theres a roller dial you press to select the -100% then roll till it goes where you want it set to. if it goes -100 to +100, you probably want 0. confirm it all works like your thinking in assistant so the motors are shut off and you have a screen shot of whats happening in the naza

mpilot

http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/Files/SPM8800-Manual.pdf

these crazy spektrum radios..... on page 25 it shows a throttle cut. i'm not so sure that's teh one i was thinking of. a solid way of doing it is to assign throttle curves to the flight mode switch and make a curve 50% all the way across.

Yep that's exactly what I did. Can see it all working fine in the assistant, flick switch and stick become inoperable and it throttle is 50% :nevreness: - So that's all working however.....

I need to resolve why it won't actually hold its altitude. Moves up and down and drifts about, totally like some of the youtube videos where people put down their Tx and walk over to it a push it and it goes back into position.

I've checked everything: Naza facing the right way and in the middle of the lower board, motors on the right M1, M2 etx, motors spinning in the right direction, props on the correct motors....cant think what else to try.

kloner

Aerial DP
now go back through calibrate, hit start, roll the 4 stick movements around, before hitting finish, flick the throttle hold or f mode switch to make throttle where you want it to hold and hit finish. Go take off get it up 10 feet and fly it with the switch on. if it falls often and frequent, turn up your altitude gain, not atti, altitude. mine are 120-130 just for refrence

mpilot

now go back through calibrate, hit start, roll the 4 stick movements around, before hitting finish, flick the throttle hold or f mode switch to make throttle where you want it to hold and hit finish. Go take off get it up 10 feet and fly it with the switch on. if it falls often and frequent, turn up your altitude gain, not atti, altitude. mine are 120-130 just for refrence

Nice one :nevreness: that seems to have sorted the Altitude hold but its moving to the left and backwards (towards me) rather than hovering. Not sure how I correct it.

kloner

Aerial DP
try calibration in assistant one more time. Make sure to turn everything off then reboot on a flat surface without touching it and try again. if there is throttle trim, it has to be disabled or neutral. mine can be reduced to 0% in trim settings in the radio

check over your cg real good to. hold your mr on your finger and see how the balance is. to the side and back?

what are your gains at now? does it lift off and hover pretty good in manual? don't try it if not comftorable doing so

mpilot

Really appreciate your help here.

try calibration in assistant one more time. Make sure to turn everything off then reboot on a flat surface without touching it and try again. if there is throttle trim, it has to be disabled or neutral. mine can be reduced to 0% in trim settings in the radio

check over your cg real good to. hold your mr on your finger and see how the balance is. to the side and back?

what are your gains at now? does it lift off and hover pretty good in manual? don't try it if not comftorable doing so

Really appreciate your help here.

LiPo is charging so I'll have to wait until tomorrow now to fly but have found the Throttle Trim on the DX8 and it was on 5 so now on 0. Others are still on 5.

Noticed that the NAZA is slightly more to the rear than the front but I'll check all the the other items before I take the F450 apart and move it.

All gains are default apart from vertical which is 120%.

kloner

Aerial DP
after you got that trim to 0, recalibrate the radio in assistant one more time. That has to be perfectly centered when you hit finish, remember to use the switch to altitude hold before clicking finish

Try bumping up everything to 120 across the top row........ atti can stay 100, but will be happier just a tad lower like 95 across the bottom row. Give it a shot along with the fresh calibration on no throttle trim should have you flying like an ace

mpilot

So tried this early this morning before work. No wind today dead calm :)

DX8 throttle trim set to 0
Re-calibrated and flicked throttle 50% switch then stopped calibration
Set the gains
Write to Naza

Reboot NAZA and controller outside
Still get left and backwards movement and slight left rotation and altitude hold still not solid. Have to constantly correct with left stick controller moving to the right and forwards

What next, swap motors, left rear to right front and see if it pulls to the right and that way I'd know if the motor is different?
But battery underneath NAZA to lower COG?
Faulty NAZA?

Kilby

I started RC back when was 12-13 in 1982-83 with tamiya frog and a futaba box radio.

I'm in the same boat. I still have 2 Futaba Attack radios at my mom's house in storage. There are still parts of my Associated RC-10 laying around also, but I always loved my Frog. Fun days back then!

mpilot

So far I've tried

Rebinding the Rx
Swapping opposite props 8inch
Tried the 10" props
Various gains
Re-calibrated controls
Removed throttle trim
turned battery 90 degrees

NAZA is flat and almost dead centre, just a few mm more towards the rear:

None of these have made any difference. It takes off and moves to the left and backwards.

I'm thinking faulty NAZA

Few photos, red arms are forward.

View attachment 5392View attachment 5393View attachment 5394

Attachments

• IMG_0424.jpg
    IMG_0424.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_0425.jpg
    IMG_0425.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_0426.jpg
    IMG_0426.jpg