CS8 & WKM Setup Advice

"What are the main points about spektrum?"

Well it's relatively cheap and has telemetry build in plus DSM2 and DSMX compatible.

"I did wonder about the max prop size, I thought I had seen people using them with the axi 14" props?
If I want to fly a 5D max, could I run 14" props.
You say DJI works better with smaller props, everything I have read, previous to the s800 being released said that too, but then it has 15" props and seems to be very good."

People say they use 14x4.7 with AXI 2814 all the time ecalc says up to 4s only. http://www.ecalc.ch/xcoptercalc_e.htm?ecalc

I am not sure the S800 flies any better... Droidworx is releasing their new XM series any day know, so wait and see.

"What are the DJI upgrades your referring too?"

Nothing specific, it's just the two PH mounts I have the V2 360 AV200 and CX3 are very finicky and not as well designed as the price suggests.

Whoops I was meant to ask what points people don't like about Spektrum?
Hmm, ok what combo would you recommend, the 2814s with 11-13" props, or go up to the 4120/orbit 15/20 like your self and bigger props?

Well i would say if the Axi 2814 are too small for what you want to lift get the Axi 2826/12.

The orbit are too much money and the Axi4120 are too heavy.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
For the PH gimbal I am not sure if that is a good idea. By the time it will be out I am sure DJI will offer upgrades for the new gen of cameras that are comming.

Thats the thing. I don't think that DJI is willingly hurting themselves with the Zenmuse by restricting it to certain camera lens combos. As far as i understood for every different cam/lens combo on the zenmuse a different FW is needed and specific cam cradle.

If PH really manages to more or less use the same technology motor wise and open up the Hero 2000 to different cam setups still has to be proven. I guess the biggest thing in the background to make these direct drive motors do what they should is the algorithm driving them. Don't want to be an ars but looking at what the skyline is doing up to now I am a little shaky that the Heros won't have a bumpy road at the beginning or the Hero 2000 announced support for different cam models support will be dropped and rethought about.

Additionally to what DJI is doing straight out of the box PH will have to add user based calibration setup for the gimbal to support different cams lenses etc. Image how much can go wrong. Eventually the Heros will be measured by the performance of the Zenmuse and no one will be happy ( or even consider it a fail) if the Hero performance will be a little less than the Zenmuse´s. The benefit of using different cam/lenses will very quickly not be of importance anymore. !

Boris

I agree with you Boris. The Zenmuse is very good.

What I was saying was that it's easier for DJI to create attachments on the Zenmuse for newer cameras of similar dimensions and weight. Like they are doing with the GH2 version. If ever the need arises.

I didn't realize it was all down to the algorithms. I had assumed it would be like the existing gimbles on the market where it was all down to user tuning.
I will have a talk to Kim and see what he says about it/ the camera options and user tuning on the heroes.
Kim showed me this and it looks promising: https://vimeo.com/43952533.

Redridinghood: Are you saying I should consider using the Zenmuse on the Cinestar?

BorisS: Since you have both a Cinestar and a S800; what would you change on your Cinestar build if you did it again?
How does the footage compare on the Cinestar and the S800?

Speedy67

Video quality of a hacked GH2 is simply outstanding.

I wonder if it would be possible to create a setup with GH2 and Zenmuse that ends in a total weight of less than 5kg... With S800 it seems to end in 7kg+ :-(

Asking because of local laws over here in Germany.

Cheers

View attachment 5284

Using Ecalc it tells me that 15x5 prop and a 4s will me over the max current of a 2826-12.

With a 4s max prop size: 14x5
With a 5s:12x5
With a 6s:11x5

Am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

• ecalc.jpg
    ecalc.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 133

View attachment 7063

Using Ecalc it tells me that 15x5 prop and a 4s will me over the max current of a 2826-12.

With a 4s max prop size: 14x5
With a 5s:12x5
With a 6s:11x5

Am I doing something wrong?

15x5 props are huge. What is your AUW? For example my octo lifts 9 kilos with ease on 4S 14x4.

A nice prop for the AXI 2826/12 is a foxtech carbon 13x4 on 4S. If you need to lift big or swing 15 inch props get the extremely heavy AXI 4120.

Im unsure on my AUW, but just say a Cinestar 8 or hero gimble 1kg ish, zippy 8400 2826/12 and a OMD-5.
I could never find the weight of the Cinestar anywhere?

Only reason I had thought of 15x5 was for longer flight times.

Redridinghood: Can you run your machine on anything other than 4s?
Are the calculations right that I did on ecalc?

Since you have YS-X6 would you recommend it?

Ryan

Last edited by a moderator:

Redridinghood: Can you run your machine on anything other than 4s?
Are the calculations right that I did on ecalc?

Since you have YS-X6 would you recommend it?

Ryan

I only have 4s lipos at the moment but Plettenberg does not recommend running the Orbit 15-20 on 5s with 14x4 props.

Your ecalc testing seems correct the 15x5 are too big. Large props need low kv motors and high cell count.

Even if the YS-X6 outperforms the Wkm in most areas and I dislike DJI due to their dishonesty I cannot recommend one over the other at the moment.

Maybe wait and see what Autoquad 6 brings to the table.

remyd

RedRidinghood,

Can you remind me of your setup please. I currently have a CS8, Plettenberg motors, etc but i want to go bigger - i need to lift a payload of 8kg, that is without batteries. I would like a min of 15min runtime so i reckon 4kg of battery. I am going to start a new thread for advice shortly - look forward to comments from you and Boris and others.

Ryan, Quantum has worked ok for battery monitoring, also if you end up with the DJI ground station you can use that for voltage monitoring. For logging ESC's i have used Eagletree and if you end up with castle ESC's they will individually log.

Sounds interesting, Guess you'll be using 4 or 5 maxamp 11000mah? What camera and gimble will you be lifting? How have you found your current set up?
Would you change anything for your current set up, if needing to lift more wasn't part of the equation?

remyd

Hi Ryan,
Loving my current setup and i am still learning. I had lots of advice along the way mainly from Boris and Ken (RTRyder). Mine was built for a D800E for high resolution photography of agricultural areas.
CS8, Cinestar 2 axis gimbal (not that i really need it - only to pivot camera), Plettenberg Orbit 15-22, Maytech V1 Opto ESC's, DJI Wookong M 900Mhz groundstation, T8FG radio, R6208SB receiver, props Aerobot 13x6.5 and APC14.4.7., 5S Thunder Power 5000mA by 2 for 9 min flight)

What would i change - Really at this stage nothing but if i was building it again i would rather better (not that i have had probs) ESC's. I have had good experiences with Castle and i like their loggin experiences but i haven't used them for multirotors. The APC props are working well for me but so did the aerobot ones but i haven't had as much time to set things right and in my applicatio it isnt as critical as those using them for video.

Cheers,
Remy

Last edited by a moderator:

remyd

if you are building now or into the future note the firmware issues with some Octo at the moment. DJI isn't proactive in letting you know what is working and what isn't. The forums seem good at keeping track of these type of things prior to upgrading.

remyd

Hi Ryan, Visually yes it is lovely and smooth but i haven't tried to do any aerial video work where i could really see this. As Boris pointed out to me the prop, esc, motor and balance of the lot really determine stability and thus it is hard to recommend. The good thing about the APC plastic props is that they are cheap compared to the others and not a bad place to start rather than the other way around like i did. I may go back to the aerobot when i get time to do more testing but at this stage i am happy with the results.